"Sex Tape" Movie Review: 1 1/2 Stars
by Michael Phillips
1 1/2 stars
Like "2001: A Space Odyssey," Jake Kasdan's "Sex Tape" is a grim cautionary fable about the evils of technology, in this case pitting its desperate protagonists against an unseen force people refer to as "the cloud."
Unlike "2001," it's also a stupid, strenuous sex farce starring Cameron Diaz, Diaz's dorsal-view body double and Jason Segel as an LA couple (she's a mommy blogger, he's in radio) with two kids, an increasingly groggy romantic life and a provocative solution to their current coital slump: Make a sex tape!
The results, a three-hour epic re-enacting of the entire "Joy of Sex" reference book, wind up sliding onto a batch of iPads that Jay (Segel, uncharacteristically forcing every joke, such as they are) has recently given away for reasons very, very poorly set up by the script.
It's "uh-oh!" time when Annie, played by Diaz, hands her own porn-infected iPad to a rich Brentwood CEO (Rob Lowe, who had his own sex-tape issues once upon a time) interested in buying her blog for a handsome fee.
Rob Corddry and Ellie Kemper are the central couple's married friends, aiding Jay and Annie in their frantic retrieval of the iPads synced up (again, a lot of horsy unconvincing explanation here) with Jay's own iPad, the one we keep hearing about, with all its fantastic high-res clarity. "Sex Tape" is so in the bag for Apple and its products, it's practically a product-placement love story.
Why does this movie flail when recent R-rated commodities such as "Neighbors" (directed by Nicholas Stoller, one of the writers on "Sex Tape" along with Segel and Kate Angelo) have found a way to deal with the challenges of marriage and parenthood and temptation in a clever way? Partly it's because "Sex Tape" settles for violence when violent slapstick, a lot harder to finesse, was the implicit goal of the picture.
The centerpiece sequence has Annie doing cocaine with the weaselly Lowe character, while Jay battles the CEO's murderous guard dog elsewhere in the mansion. Director Kasdan, a middling talent at best with this sort of material, chops the action into clunky, bug-eyed close-ups or flatly staged medium shots. Early on there's a long bit where Jay, nervous about the prospect of having sex with his wife after a little too much time has elapsed, has trouble untying Annie's double-knotted roller skates. You wait for the scene to get going or pay off or something. Instead, it's just awkward. The whole movie's like that.
If "Sex Tape" ends up making money, it'll be strictly on the backs of its valiant performers, who surely sensed the weakness of the script and decided to go at it like a job, like turning an acting trick, finesse and pacing be damned. Six years ago Kevin Smith's "Zack and Miri Make a Porno" was funnier, sharper, and more interesting in its central relationship. But that was in the pre-cloud days, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, before movies like "Sex Tape" took for granted (or pushed the idea) that everybody's into porn these days, all the time, like breathing. Everybody. All the time. Segel and Diaz have their comic charm, but it's stretched thin here to the breaking point.
MPAA rating: R (for strong sexual content, nudity, language and some drug use)
Running time: 1:34.
"Sex Tape" Movie Trailer
When Jay and Annie first got together, their romantic connection was intense -- and though they're still very much in love, ten years and two kids have cooled the passion. To kick things up a notch, they decide -- why not? -- to make a video of themselves trying out every position in The Joy of Sex in one marathon three-hour session. It seems like a great idea - until they discover that their most private video is no longer private. With their reputations on the line, they know they're just one click away from being laid bare to the world ... but in their race to reclaim their video, they'll find that it will expose even more than they bargained for.
- 'Boyhood' Movie Review
- 'Sex Tape' Movie Review
- 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Movie Review
- 'Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago' Movie Review
- 'Tammy' Movie Review
- 'Deliver Us From Evil' Movie Review
- 'Earth to Echo' Movie Review
- 'Begin Again' Movie Review
- 'Life Itself' Movie Review
- 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Movie Review
- 'They Came Together' Movie Review
- 'Third Person' Movie Review
- 'Ivory Tower' Movie Review
- 'Jersey Boys' Movie Review
- 'The Rover' Movie Review
- 'Think Like a Man Too' Movie Review
- 'A Coffee in Berlin' Movie Review
- 'Brave Miss World' Movie Review
- '22 Jump Street' Movie Review
- 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' Movie Review
- 'Edge of Tomorrow' Movie Review
- 'The Fault in Our Stars' Movie Review
- 'Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas' Movie Review
- 'Maleficent' Movie Review
- 'Cold in July' Movie Review
- 'A Million Ways To Die in The West' Movie Review
- 'Chinese Puzzle' Movie Review
- Jayson Blair and All The Lies Not Fit to Print
- 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Movie Review
- 'Blended' Movie Review
- 'The Immigrant' Movie Review
- 'Ida' Movie Review
- 'The Cold Lands' Movie Review
- 'Godzilla' Movie Review
- 'Palo Alto' Movie Review
- 'Million Dollar Arm' Movie Review
- 'Chef' Movie Review
- 'God's Pocket' Movie Review
- 'For No Good Reason' Movie Review
- 'Neighbors' Movie Review
- Top 10 Superhero Alter Egos
- Top 10 Kevin Bacon Performances
- Can You Believe These 10 Movies Turn 20 This Year?
- Richard Roeper Reviews 'Boyhood'
- Top 10 Years in Film History
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' First Look and Avengers Tower Details
- Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman in 'Lucy' Feature Clip
- Top 10 Harry Potter Characters
- Top 10 Greatest Female Movie Villains of All Time
- 12 Most Patriotic Movie Moments
- 7 Most Illogical Movie Endings
- Top 10 Fictional Movie Towns
- Top 10 Vietnam War Movies
- Remembering 'Forrest Gump' 20 Years Later
- Top 10 Movie Robots of All Time
- Top 10 Pixar Villains
- Top 10 Stan Lee Movie Cameos
- Top 10 Damsels in Distress in Movies
- Top 10 Cult Classics: Horror Movies
- Top 10 Alfred Hitchcock Movies
- Top 10 Major Plot Holes in Movies
- Top 10 Dramatic Movie Deaths
- Top 10 Movie Production Nightmares
- Top 10 Old Wise Men in Movies
- Top 10 School Dances in Movies
- Top 10 Movie Shower Scenes
- The Movies You'll Definitely Want To See This Summer
- Top 10 Memorable Movie Insults
- Top 10 Funniest Movie Insults
- Top 10 Obscene Movie Insults (Explicit)
- Top 10 Hated Movie Actors
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
'Sex Tape' Movie Review & Movie Trailer