U.S. Women Blank Canada in CONCACAF final
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Abby Wambach scored twice and Alex Morgan added two goals and two assists to lead the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team to a 4-0 victory over Canada in the championship game of the 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
Both the U.S. and Canada earned berths to the 2012 London Olympics with semifinal wins on Friday.
Wambach moved to No. 2 on the U.S. and world all-time goal scoring list with her 130th and 131st career goals. She passed former U.S. teammate Kristine Lilly, who retired at the beginning of 2011 with 130 career goals. Wambach now trails only Mia Hamm (158).
Morgan was making her first start of the tournament and was paired up with Wambach in a 4-4-2 formation. It marked the first time that Morgan and Wambach started a match together and Morgan contributed to each of the four U.S. goals.
"I think we came out really strong and the early goal took the wind out of their sails a bit," said Wambach. "It quieted the crowd down a considerable amount, and then of course the second goal is just the backbreaker for them. It's hard to score one goal against the U.S., let alone two to equalize and three to go ahead."
Morgan opened the scoring in the fourth minute and Wambach added two tallies before the half-hour mark as the U.S. opened up a 3-0 lead at the half. Morgan then capped the scoring with a goal in the 56th minute.
"I really like playing with Abby up top," Morgan said. "We feel really comfortable and can anticipate each others runs, so that always helps."
The victory gave the USA its third straight CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament title, improved its all-time record against Canada to 43-3-5.
- Fans of Rival Soccer Teams Clash in Egypt, 73 Killed
- Obertan Scores in Stoppage Time, Newcastle downs Blackburn
- Hernandez, Berbatov's Goals Steer Man United Past Stoke City
- U.S. Women Blank Canada in CONCACAF final
- Van Persie Goals Rally Arsenal past Aston Villa
- Liverpool Takes out Manchester United in FA Cup Thriller
- Copa del Rey: Barca Eliminates Real Madrid
- Rare Trick: Dempsey-led Fulham Rips Newcastle
- Pele: 'Messi Doesn't Match Up to Me in Soccer'
- Manchester United knocks Manchester City Out of FA Cup
- Dempsey Hat Trick Leads Fulham to Victory in FA Cup
- Beckham Loves L.A.: Soccer Star to Remain with Galaxy
- Arsenal Stumbles Late Against Fulham Putting Chelsea Back in Top Four
- Sunderland Stuns Manchester City to Cap Wild Weekend
- Manchester United Stunned by Blackburn
- David Beckham Considering Return to L.A. Galaxy
- Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger Pleased About Thierry Henry's Return
- Embattled Luis Suarez Starts for Liverpool Pending Appeal of 8-Game Ban
- Gareth Bale Nets Pair as Tottenham Blanks Norwich City
- Italian Soccer Probe into Match Fixing Leads to 17 Arrests
- Manchester City Maintains Premier League Lead with Win Over Arsenal
- Barca Super-Scorer David Villa Out Six Months
- Poland, Ukraine Get Top Draws at 2012 Euro
- Heading Soccer Ball Linked with Brain Injuries
- Greek Soccer Turns Ugly
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved