Romney and the Republican Club
Groucho Marx was said to have declared that he wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would have him as a member. One wonders whether
That is so even as he has gone all-in on many of their most cherished positions. He joined the
Still, many in the conservative party base are concerned as the
The betting increasingly is that, as a man of caution, Romney will choose Sen.
But as selection time draws near, many party conservatives have been pressuring Romney to roll the dice and select the
Leading pro-Ryan advocates include the editorial board of the
Tapping Ryan as the running mate would obviously please the conservative base, including members of the tea party movement , which has already indicated a willingness to risk losing for the sake of holding to its politically extreme positions. However, to win the election, the Republican nominees must attract voters beyond that base, among moderates and independents.
Those arguing for Ryan see him as a vehicle for injecting the true conservative agenda into the Romney campaign, which seems to them increasingly bland and stagnant as it drifts through a boring summer, interrupted only by a less than helpful trip abroad by its gafffe-prone candidate.
Shifting public-opinion polling numbers, particularly in the swing states, have caused conservative Republicans to fear that Romney may be headed for defeat by depending too much on anti-Obama sentiment to hand him the
The Democrats, no doubt, would be gleeful to have Ryan on the ticket with Romney. He would make it easier to paint the Republican team as a certain threat to entitlement programs from
Romney choosing Ryan as his running mate would not necessarily seem like the sort of desperate act that
At any rate, in such company Romney himself might be inclined to sharpen his own action plan for recovery, still not clear or persuasive to many voters.
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Romney and the Republican Club | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.