Wigan Blasts Aston Villa 3-0
Aston Villa had another abject performance in a 3-0 defeat to Wigan Saturday in a Premier League match.
It marked the first win in seven matches for Wigan, which moved out of the bottom three.
Villa never recovered from a disastrous start when Wigan's Ivan Ramis scored just three minutes in.
Two goals in the space of four minutes early in the second half from Emmerson Boyce and Arouna Kone sealed Villa's fate as their confidence visibly evaporated.
Aston Villa was without Darren Bent, Richard Dunne, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Charles N'Zogbia and Nathan Baker.
Villa's inability to defend set-pieces was blatantly exposed in the third minute with the early goal.
Jean Beausejour's accurate corner was perfectly placed for Ramis' header past Brad Guzan.
It was the 13th goal conceded by Guzan and Villa in three games and once again gave the West Midlands club a steep hill to climb.
Manchester United blanks West Bromwich Albion
Robin van Persie's last minute goal secured a win by Manchester United over West Bromwich Albion Saturday in Premier League action.
It was the Dutchman's 17th goal of the season.
Gareth Mcualey's own goal at the ninth minute placed West Brom behind early.
Restored to the United lineup for the only the second time since his most recent knee operation, Serbian Vidic used his experience to ensure the hosts were not made to pay for poor second half play.
Van Persie's late shot expertly curled expertly into the top corner from Paul Scholes' pass to make it 2-0 for United.
- Van Persie, Vidic Goals Lead Manchester United Past Liverpool
- Real Madrid Settles for Scoreless Draw with Osasuna
- Michu, Graham Score as Swansea Tops Chelsea in Capital One Cup
- Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Title for Fourth Straight Time
- Liverpool Holds Off Mansfield Town to Advance in FA Cup
- Van Persie Late Goal Lifts Man United into Tie with West Ham
- Mets Interested in Hosting MLS Squad at Citi Field
- Suarez Nets Pair as Liverpool Blanks Sunderland
- Manchester United Begins 2013 on Winning Note, Blanks Wigan 4-0
- Lampard Lifts Chelsea Over Everton
- Wigan Blasts Aston Villa 3-0
- Swansea Draws United; Chelsea Batters Villa
- Stoppage Time Goal Powers Manchester City Over Reading
- Chelsea Dominates Leeds United in FL Cup Quarterfinals
- Lionel Messi Extends Barcelona Deal Until 2018
- Cazorla Hat Trick Powers Arsenal Past Reading
- Manchester City Tops Newcastle in Premier League
- Premier League, Top Soccer Clubs Acting Soft Over Racial Issues
- Van Persie's Clutch Goal Lifts United over City in Manchester Derby
- Messi Sets Record for Most Goals Scored in Calendar Year
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved