NFL 2012 Kickoff Weekend Streaks
NFL 2012 Football
It's time to get "Back to Football."
Kickoff Weekend begins on Wednesday, September 5 in primetime on NBC when the defending-champion New York Giants welcome the Dallas Cowboys in an NFC East matchup at MetLife Stadium. It's when things start to count.
Some clubs have excelled in openers. Here is a sampling of notable active NFL Kickoff streaks:
The Super Bowl XLVI champion NEW YORK GIANTS, who host Dallas in the spotlight Kickoff 2012 game on Wednesday night, have 49 wins in openers, the third-most in NFL history, and 49 victories in home openers, tied with Detroit and Green Bay for the second-most in league annals.
The Giants, who travel to Carolina in Week 3, have 48 wins in road openers, the second-most in NFL history, and New York's 48-34-5 (.585) mark in road openers is the third-best in the league.
The DALLAS COWBOYS own a 34-17-1 (.663) record on Kickoff Weekend, the top mark in the NFL, including wins in a record 17 consecutive openers from 1965-81. The Cowboys, who open the season at the New York Giants in the first game of the 2012 season, have the league's best record in road openers at 32-20 (.615).
The GREEN BAY PACKERS, who host San Francisco in Week 1, have 52 wins on Kickoff Weekend, tied with Chicago for the most in league history. Green Bay has won its first regular-season game in each of the past five seasons, the second-longest active streak in the league. The Packers have 49 wins in home openers, tied with Detroit and the New York Giants for the second-most in NFL annals.
Green Bay's five consecutive wins in home openers tie Washington for the longest such active streak in the NFC. Green Bay travels to Seattle in Week 3 and has 53 wins in road openers, the most in league history. The Packers are 53-36-2 (.596) in road openers, the second-best mark in the NFL, and have won six consecutive road openers, the longest active streak in the league.
The CHICAGO BEARS, who host Indianapolis on Kickoff Weekend, have 63 wins in home openers, the most in NFL history. The Bears boast a .716 winning percentage (63-25-4) in home openers, the top mark among NFC teams. Chicago has 52 wins on Kickoff Weekend, tied with Green Bay for the most in league history. The Bears, who visit Green Bay in Week 2, have 43 wins in road openers, the third-most in NFL annals.
The PITTSBURGH STEELERS, who travel to Denver on Sunday Night Football to kick off the season, have won 40 openers, the most among AFC teams. The Steelers have won eight of their past nine openers. Pittsburgh, which hosts the New York Jets in Week 2, has won nine consecutive home openers, the second longest active streak in the league.
The DENVER BRONCOS, who host Pittsburgh on Sunday Night Football to begin the season, own a .625 winning percentage (32-19-1) on Kickoff Weekend, the third-best mark in the NFL. Denver is 38-13-1 (.745) all-time in home openers, the best such winning percentage in the NFL.
The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS have won 15 of their past 17 home openers and boast a perfect 10-0 record at Gillette Stadium, the longest active winning streak in home openers.
The Patriots host Arizona in Week 2 and aim for their 11th consecutive win in a home opener. New England opens the season at Tennessee and the Patriots have won eight consecutive games on Kickoff Weekend, the longest active streak.
The JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, who begin the season at Minnesota, are 11-6 (.647) on Kickoff Weekend, the second-best mark in the NFL.
The BALTIMORE RAVENS, who host Cincinnati on Monday Night Football to start the year, have won six consecutive home openers, the third-longest active streak in the NFL. Baltimore has won four consecutive games on Kickoff Weekend, the third-longest active streak in the league.
The INDIANAPOLIS COLTS, who open the 2012 campaign at Chicago, have 34 victories on Kickoff Weekend, the second most in the AFC.
The OAKLAND RAIDERS, who host San Diego on Monday Night Football on Kickoff Weekend, boast a .702 winning percentage (36-15-1) in home openers, which ranks third in the NFL.
The ARIZONA CARDINALS host Seattle on Kickoff Weekend, just the fifth time in the past 25 years the club has started the year at home. The Cardinals open the season at home in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1986-87.
The NEW YORK JETS open the season at home against Buffalo, marking just the 15th time in the past 53 openers the Jets have started the year at home.
HOME SWEET HOME:
The DETROIT LIONS, who host St. Louis on Kickoff Weekend, have 49 wins in home openers, tied for the second-most in NFL history with Green Bay and the New York Giants … the KANSAS CITY CHIEFS, who open the season at home against Atlanta, have won 15 of their past 23 home openers … the SAN DIEGO CHARGERS, who host Tennessee in Week 2, have won 12 of their past 19 openers at home … the SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS, who host Detroit in Week 2, have won 14 of their past 19 home openers … and the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS, who host Dallas in Week 2, have won eight of their past nine home openers.
Washington's MIKE SHANAHAN is 14-4 (.778) on Kickoff Weekend and his 14 wins are the most among active head coaches … in addition to Shanahan, three coaches -- BILL BELICHICK (11-6; .647) of New England, TOM COUGHLIN (10-6; .625) of the New York Giants and JEFF FISHER (10-6; .625) of St. Louis -- have won at least 10 Kickoff Weekend games and own an opening weekend winning percentage above .600 … brothers JOHN HARBAUGH (4-0) of the Ravens and JIM HARBAUGH (1-0) of the 49ers are the only active coaches with perfect records on Kickoff Weekend … and with five consecutive victories on Kickoff Weekend, Green Bay's MIKE MC CARTHY owns a .833 winning percentage in openers (5-1) to rank first among active head coaches (minimum five games).
- Forbes Magazine Values Dallas Cowboys at $2.1B
- NFL 2012 Week 1: Giants vs Cowboys Preview
- Dolphins Release Veteran QB David Garrard
- NFL 2012 Week 1 Preview - Back to Football!
- NFL 2012 Quarterback Update
- AFC QBs Take to Primetime on Kickoff Weekend
- NFC East Rivals Meet in Wednesday Night Kickoff
- Bears Urlacher to Return Against Colts
- NFC East Preview
- NFC West Preview
- NFC South Preview
- NFC North Preview
- Dolphins Acquire Wideout Anthony Armstrong Off Waivers
- Running Back Jones-Drew Ends Holdout, Reports to Jaguars
- Patriots Acquire Receiver Greg Salas from Rams
- Replacements Ready: Talks Between NFL and Refs Collapse
- Super Bowl Champions Giants Not Among Those Favored to Win
- AFC East Preview
- AFC South Preview
- AFC West Preview
- AFC North Preview
- Jaguars Not Trading Running Back Jones-Drew
- Giants Linebacker Kiwanuka Gets Back at Cowboys Owner Jones
- NFL Players Union: Replacement Refs Jeopardize Safety
- Patriots Tight End Aaron Hernandez Agrees to Five-Year Extension
- Time's Up for T.O. - Seahawks Cut Veteran Wideout
- Big Ben Chimes In: Roethlisberger Blames FieldTurf for DeCastro's injury
- Giants and Cowboys Kick Off NFL 2012 Season
- Giants Rising
- The Empire State Strikes Back
- Patriots Look to Continue Winning Tradition
- NFL 2012 Kickoff Weekend Streaks
- NFL 2012 Strength of Schedule
- What To Look for in 2012
- Quarterback Success
- Pack Man: MVP Aaron Rodgers Leads Packers
- Eli Manning: Elite Quarterback
- Tom Brady: Tom Terrific
- Peyton Manning: Pey Day
- Cool Brees: Saints QB Drew Brees
- Young Quarterbacks on The Rise
- Running Backs: Good Things Come in Pairs
- Double Trouble Running Backs!
- Top Superlative? Run the Ball!
- Steven Jackson: Action Jackson
- Darren Sproles: Mister Versatility
- Devin Hester: Thank Devin
- NFL Tight Ends On The Rise
- Charles Woodson: Charles In Charge
- Rookies Excelled in 2011
- NFL Receivers Making a Splash
- Many Happy Kickoff Returns
- Big Play Excitement
- Clutch Performering Quarterbacks
- On Target Receivers
- Yards After The Catch
- Receivers Moving The Chains
- NFL Rules: A Constant Evolution
- New NFL Rules for 2012
- Modified Sudden Death Overtime
- NFL 2012 Headline Games
- NFL Player Offseason Moves: Same Faces, New Places
- New Orleans Hosts Its 10th Super Bowl
- Total Miles to Travel in 2012
- The NFL on TV in 2012
- NFL On The Go and Online in 2012
- NFL Anniversaries
- The 1932 NFL Indoor Championship
- 1967 NFL Championship: The 'Ice Bowl'
- The 'Immaculate Reception'
- 1972 Dolphins: The Perfect Season
- Pro Football is America's Favorite Sport By Far
- Top-Selling NFL Player Jerseys
- NFL Ratchets Up The Excitement
- The NFL is So Unpredictable
- From Worst to First in the NFL
- NFL Division Titles Up for Grabs
- Exciting Comebacks Highlighted NFL 2011 Season
- NFL Overtime Excitement
- Sustained Success
- Best NFL Records: Past 10 Years
- Football's Popularity in High School Keeps Growings
- Andrew Luck Throws 2 TD Passes in Pre-Season Debut
- Brian Urlacher: I'll Be Ready For Season Opener vs Colts
- Cowboys Not Interested in Plaxico Burress
- Justin Tuck Sacks Clay Matthews Comments
- Still Fighting: Jousting Jets Draw Coach Rex Ryan's Ire
- Tom Brady Leading Patriots by Example
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet