Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
by Jules Witcover
The centerpiece of the day's voting was the Republican primary for the
Despite increasing sign-ups for the much-maligned Obamacare, the
In a determined pushback against the tea party's intramural threat, powerhouse independent groups like the
Tillis comfortably won with about 45 percent to 25 for Brannon, avoiding a runoff, no doubt to the political discomfort of Sen.
The primary victories of Tillis, the renominations of Rep.
It was of particular pleasure to Boehner. After a long stretch of newcomer House Republicans bucking his efforts to revive a modicum of compromise with the Democratic minority, he has recently been given to labeling them whiners.
At the same time, there is ample evidence that the tea party movement has persuaded establishment Republicans in
This very trend should make it easier for Democrats to paint the opposition as alien to the more moderate Republicanism that once marked the party reputation under
But loyalty in either party is not what it used to be, and in any event it's risky to read too much in party primary results in non-presidential election years. General interest is much lower and voter turnout relatively sparse, with incumbents holding the high cards if only because of name recognition and familiarity.
Turnout is a problem in all midterm congressional elections, because the outcome may not seem as critical to average voters' concerns as choosing a president once every four years. Obama's task is somehow to convey the urgent conviction among Democrats and like-minded independents that unless they vote in numbers as if the presidency were at stake, his remaining two years in it may well be mere treading water.
As the Republicans seem engaged with their tea party faction in a battle for the direction of the
Obama's personal approval rating, hovering around 40 percent, suggests an attitude among too many Americans that they don't much care now. They may have become so indifferent to him, and indeed to all official
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Reading the Republican Primary Leaves"