10 Most Unique Fountains in the World
Whether you prefer to sit on the edge, breathe in the mist, or dip your hands in the water, fountains have always been a people-magnet. Fountains are usually such attention grabbers because of their exquisite architecture and soothing aquatic sounds. However, we decided to turn the tables, and find some of the less "traditional" fountains in the world. With this in mind the members and editors of VirtualTourist.com have compiled this list of the most unique fountains in the world. So grab your pennies and start making some wishes!
1. TINGUELY FOUNTAIN,
The Tinguely Fountain is a playful mishmash of unique metal sculptures, machines, and other gizmos all moving together in a pool of water outside of the creator's museum. The fountain is a fun visual of twisted metal, sprightly spouting water in perfect aquatic harmony.
2. LOTTE DEPARTMENT STORE FOUNTAIN,
"The Aquatique Show" sounds like something you'd find in
3. INVERTED FOUNTAIN,
A common focal point for prank attacks during the UCLA-USC football rivalry, the Inverted Fountain carries a surprising and rich history. The university landmark was inspired by a challenge from
4. NAM VAN LAKE CYBERNETIC FOUNTAIN,
Lasers, lights and computers? This is not your usual terminology when describing a fountain, but this manmade wonder is the largest of its kind in
5. MAGIC TAP FOUNTAIN, YPRES,
The mere sight of this fountain will literally stop you dead in your tracks. The fountain appears as a running water faucet, with no visible signs of suspension. This optical illusion exists in many different countries, but leaves the same astonished expression on people's faces. How in the world did they do that?
6. LA DANSE DE LA FONTAINE EMERGENTE,
You can look, but don't touch! This serene picture of beauty is actually a deadly stream of liquid mercury. Built in 1937, designer
8. EHEKARUSSELL-BRUNNEN, NUREMBERG,
For better, for worse; in sickness and in health; till death do us part. These vows are provocatively depicted in a grand fountain that sits atop a subway manhole. This fountain made waves with its graphic portrayal of the extreme sides of marriage. The six-sided panel ranges from a young, amorous couple lying in bed together, to an enraged wife strangling her skeletal husband.
9. BELLAGIO CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN,
10. STRAVINSKY FOUNTAIN,
An old gothic church offers an ironic backdrop to a colorful and modern amalgamation of animals, big red lips and metal sculptures. This fountain features 16 separate pieces inspired by Stravinsky's musical work. The eclectic scene was created by husband and wife duo,
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- The Oltrepo Pavese: Milan's Secret Tuscany Hinterland
- France's D-Day Beaches: A Powerful Memorial
- Taking the Kids On Road Trips Despite Sky-High Gas Prices
- 10 Most Unique Fountains in the World
- Should Tarmac-Delay Rules Become Law?
- Are Mobile Devices Now Travel Essentials?
- Delta Airlines Adds Semi-Premium Economy
- Croatia's Coastal Delights
- Taking the Kids and Opting For a Small Boutique Hotel
- The 10 Best Open-Air Theaters Across the Globe
- Travelers Rights in Europe
- Airline Rules Were Meant to Be Broken By Elites
- Life Among the Ruins of Budapest
- Top 10 Sensational Summer Music Festivals
- More on the 'Myth' of Unchanged Hotel Bed Sheets
- You Hate Airline Fees and Tight Seats -- Who Knew?
- Taking the Kids to San Francisco's Museums
- Taking the Kids on a Cruise to Europe
- Italy's Ravenna: Once Powerful and Still Glorious
- Top 10 Things to Do in London
- Some People Just Know How to Fly and Some Don't
- Taking the Kids On a Safe and Green Trip to Mexico's Riviera Maya
- Traveling to Europe with Kids
- The Great Passport Flap
- Top 10 Arches
- The Truth About 'Hidden' Airline Fees
- 'Rule 240' Weak, But Not Dead
- Spain's Granada: Moor Than the Sum of its Parts
- Taking the Kids to Monterey
- 10 Great American Street Painting Festivals
- Hotels Don't Always Change the Sheets Between Guests
- Summer Trip? Check Your Plastic
- Frontier Airlines Lowers Change Fees
- Taking the Kids to the Grand Canyon
- Nicaragua's Wheel of Fortune
- Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers
- Frequent Flier Program Changes You Can Root For
- Tour Packages a Better Deal -- Really?
- Spring Break in a Day
- Sunday Morning: Vienna-Style
- The Top 'Quality' Airline
- Top 10 Architecturally Stunning Libraries
- Taking the Kids: When a Return Trip Makes You Smile at the Memories
- Airlines Fall in Love with Fuel Surcharges All Over
- How to Plan a Multifamily Vacation
- European Trains: Still a Great Way to Travel
- Renting a Car in Europe
- Taking the Kids: Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii to Try to Make Sense of Ancient History
- Don't Ignore Travel Scam Warnings
- Top Ten Flower Markets
- The Travel Industry Moves to Pre-empt Customer Complaints
- Ten Great Movie Theaters Across the Globe
- A Matter of Taste: Europeans on American Food
- When the Fuel Surcharge Costs More Than the Ticket
- When You're Really, Really Footloose
- Continental and United Airlines Closer than Ever
- Taking the Kids: Looking For Those Unique Moments in Orlando
- Slovenia Offers Up Charm Without the Crowds
- 10 Great Cities For Night Owls
- Stop Obsessing Over Airfares and Book Now
- Airport Lounges for the Rest of Us
- Athens, Greece: Offbeat Athens
- Taking the Kids: Putting on the Ritz in Ski Country
- A Few New Websites and Gimmicks
- Six Cards You Need on Your Trip
- 10 Great Places for Dogs and Dog Lovers
- Mandatory Housekeeping Fees May Be Just Around the Corner
- Taking the Kids to Atlantis
- Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters
- Cheap Sleeps in Europe
- Indexed Airfares: Deception or Deal?
- Top 10 Easy Rules of Traveling
- Top 10 Places for Afternoon Tea in London
- US Airways Closes a Loophole But Opens a Can of Worms
- United Airlines Sticks with Economy Plus
- TSA Screenings Prompt Cries of Police-State Tactics
- Finding a Good Cruise Agent
- An Inside and Outside Look at Madrid
- Looking at Europe: Part 2
- World's Top Ten Circular Buildings and Structures
- Will This Be the Year for Passenger Rights?
- Delta Drops Mileage Expiration
- Taking the Kids: But Not on an Adult-Only Romantic Getaway
- Taking the Kids: On a Different Spring Break
- Top 5 Vehicles for Ski Week
- Taking the Kids: Learning to Scuba Dive
- World's Top 10 Scariest Places to Look Down
- Top 10 Amenities Travelers Wish Still Existed
- Blockbuster Art Exhibit? Get a Package?
- Taking the Kids To Broadway - 2011
- Discovering Oslo's Inner Tiger
- Losing It All ... and Bouncing Back
- Delta Airlines Opts for Semi-Premium Economy
- 'Easier' Frequent Flyer Seats? Yes -- and No!
(c) 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here