Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
by John Kass
Why is Benghazi important to Americans?
You'll hear a lot about Benghazi in coming days and you'll hear the familiar screeching of partisan politics, now that House Speaker
If the past is any guide, you'll hear Republican righteous vindictiveness and Democratic mockery and defensiveness. There will be so many politicians jabbering into microphones, so many practiced mouths curled into what is supposed to look like spontaneous anger, that you'll see right through much of it.
And then many of you will be tempted to turn away and tune out. That's to be expected. Some of the politicos are counting on just that. They're betting on it, and you should probably figure that some of the screaming isn't designed to inform but to turn you off to the whole thing.
One of the problems is that many Republicans have used Benghazi as a club. And many Democrats have shrieked that it was all about nothing. So much noise.
So little light, until very recently, when a few previously hidden
But first, remember that four Americans died there in Benghazi: Ambassador
They weren't murdered because they were Democrats or Republicans. They were murdered because they were Americans.
And even that might not move some of you. Thousands of Americans have been killed in
So in the minds of some, four more dead are just four more dead. Of all the good people we've lost overseas in recent years, all of those who were the best of us, you could say, what's four more?
All of that has been set out for you as a rationale not to care about the issue of Benghazi. But consider that in recent days, a rock was moved and something was found.
Remember that the attack in Benghazi took place on
The terrorist attack in Benghazi was immediately characterized by the
That wasn't the case. There was nothing impromptu or spontaneous about the attack that killed Ambassador Stevens and the three others. It was a planned terrorist strike.
And still, even though this was known, the
Why? My take is because to talk about a planned terrorist strike -- rather than a spontaneous uprising over a ridiculous video -- would have directly undercut the president's politics and his message that al-Qaida was dead.
And getting re-elected was more important to the Obama White House than telling the truth about four dead Americans.
Former CIA official
"The analysts said from the get-go that al-Qaida was involved in this attack," Morell said.
And last week, Judicial Watch obtained key
The new emails were written by
Rhodes emphasized that one goal of Rice's appearances was to "underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure or policy."
And even more cynically, Rhodes offered Rice the argument that she would use, that the video was "disgusting and reprehensible," that "there is absolutely no justification at all for responding to this movie with violence. And we are working to make sure that people around the globe hear that message."
For days afterward, the message from President Obama, Rice, then-Secretary of State
By not releasing the Rhodes emails fully to
But if we allow our nation's leaders to let politics obscure how our government works, we are making a fatal mistake. That's how fools lose the Republic.
And those four in Benghazi weren't fools. They died for our country, and years of political cover-up can't obscure that.
Again, their names were Stevens, Smith, Doherty and Woods.
They didn't die for politics.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments"