Capitalism vs. Capitalists
Five years ago this week, my former boss
"Every ten years I quote the same adage from the late Austrian analyst
Well, Bill is gone now, but his memory lives, and I'm sure he'd forgive me for taking up his request five years early.
Schlamm's point is still relevant, even though the kind of socialism we're dealing with is less doctrinaire. But it also distorts the issue somewhat. One might just as easily say that the problem with socialism is capitalists, too.
If by "capitalist" you mean someone who cares more about his own profit than yours; if you mean someone who cares more about providing for his family than providing for yours; if you mean someone who trusts that he is a better caretaker of his own interests and desires than a bureaucrat he's never met, often in a city he's never been to: then we are all capitalists. Because, by that standard, capitalism isn't some far-off theory about the allocation of capital; it is a commonsense description of what motivates pretty much all human beings everywhere.
And that was one of the reasons why the hard socialism of the
It's why labor unions demanded exemptions and "carve-outs" for their own health care plans from ObamaCare. And why very rich liberals still try their best to minimize their taxes.
The problem with socialism is socialism, because there are no socialists. Socialism is a system based upon an assumption about human nature that simply isn't true. I can design a perfect canine community in which dogs never chase squirrels or groom their nether regions in an indelicate manner. But the moment I take that idea from the drawing board to the real world, I will discover that I cannot get dogs to behave against their nature -- at least not without inflicting a terrible amount of punishment. Likewise, it's easy to design a society that rewards each according to his need instead of his ability. The hard part is getting the crooked timber of humanity to yield to your vision.
And it's also why the problem with capitalism is capitalists. Some people will always abuse the system and take things too far. Some will do it out of the hubris of intellect. Some will do it out of the venality of greed.
I bring all of this up because many in
But few should want the ref to suit up and play the game.
We are fond of saying that the answer to free-speech problems is more free speech. But we seem incapable of grasping that sometimes -- and only sometimes -- the solution to capitalism's problems is more capitalism.
Available at Amazon.com:
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Edge on Financial Reform
- Resisting Wall Street Reform
- Time to Break up the Big Banks
- Obama Criticism of Arizona Immigration Law Ignores Federal Incompetence
- Arizona's Illegal Immigration Catch
- Open Season on Latinos in Arizona
- Arizona Takes Off Its 'Rainbow Shades'
- Arizona's Ugly but Necessary Immigration Law
- What Obama Can Learn From Bush
- Obama's Promise to Work With Foreign Governments
- Hoyer Sees Election Trouble for House Democrats
- Voter Anger Could Doom Democrats in Fall Elections
- Midterm Congressional Elections: Replicating Obama 2008
- Fran Hawthorne Discusses 'The Overloaded Liberal'
- Obama Should Not Appoint Another Appeals Judge to Supreme Court
- Presidents and Wars: Of Laureates and Cowboys
- Come November, 'The Fire Next Time'?
- Slick Willie Is Back and He's After the Tea Party
- Timing of Tea Party's Rise is Telling
- Tea Parties a Delayed Bush Backlash
- The Starving Armenians
- Capitalism vs. Capitalists
- Independent Charlie Crist Will Be Fun to Watch
- Prayer and State
- Obama Aims to Escape Washington Bubble
- Obama America's World Leader
- West Virginia Mining Disaster and Financial Crisis Have Same Root Cause
- Congressional Pig Book: Pigs at the Trough
- Five Reasons Harry Reid Can Win Reelection
- Clarence Thomas for President or Budget Boss
- Replacing Justice Stevens
- Empathy and the Supreme Court
- America Needs a Proud Liberal on the Supreme Court
- Fear Factor: Swine Flu, Nuclear Weapons, Reacting to Doom
- Women Leading and Stirring Tea Party Movement
- Watch What Obama Says Not What He Does on Cap and Trade Off-Shore Drilling
- Media Cheers Obama Ignores Tea Party Movement
- Tea Party and the Press: The Inconvenience of Truth
- Tea Parties Bust and Believe Stereotypes
- Tea Party Protesting the Protestors
- Republicans Doing Banks' Bidding
- To John McCain's Integrity: Rest in Peace
- How Much Taxation Is Enough
- Obama & Democrats Face Brighter Political Future
- Internet Was Buzzing About Healthcare But Obama Buzz Dropped
- United States - 5 Ways to Keep America Great
- Rise of Political Extremism and the Decline of Decency
- Why Democrats Should Try Bipartisanship
- Justice Gives up Bungled Abramoff-Related Lobbying Case
- Obama's Climate Czar Working Toward National Energy Policy
- Obama: Gold Standard of Manners
- Obama's Offshore Oil Decision Has Political Dimension
- Ongoing Melodrama of Victims and Oppressors
- Nuclear Roulette: The Obama Doctrine
- Pivot to Foreign Policy: American-Russian Cooperation
- Republicans Need a Plan B for Health Care
- Obamacare: The Eye of the Storm
- Health Care Bill - Aroused Vox Populi
- Michael Steele: GOP Leadership Dilemma
- Michael Steele fights GOP Culture Gap
- If We Europeanize Europe Is in Trouble
- The Next Injustice - Supreme Court Nominations
- Obama & Democrats Go On Attack
- Clash of the Titans: President Vs. Supreme Court
- Carville to Democrats: Pray Now to Avoid Disaster in November
- Simple measure could be top weapon against global warming
- Jim DeMint, Blanche Lincoln and Perils of Progressive Purity Politics
- Sean Hannity Names Obama's 15 Most Radical Aides
- Case for Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour in 2012 Presidential Race
- The Road to Bipartisan Financial Reform
- Tea Party Will Test GOP's Cat-Herding Skills
- Angry but Engaged Electorate
- Obama on the Rebound
- Obama's Self-Vindication
- GOP Tactical Contradiction
- Obama: The Same Old Drill
- The Hostility Follies
- Definition of Political 'Freakout'
- We Must Respect Families and Small Business
- In GOP a Black Comeback
- Right's Anger Could Backfire
- What Would Newt Gingrich Do
- Newt Gingrich Interview
- Drill, Baby, Drill! Obama Embraces Offshore Drilling
- Standing Up for Life or Something Else
- Al-Qaeda has Lost the Battle. But has it Won the War?
Capitalism vs. Capitalists
(c) 2010 Jonah Goldberg