Liverpool Holds Off Mansfield Town to Advance in FA Cup
Liverpool continued to gain dividends from bringing Daniel Sturridge in the fold as the 23-year-old forward scored in the 7th minute and Luis Suarez added one more in the 59th minute to lift the Reds over Mansfield Town 2-1 in Sunday's FA Cup match at One Call Stadium.
Liverpool booked its ticket to the next round of FA Cup, leaning on a potent attacking tandem of Sturridge and Suarez.
Sturridge scored his second goal since joining the Reds last week in the opening minutes while Suarez doubled Liverpool's lead with a beautiful goal in the second half.
Matthew Green tried to keep Mansfield Town within striking distance after scoring a tally in the 79th minute but the Reds defense held its ground and fended off all attacks.
With the win, Liverpool arranged a fourth-round duel with Oldham Athletic in the FA Cup tournament. Oldham Athletic secured a place in this stage of the competition after recording a 3-2 win over Nottingham Forrest at City Ground.
Meanwhile, Arsenal and Swansea City played to a 2-2 draw in their third-round FA Cup match Saturday. After a fruitless first 45 minutes, Swansea opened up the action-packed second half with a goal from Michu in the 58th minute.
Arsenal fought back with Lukas Podolski and Kieran Gibbs scoring in the 81st and 83rd minute respectively but Danny Graham came through with an equalizer in the 87th minute.
With the outcome, Arsenal and Swansea City will face again in a replay for a chance to move on in the FA Cup tourney.
- Van Persie, Vidic Goals Lead Manchester United Past Liverpool
- Real Madrid Settles for Scoreless Draw with Osasuna
- Michu, Graham Score as Swansea Tops Chelsea in Capital One Cup
- Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Title for Fourth Straight Time
- Liverpool Holds Off Mansfield Town to Advance in FA Cup
- Van Persie Late Goal Lifts Man United into Tie with West Ham
- Mets Interested in Hosting MLS Squad at Citi Field
- Suarez Nets Pair as Liverpool Blanks Sunderland
- Manchester United Begins 2013 on Winning Note, Blanks Wigan 4-0
- Lampard Lifts Chelsea Over Everton
- Wigan Blasts Aston Villa 3-0
- Swansea Draws United; Chelsea Batters Villa
- Stoppage Time Goal Powers Manchester City Over Reading
- Chelsea Dominates Leeds United in FL Cup Quarterfinals
- Lionel Messi Extends Barcelona Deal Until 2018
- Cazorla Hat Trick Powers Arsenal Past Reading
- Manchester City Tops Newcastle in Premier League
- Premier League, Top Soccer Clubs Acting Soft Over Racial Issues
- Van Persie's Clutch Goal Lifts United over City in Manchester Derby
- Messi Sets Record for Most Goals Scored in Calendar Year
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved