Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
London 2012 Olympics: Women's Beach Volleyball
Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh during their golden moment after winning their third straight Olympic gold medal
London, England (August 9, 2012)
As could be expected with the quality of the top four seeds who also ended up to be the women's final four, the final stats reveal that each of the final four teams were the team and individual leaders in every statistical category at this year's beach volleyball competition of the London 2012 Olympic Games that ended Wednesday after 11 days of competition.
All the crowd-pleasing, heart-pounding action was held in the purpose-built, sold-out 15,000-seat stadium on the grounds of the iconic Horse Guards Parade as the majestic venue includes a portion of adjacent St. James Park in historic central London.
With the men's medal matches Thursday night, the women's medal matches saw an all-USA gold medal match where the iconic Misty May-Treanor/Kerri Walsh won their unprecedented third consecutive gold medal by defeating compatriots Jennifer Kessy/April Ross in two sets and in the bronze medal match Brazil's Juliana Silva/Larissa Franca came from behind to beat China's Chen Xue/Xi Zhang producing impressive final team and individual official statistics reflect the depth and quality of the field that played so artistically, passionately and gracefully at Horse Guards Parade.
A total of 24 women's beach volleyball teams from 17 countries started playing in London onJuly 28 in the purpose-built, sold-out 15,000-seat stadium on the grounds of the iconic Horse Guards Parade as the majestic venue also included a portion of adjacent St. James's Park in historic central London. The women's competition closed with the most iconic women's team in the sport's history taking a final golden bow.
After Thursday's Day 11 of this Olympic Games women's beach volleyball competition, of the 54 women's matches held, 32 were two-set matches with six seed breakthroughs with an average time of 36 minutes per match. The other 22 matches all went to the tie-break saw just five seed breakthroughs with an average time of 54 minutes.
USA's gold medallists May-Treanor/Walsh led this year's London 2012 Olympic games in two of four team categories as well as two of six and second in one other individual categories. USA's silver medallists Kessy/Ross won one team category, were second in another, led two individual categories and were tied for second in one and second in another.
Brazil's bronze medallists Juliana/Larissa where second in one team category, third in another and individually, they were third in one category. China's fourth place finishers Xue/Zhang also had impressive stats in this year's Olympic Games. They won one team category and were second in two and third in the other while individually they led two categories, were tied for second in one, and second in three others.
USA's legendary medallists May-Treanor/Walsh, three-time FIVB SWATCH World Champions (2003, 2005, 2007) who have now retired with an unparalled Olympic record of 21 consecutive match wins without a loss (7-0 this year) and a 42-1 won-loss record in Olympic sets, led this year's Games as a team in blocks with 25 and digs with 151. Individually, May-Treanor led in digs with 107 and were tied for second in points with 125 while Walsh led the Olympics with 24 blocks.
USA's Kessy/Ross, 2009 FIVB SWATCH World Champions who were playing in their first Olympic Games, were tied the tournament lead in attack success percentage at 58% and they were second in aces with 23. Individually, Ross led in attack success percentage at 62%, led in serve speed at 81 at km/h, second in aces with 14 and tied for second in points with 125.
Brazil's Juliana/Larissa, the 2011 FIVB SWATCH World Champions and six-time FIVB SWATCH World Tour season point champs, as a team in these Olympics were second in digs with 135 and third in aces with 22. Individually, Larissa finished third in digs with 79.
China's Xue/Zhang, bronze medallists at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, as a team led in aces with 28, were tied for the lead in attack success percentage at 58%, second blocks with 22 and third in digs with 129 to be the only final four team in the top three in all four team categories. Individually, Zhang led in points with 139 and was second in digs with 90 while Xue led in aces with 21, was second in blocks with 22, second in attack success percentage at 61% and tied for second in points at 125.
In the team stats catagory, Russia's Anastasia Vasina/Anna Vozakova were third in blocks with 20 and tied for third in attack success percentage at 55% were Brazil's Maria Antonelli/Talita Antunes, Germany's Katrin Holtwick/Ilka Semmler and Greece's Vasiliki Arvaniti/Maria Tsiartsiania.
Individually for the tournament, Russia's young Vasina was third in blocks with 20 and Austria's Stefanie Schwaiger was third in aces with 13..
In the serving speed catagory, behind USA's Ross, second was Germany's Sara Goller (79 km/h).
In some of the miscellaneous numbers, the longest women's match was one hour, nine minutes when Russia's Ekaterina Khomyakova/Evgeniya Ukolova beat Canada's Marie-Andree Lessard/Annie Martin 21-18, 28-30 and 15-13 on July 28. The shortest match length was 28 minutes in three seperate matches, one each on July 28, July 30 and August 1.
The highest scoring two-set match is 87 recorded August 5 when USA's Kessy/Ross defeated Czech Republic's Kristyna Kolocova/Marketa Slukova, 25-23, 21-18 in 49 minutes and the highest scoring three-set match is 128 was July 31 when Brazil's Maria Antonelli/Antunes defeated Germany's Sara Goller/Laura Laudwig, 21-19, 29-31 and 15-13 in one hour, five minutes.
The highest scoring women's set was during Brazil's Antonelli/Antunes three-set win over Germany's Goller/Ludwig when the German's won the second set 31-29 on July 31.
Single-match leaders were aces—tie between Brazil's Maria Antonelli and Switzerland's Simone Kuhn with seven each; blocks—Russia's Vasina has the top two individual matches with nine against China and eight against Switzerland and digs—China's Zhang with 27 against USA's May-Treanor/Walsh in the semifinals on Aug. 7.
Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings won their third straight gold medal in Olympic beach volleyball on Wednesday. The pair defeated fellow Americans Jennifer Kessy and April Ross 21-16, 21-16. (Aug. 8)
Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
2012 London Olympics - videos
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
- USA Women Rally Past Australia Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Bulgaria and Italy Have to Turn Odds in Men's Volleyball Semifinals
- Brazil and USA to Fight Once Again for Women's Volleyball Olympic Gold
- Brazil Dominates Japan: Advances to Women's Volleybal Olympic Finals
- Brazil's Women's Volleyball Coach: 'We Deserve This'
- USA Women Advance to Volleyball Final after Routing Korea in Straight Sets
- Brink and Reckermann Win Men's Beach Volleyball Gold in Thriller
- Latvian Pair Beat Dutch Duo for Men's Beach Volleyball Bronze
- Smooth Morning of Qualifying; Team USA Still Leading Decathlon
- LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis
- Kirilenko Stars as Russia Advances to Semifinals
- Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
- Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
- Team USA has Momentous, 7-Medal Night at the Track
- Walsh and May-Treanor Win Third Olympic Gold in Women's Beach Volleyball
- Brazil's Juliana and Larissa Fight Back to Win Bronze in Women's Beach Volleyball
- USA Men Halted by Croatia 8-2 in Water Polo Quarterfinals
- Brazil, Italy, Russia and Bulgaria Advance to Men's Volleyball Semis
- USA Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Italy in Quarterfinals
- Women's Volleyball Semifinal Preview: USA versus Korea
- USA Men 1-2 in Decathlon after Morning Session
- Shock as China's Liu Xiang Crashes out of 110m Hurdles
- Security Alert in Britain After Seven Cameroonian Athletes Disappear
- Track and Field: Four-medal Night for Team USA
- Kessy and Ross Advance to Gold Medal Beach Volleyball Match
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh to Play for Gold Again
- Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
- USA Women's Volleyball Team Advances to 4th Straight Olympic Semifinal
- Anthony Davis: Learning Experience
- Defense Stars for USA Women in 91-48 Rout of Canada
- Becky Hammon's Clutch Play Helps Russia Top Turkey
- Melo on Groin Hit by Argentina Player: It was 'Cheap Shot'
- Water Polo: USA Women to Play for Gold
- Jenn Suhr Wins Emotional Gold
- A Suhr Gold
- Team USA Knocks Off Argentina 126-97, Advances to Quarterfinals as Top Seed
- Olympic Beach Volleyball: Gibb and Rosenthal Finish in Fifth
- Man Nabbed For Bottle Toss on Olympic Track Just Before 100M
- Kenya's Kemboi's 'Trial By Fire' Earns Gold in 3000m Steeplechase
- Gold For Italian Campriani in Rifle; Heartbreak For USA's Emmons
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- American Judoka Disqualified for Marijuana Use
- Great Britain Crushes China, Nets First Olympic Basketball Win
- Lin Dan Defends Badminton Crown as China Sweeps Olympic Event
- Andy Murray a Hero After Toppling Federer in Olympic Tennis Final
- Michael Phelps Caps Career with 4x100M Medley Relay Triumph
- Jessica Ennis Brings Joy to Home Fans with Heptathlon Win
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Usain Bolt Wins 2nd Consecutive Olympic 100 Gold
- Men's 100-Meters: Race for the Ages
- Sanya Richards-Ross Finally Wins Elusive 400-meter Gold
- Williams Sisters Do It Again: Win Women's Tennis Doubles Gold
- USA Women Top Italy 9-6; Advance to Water Polo Semifinals
- U.S. Women's Volleyball Team Finishes Pool Play Undefeated
- May-Treanor and Walsh Overwhelm Italy to Advance to Semi-Finals
- Kessy and Ross Make it to Olympic Beach Volleyball Semifinals
- Ben Ainslie Tops Finn Event, Becomes Most Decorated Sailor in History
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Settles for Silver in Vault
- Andy Murray Beats Federer to Capture Olympic Gold
- Top Aussie Coach Comes Out in Embattled Ye Shiwen's Defense
- Tirunesh Dibaba Retains 10,000-Meter Gold in Grand Style
- Bolt and Blake Cruise into 100M Semis; 'Blade-Runner' Stars in 400M
- End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
- Serena Williams Achieves Golden Slam
- Gibb and Rosenthal Chart Win over Russia in Men's Beach Volleyball
- May-Treanor and Walsh Continue to Dominate in Women's Beach Volleyball
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com