Another Electoral College Nightmare?
Only a dozen years after the infamous
Various national and state polls, which this year have become epidemic and contradictory, hint that
It's not as if such an result would come out of the blue. Ever since
In 1999, I raised the peril myself in a book, "
This "college" is really just a correspondence school of "electors" who never meet, merely mailing in their votes from their states. The electors customarily are party officials or political hacks who supposedly have free will but almost always follow the popular vote in their state. An occasional "faithless elector" goes off the reservation or votes for a third-party candidate, without affecting the outcome.
Defenders of the
In a 1956 debate with
Gerry's last comment may be even more applicable in today's campaigns run by political consultants flooding the air with negative television ads. However, that does not negate the validity of what the man from
Read the latest political news.
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
- A Romney Presidency Would Erase Decades of Progress
- President Obama Has Earned Our Trust -- and Our Vote
- Conservatives Long for the Sad Days of Yesteryear
- The Key Election Factor -- Hispanic Turnout
- Presidential race will be 'all about turnout'
- Romney: Obama Victory Would Mean More Gridlock
- Obama: 'You Know I Tell the Truth'
- Romney Pledges Bipartisanship in Final Push
- Gaffes and Zingers, Highlights of Mitt Romney's Campaign
- Women Voters: Kingmakers in 2012
- Obama: 'We've Got More Work to Do'
- The Uncool President
- The 2012 Choice
- Busting Myths about Benghazi
- Benghazi -- No Mere 'October surprise'
- The Vanishing Act of Dubya
- Not an Easy Makeover for Florida Representative Allen West
- What Men of the GOP Don't Get About Rape and Abortion
- In GOP View, Life is Sacred ... Except When It's Not
- Romney the Wrong Man to Handle United States Foreign Policy
- Mitt Romney AWOL in Foreign Policy Debate
- How the Election Could Go Wrong for Romney
- Mitt Romney's Question-Mark Economy
- Will Money Talk?
Another Electoral College Nightmare? | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc