Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
by Cal Thomas
Miami Dolphins safety
How quickly things have changed from the recent experiences of
When the Broncos released Tebow, he was mocked again, not only for his faith, but for claiming to be a virgin who wanted to save himself for marriage. In an increasingly secular and licentious culture this sort of thinking and expression, apparently, must be silenced.
During Tebow's brief professional career, TV ratings spiked, jerseys and other gear with Tebow's name on it sold well and, according to Ad Age, "In terms of influence, Mr. Tebow is now in the top 40 of 3,000 celebs ... on par with
Yet, Tebow endured a sometimes silent and often shouted campaign to brand him in a negative way. He was called "polarizing." It was said he had "baggage," though his "bags" were considerably lighter than many other professional athletes who have had drug and alcohol problems, incidents with guns at strip clubs and numerous out-of-wedlock children.
After the Broncos cut Tebow, haters took to the comment page of
"Awwwww. I bet this makes the Baby Jesus weep. Tim should have prayed more."
"Hey Tim, are you getting the message now? Nothing fails like prayer."
"We're all going to h--l and we're excited about it. Don't be jealous."
"Where is your God now, Tebow?"
NFL players who joined in the mockery were not fined, disciplined or forced into education training camp. Such is the cultural double standard between the way
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights"