The Big Lie Coup D'etat
Robert B. Reich
JP Morgan, BP,
Actually, I don't know who's behind the ad because there's no way to know. And that's a big problem.
The ad was paid for by Crossroads GPS, the sister organization to the super PAC American Crossroads run by Republican political operative
In reality Crossroads GPS is a political front group, and the ad is blatantly partisan. The narrator in the ad says Obama is "adding
To make matters worse, it's a bald-faced lie.
Obama isn't adding to the debt every day. Contributing to the debt are policies of
As I said, I don't know who's financing this big lie, but there's good reason to think it's some big corporations and billionaires like the Koch brothers.
According to the reliable inside-
Big corporations and
Looking at the all the anti-Obama super PACs and political fronts like Crossroads GPS, Politico estimates the anti-Obama forces (including the Romney campaign) will outspend Obama and pro-Obama groups (including organized labor) by 2 to 1.
How can it be that big corporations and billionaires will be spending unlimited amounts on big lies like the one in this ad, with no accountability because no one will know where the money is coming from?
Blame a majority of the
You might also blame something deeper, more sinister.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist (you can't have served in
The plan is to inundate America with a few big lies, told over and over: The debt is Obama's fault and it's out of control; corporations and the very rich are the "job creators" that must get tax cuts to generate more jobs; government spending is wasteful unless it's on the military; regulations are strangling the private sector; unionized workers are being paid too much; and so on.
Tell these big lies so often over the next six months that Americans assume they must be true. Then take over the
I doubt the billionaires and corporate executives behind this onslaught of advertising intend to replace our democracy with a plutocracy. They just want to have their way. But the unprecedented sums they're now pouring into politics, much of it secretly, is undermining our system of government as we once knew it.
Read the latest political news.
- Justices Uphold Individual Mandate, Set Limits On Medicaid Expansion
- Court's Dissenters Argue That 'Entire Statute Is Inoperative'
- Health Law Decision A 'Victory For People All Over This Country'
- Justice Roberts Says Law's Offer to States on Medicaid 'Is A Gun to the Head'
- Romney: Health Law Bad Policy, No Matter SCOTUS Decision
- The Tea Party Shtick
- How Wall Street is Trying to Avoid Oversight
- The Robin Hood Tax
- Growing Independence from Both Parties
- Are the Democrats Doomed?
- Mitt Romney: Running for Magician-in-Chief
- Mitt Romney is Dangerously Naive on Foreign Policy
- Is Marco Rubio the Hope of the GOP?
- Progressive Morality
- Running Against a Ghost
- Candidates Must Steer Clear of Political Potholes
- Obama Shows that Political Gaffes are a Game Two Can Play
- Candidates Woo Skeptical, and Possibly Decisive, Latino Bloc
- From Hope and Change to Fear and Smear
- Obama's DREAM Gambit
- The Limits of Compassion in Politics
- All Hail Emperor Obama
- Drone Warfare Foretells an Ever-Expanding and Illegal War
- Sending in the Drones
- Realists Play Video Games
- Women Candidates Need to Fight Back Against Innuendo
- Obama's Truthiness
- Wisconsin Wakeup Call
- Hard Times, Weak Unions
- Wisconsin Vote Dashes Union Hopes, An Entire Movement's Gains
- Wisconsin: Labor's Love Lost
- Liberal Nostalgia for The Good Old Days of Conservatism
- The Big Lie Coup D'etat
- Super PAC Era Links Back to Early James Burnham
- Recalling the Gilded Age
- A Fair Shot
- Low-Wage Nation
- Supreme Doubts
- Obama's 'Fine' Mess
- Making the World Safer for the Next Bernie Madoff
- 'Compromise' is Not a Dirty Word
- Googling Anti-Obama Racism
- Who are You Calling 'Extreme'?
- Is the Worm Turning?
- Searching for a Surrogate
- The Essentiality of Journalism
- Our Press Freedom is Under Fire
- Of Bedrooms and Boardrooms
- Budget Cut Blues: America Needs More Informed Citizenry
- Pentagon Spending Spree
- Why the 'Pro-Growth Centrists' are Wrong
- Social Security's Dual-Income Trap
The Big Lie Coup D'etat | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services