LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis with Win Over Australia
Caroline Williams, USA Basketball
Kobe Bryant Leads Team USA With 20 Points
While Kobe Bryant Leads With 20 Points, LeBron James Records 11 Points, 14 Rebounds, 11 Assists
A triple-double from LeBron James (Miami Heat) and 20 points from Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers), including four straight 3-pointers in a 67-second span in the fourth quarter, helped the U.S Olympic Men's Basketball Team (6-0) overpower Australia (3-3) 119-86 to advance to the semifinals of the 2012 Olympic Games on Wednesday night at the North Greenwich Arena in London, England.
The USA will face Argentina (4-2), which topped Brazil (4-2) 82-77 to advance, in the semifinals at 9 p.m. (4 p.m EDT) on Aug. 10. The USA previously beat Argentina 126-97 in its final preliminary round game on Aug. 6, as well as in exhibition play, 86-80, on July 22 in Barcelona, Spain.
"We knew that we were going to play a very athletic, quick, well-coached team in Australia, who were coming off a couple of big wins," said USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski (Duke University). "They pushed the ball down the court against us well. I thought we played well in the first half, except for we didn't get back sometimes and they got about 10-12 points in transition.
"We got off to a horrible start in the second-half, and I am proud of my guys because we were playing well in the first-half, got that bad start and then they played great. The offensive rebounding was a key factor. Kevin Love had eight offensive rebounds and our defense picked up. Kobe made a couple big defensive plays that went to the offensive end, and we kind of exploded there," added Coach K.
LeBron James finished with 11 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists for the first triple-double in U.S. Olympic history (since assists were kept as an official statistic in 1976), and his 12 assists tied the U.S. Olympic single-game high. Additionally, shooting 19-of-46 from 3-point, the USA tied its U.S. Olympic record of 46 3-point attempts, which it set on Aug. 2 against Nigeria.
While the final score was a 35-point blowout, Australia was down by just 14 points at the start of the fourth quarter. Three of Bryant's four 3-pointers came off of assists from James.
"I'm proud of the win, that's all that matters to me," James said. "I don't really care about me statistically. The win is more important; I'm happy to be able to move on."
Rounding out five U.S. players in double digits were Deron Williams (Brooklyn Nets) with 18 points and 7-of-7 shooting from the free throw line; 17 points from Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks); 14 points from Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); and a 10-point, 11-rebound double-double from Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves).
"On this team you really get a lot of easy shots because you play with a lot of really good players," said Bryant who connected on 6-of-10 3-pointers in the game. "I just found myself in a really good rhythm with some daylight to shoot the ball, and they were going in for me."
Durant opened the game with a 3-pointer and both teams sank two threes in the first two minutes to help bring the score to an 8-8 tie at 8:01. The score again was tied at 10-10 and 12-12 before the USA gained some distance with free throws from James, a fast break bucket from Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers) and a three-point play from James that left the USA ahead 19-12 at 4:08. After two scores from Australia, the USA put together another run, this time a 7-0 stretch to grab control 26-16 following bonus free throws from Williams at 1:09. Westbrook sank two more free throws to help counter five points form Australia, and despite not scoring from the field in the last 2:39 of the first quarter, the USA led 28-21.
Durant also opened the second period with a 3-pointer, and the U.S. lead had reached 12 points, 39-27, when Williams connected from deep at 7:32. Australia fought back and closed within eight points several times before Krzyzewski called a timeout at 4:37 with the USA leading 44-36. Anthony sank a 3-pointer out of the break, and the USA outscored Australia 12-6 to take a 56-42 lead into the halftime locker room.
Australia once again rallied and went on an 11-0 run to open the second half and cut the distance to three points, 56-53 after consecutive 3-pointers from Australia's Joe Ingles. Durant ended the drought with a 3-pointer at 7:56, and with the lead at five points, 63-58 at 6:01, a James' free throw was followed by consecutive 3-pointers from Bryant, and then a three-point play from James that helped restore a 14-point margin, 72-58, at 4:12. Each team scored 12 more points in the stanza before the third quarter buzzer sounded with the score at 84-70.
"We knew they were going to come out and play tougher; they hit some shots," Durant said. "But I think we did a great job of responding to that run and making our own little run as well. We got back up by 14 and kind of cruised from there."
Australia trailed 96-80 in the fourth quarter before Bryant completely put the game out of reach. Knocking in his first 3-pointer of the quarter at 5:50, he followed that up with threes at 5:14, 4:57 and 4:43. Overall, it was the start of a 16-8 run that ended the game with the USA securing a 119-86 win.
Australia was whistled for 30 personal fouls in the game, helping the USA to finish 22-of-32 (.689) from the free throw line. The USA also owned a 52-42 advantage on the glass.
San Antonio Spurs guard Patty Mills lead Australia with 26 points.
Also today, Russia (5-1) beat Lithuania (2-4) 83-74 to move on to the semifinals, where it will meet Spain (4-2), which topped France (4-2) 66-59 to advance. The bronze and gold medal games will be played at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. (6 a.m. and 10 a.m.), respectively, on Aug. 12.
"It's somewhat of a rivalry. I definitely think so," Paul said of the USA's semifinal opponent Argentina. "This will be our third time playing them in the last two or three weeks. We've got to get out to a good start. They are going to have their crowd behind them and we've got to come out and impose our will."
LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis with Win Over Australia
2012 London Olympics - videos
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
- USA Women Rally Past Australia Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Bulgaria and Italy Have to Turn Odds in Men's Volleyball Semifinals
- Brazil and USA to Fight Once Again for Women's Volleyball Olympic Gold
- Brazil Dominates Japan: Advances to Women's Volleybal Olympic Finals
- Brazil's Women's Volleyball Coach: 'We Deserve This'
- USA Women Advance to Volleyball Final after Routing Korea in Straight Sets
- Brink and Reckermann Win Men's Beach Volleyball Gold in Thriller
- Latvian Pair Beat Dutch Duo for Men's Beach Volleyball Bronze
- Smooth Morning of Qualifying; Team USA Still Leading Decathlon
- LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis
- Kirilenko Stars as Russia Advances to Semifinals
- Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
- Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
- Team USA has Momentous, 7-Medal Night at the Track
- Walsh and May-Treanor Win Third Olympic Gold in Women's Beach Volleyball
- Brazil's Juliana and Larissa Fight Back to Win Bronze in Women's Beach Volleyball
- USA Men Halted by Croatia 8-2 in Water Polo Quarterfinals
- Brazil, Italy, Russia and Bulgaria Advance to Men's Volleyball Semis
- USA Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Italy in Quarterfinals
- Women's Volleyball Semifinal Preview: USA versus Korea
- USA Men 1-2 in Decathlon after Morning Session
- Shock as China's Liu Xiang Crashes out of 110m Hurdles
- Security Alert in Britain After Seven Cameroonian Athletes Disappear
- Track and Field: Four-medal Night for Team USA
- Kessy and Ross Advance to Gold Medal Beach Volleyball Match
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh to Play for Gold Again
- Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
- USA Women's Volleyball Team Advances to 4th Straight Olympic Semifinal
- Anthony Davis: Learning Experience
- Defense Stars for USA Women in 91-48 Rout of Canada
- Becky Hammon's Clutch Play Helps Russia Top Turkey
- Melo on Groin Hit by Argentina Player: It was 'Cheap Shot'
- Water Polo: USA Women to Play for Gold
- Jenn Suhr Wins Emotional Gold
- A Suhr Gold
- Team USA Knocks Off Argentina 126-97, Advances to Quarterfinals as Top Seed
- Olympic Beach Volleyball: Gibb and Rosenthal Finish in Fifth
- Man Nabbed For Bottle Toss on Olympic Track Just Before 100M
- Kenya's Kemboi's 'Trial By Fire' Earns Gold in 3000m Steeplechase
- Gold For Italian Campriani in Rifle; Heartbreak For USA's Emmons
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- American Judoka Disqualified for Marijuana Use
- Great Britain Crushes China, Nets First Olympic Basketball Win
- Lin Dan Defends Badminton Crown as China Sweeps Olympic Event
- Andy Murray a Hero After Toppling Federer in Olympic Tennis Final
- Michael Phelps Caps Career with 4x100M Medley Relay Triumph
- Jessica Ennis Brings Joy to Home Fans with Heptathlon Win
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Usain Bolt Wins 2nd Consecutive Olympic 100 Gold
- Men's 100-Meters: Race for the Ages
- Sanya Richards-Ross Finally Wins Elusive 400-meter Gold
- Williams Sisters Do It Again: Win Women's Tennis Doubles Gold
- USA Women Top Italy 9-6; Advance to Water Polo Semifinals
- U.S. Women's Volleyball Team Finishes Pool Play Undefeated
- May-Treanor and Walsh Overwhelm Italy to Advance to Semi-Finals
- Kessy and Ross Make it to Olympic Beach Volleyball Semifinals
- Ben Ainslie Tops Finn Event, Becomes Most Decorated Sailor in History
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Settles for Silver in Vault
- Andy Murray Beats Federer to Capture Olympic Gold
- Top Aussie Coach Comes Out in Embattled Ye Shiwen's Defense
- Tirunesh Dibaba Retains 10,000-Meter Gold in Grand Style
- Bolt and Blake Cruise into 100M Semis; 'Blade-Runner' Stars in 400M
- End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
- Serena Williams Achieves Golden Slam
- Gibb and Rosenthal Chart Win over Russia in Men's Beach Volleyball
- May-Treanor and Walsh Continue to Dominate in Women's Beach Volleyball
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com