Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
The Chicago Bears are expanding their head coaching search to the Canadian Football League (CFL) as they reportedly plan to interview Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman.
The NFL Network first reported that the Bears are looking into Trestman as a potential successor to the recently fired Lovie Smith.
Trestman recently signed a contract extension with the Alouettes until 2016 but according to a source, the team would be more than willing to give him up in case the Bears acquire his services.
In five seasons with the Alouettes, Trestman has led the club to three appearances in the Grey Cup, including consecutive championships in 2009 and 2010 and has been named the league's coach of the year (2009). This season, he led the Alouettes to an 11-7 mark.
Trestman has a rich NFL experience, working on staffs tutoring quarterbacks such as Steve Young (worked for 49ers from 1995-96), Rich Gannon (Raiders from 2001-03), who was named the league's MVP in 2001, and Bernie Kosar (1989).
Aside from working with the New Orleans Saints as a consultant in 2007, Trestman also had stints with Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Detroit Lions, Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins as well as the University of Miami (1981-84), where he received his law degree.
Trestman spent 2005 and 2006 at North Carolina State, before leaving in 2008 for the CFL.
In addition, Trestman works during the offseason to prepare college quarterbacks for the NFL draft. He earlier worked with Jay Cutler and Bears backups Jason Campbell before their respective drafts.
According to his official website, Trestman has also worked with Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden, Denver rookie Brock Osweiler as well as Tim Tebow of the New York Jets and Carolina's Jimmy Clausen.
Bears general manager Phil Emery has met with Dallas Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis and will meet Sunday in Denver with Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.
The club has already interviewed Atlanta Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong, Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan and New Orleans offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr.
The Bears also requested permission to interview Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Tom Clements, as well as Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.
- Tom Brady Says Patriots Can Adjust Minus Injured Tight End Rob Gronkowski
- Ravens Linebacker Ayanbadejo Sparks 'Word War' with Patriots
- Tom Brady and Shane Vereen Lead Patriots Back to AFC Title Game
- Matt Bryant Field Goal Lifts Falcons Over Seahawks into NFC Title Game
- Colin Kaepernick Leads 49ers Past Packers into NFC Title Game
- 'Flacco Fling' Helps Ravens Stun Broncos
- Nate Silver Picks Seahawks vs Patriots for Super Bowl XLVII
- Ex-Jets Assistant Mike Westhoff Says Tim Tebow Situation a 'Mess'
- Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ex-Panthers Assistant Rob Chudzinski Gets Browns Coaching Job
- Seahawks Rookie Defensive End Bruce Irvin Gets Start vs Falcons
- Mike Mularkey Out as Jaguars Coach
- Cowboys Hire Defensive Coordinator
- Eagles Interested in Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly
- Mike Pettine Hired as Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- Chargers Name Tom Telesco New General Manager
- Ex-Falcons Personnel Director David Caldwell Named Jaguars GM
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Packers at 49ers
- NFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Seahawks at Falcons
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Ravens at Broncos
- AFC Divisional Playoffs Preview: Texans at Patriots
- Cowboys Dismiss Rob Ryan as Defensive Coordinator
- Tony Sparano Out as New York Jets Offensive Coordinator
- Robert Griffin III Suffered Partial Tear of Two Ligaments in Right Knee
- Seahawks Blast Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Boldin and Flacco Carry Ravens Past Colts in AFC Wild-Card Game
- Bills Select Syracuse's Doug Marrone as New Head Coach
- Chip Kelly to Stay with Oregon
- Aaron Rodgers Powers Packers Past Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
- Arian Foster Lifts Texans to AFC Wild-Card Win Over Bengals
- Post Lovie Smith, Bears Eye CFL's Marc Trestman as Head Coach
- Panthers Retain Ron Rivera as Head Coach
- Chiefs Reach Agreement with Andy Reid as Next Head Coach
- LSU Safety Eric Reid To Forego Senior Year, Enter NFL Draft
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
- NFL 'Super Season' Kicks Off
- Best NFL Playoff Performances
- What to Look For: Wild Card Weekend
- Chiefs Expected to Hire Andy Reid as Head Coach
- Kansas City Chiefs Hold First Pick in 2013 NFL Draft
- NFL 2012 Regular Season in Review
- 2012 NFL Records and Milestones
- Ravens Linebacker Ray Lewis to Retire After 17 Years
- 49ers Seek Alternative to Kicker Akers, Waive Jacobs
- Titans Stick with Coach Mike Munchak, Fire GM Mike Reinfeldt
- Chargers Dismiss Head Coach Norv Turner, GM AJ Smith
- Cardinals Fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Rod Graves
- Bears Fire Coach Lovie Smith
- Eagles Fire Longtime Coach Andy Reid
- Jets Fire GM Mike Tannenbaum
- Rookies Carry Redskins Over Cowboys to NFC East Title
- Josh Freeman Guides Buccaneers to Upset Win Over Falcons
- Titans Set NFL Record for Touchdown Returns in Win Over Jaguars
- Jets to Dismiss Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano
- Browns to Fire Shurmur, Heckert after Steelers Showdown
- Sean Payton Agrees to Five-Year Deal with Saints
- Jets Coach Rex Ryan Denies Report He Would Welcome Firing
Copyright © 2013 iHaveNet.com