Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
His choice of Ryan assured in one stroke that the rebellious tea party movement would fall in line behind the ticket. And it was persuasive evidence for many other Republicans who had doubted Romney's fealty to the
At the same time, he faces the likely problem that the tail of the dog -- Ryan's plan attacking the safety net for poor and middle-class Americans -- may wag the Romney-Ryan campaign from now until
President Obama's campaign and his freewheeling super PAC allies have already targeted Ryan's scheme to shift
Ryan's assurance that current
Romney's endorsement of the Ryan plan also promising deep debt reduction will make it difficult for him to insist he has his own plan to slay the entitlement and deficit dragons. The last thing he will want to do is point out any differences and detour the campaign debate from focusing on Obama's first-term economic record.
In a sense, the choice of Ryan finally accomplishes what Romney on his own struggled and failed to achieve in his long and debilitating fight for the Republican nomination. Had he been able to win the hearts of fellow Republicans along with their convention votes in the spring, he would have been freer to choose a running mate with greater appeal outside the tea-party-infiltrated
Now Romney and his strategists must concentrate on arousing the drowsy elements in that family to an uncommon turnout in the fall, while also trying to convince independents and discontented conservative Democrats of a brighter economic future under the Republican nominees.
It's rare that a vice-presidential nominee attracts such heavy attention in at least the early phase of the campaign. The first such nominee to do so was Republican presidential nominee
Roosevelt was so disliked and feared by McKinley's campaign manager,
In 1944, a revolt of a handful of Democratic big-city politicians persuaded President
The only fairly recent running mate who might have had a positive impact on an election was
So if the immediate focus on
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.