Manchester City Tops Newcastle in Premier League
Yaya Toure scored Manchester City's third goal to seal the win against Newcastle, 3-1.
The reigning champions enjoyed a 2-0 lead before the break with goals from Sergio Aguero and Javi Garcia.
To their credit, Newcastle was determined not to capitulate.
They got their reward with 51 minutes gone when, after Vurnon Anita's corner had been half-cleared, Fabricio Coloccini hooked the ball back into the penalty area where Ba beat the offside trap to head firmly past Joe Hart.
It was Ba's 11th goal of the season.
Twelve minutes later, Pablo Zabaleta got in down the left and crossed for Toure to make it 3-1.
Deprived of the threat of Frenchman Hatem Ben Arfa, Newcastle boss Alan Pardew beefed up his midfield with the more defensively-minded James Perch.
But the pace and movement of Samir Nasri, David Silva, Carlos Tevez and Aguero, coupled with the vision of the imperious Toure, was simply too much for Newcastle to handle. Had it not been for the efforts of goalkeeper Tim Krul and some less than effective finishing, the game could have been out of their reach long before half-time.
- Swansea Draws United; Chelsea Batters Villa
- Stoppage Time Goal Powers Manchester City Over Reading
- Chelsea Dominates Leeds United in FL Cup Quarterfinals
- Lionel Messi Extends Barcelona Deal Until 2018
- Cazorla Hat Trick Powers Arsenal Past Reading
- Manchester City Tops Newcastle in Premier League
- Premier League, Top Soccer Clubs Acting Soft Over Racial Issues
- Van Persie's Clutch Goal Lifts United over City in Manchester Derby
- Messi Sets Record for Most Goals Scored in Calendar Year
- Injured Terry to Miss Chelsea's Club World Cup Campaign
- Messi Injury Not as Serious as Feared
- Galaxy Silence Dynamo to Win Second Straight MLS Cup
- Lorrie Fair Gives Pointers to Afghan Women Soccer Team
- Wayne Rooney's Brace Powers Manchester United Past Reading
- Messi, Iniesta, Ronaldo Up for Top FIFA Honor
- Man City, United Score Big Wins to Take Clear EPL Leadership
- Benteke Late Goal Pushes Aston Villa Past Reading
- Manchester United Scores Three Goals in Nine Minutes, Downs QPR
- QPR Fires Mark Hughes, Hires Harry Redknapp as New Skipper
- Former Player Elliott Backs Chelsea Sacking of Di Matteo
- Real Madrid Boots Manchester City Out of Champions League
- Rap Star Snoop Lion Plans to Invest in Glasgow Celtic
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved