Advance to Super Bowl with Win Over Ravens
NFL Playoffs: AFC Championship
Ravens kicker Billy Cundiff missed a 32-yard field goal in the final seconds and the New England Patriots overcame a mistake-filled performance by Tom Brady in a 23-20 victory over the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Championship Game.
Tom Brady was intercepted twice and did not throw a touchdown pass but he did dive over the goal line on a quarterback sneak with 11:29 to play for the winning touchdown.
With the win Brady and the Patriots advanced to their fifth Super Bowl in 11 seasons and will play either the New York Giants or San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5 in Indianapolis.
The Ravens had their chances and drove deep into Patriots territory on their final drive. Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco appeared to hit wide receiver Lee Evans for a go-ahead touchdown but Evans was stripped of the ball in the end zone by backup cornerback Sterling Moore before getting his second foot down.
After another Flacco incompletion, Cundiff came on with a chance to send the game into overtime but he hooked a 32-yard field goal wide left. Cundiff had been 16 of 16 in the fourth quarter the past two seasons.
BenJarvus Green-Ellis rushed for 68 yards and a touchdown and Brady threw for 239 yards and was picked off twice by the Ravens, who outgained the Patriots 398 yards to 330.
Flacco finished 22 of 36 for 306 yards with a two touchdowns and one interception and Ray Rice was limited to 67 yards on 21 carries.
Patriots Edge Ravens in AFC Title Game
- Tynes Time: 31 Yard Field Goal Lifts Giants Over Niners in OT
- Patriots Survive: Advance to Super Bowl with Win Over Ravens
- Joe Paterno Dead at 85
- Fantastic Four Ready for AFC and NFC Championships
- Eli Manning Brilliant: Giants Oust Top-Seeded Packers
- Flacco Lifts Ravens Past Mistake-Prone Texans
- Alex Smith Launches Game-Winning Strike, 49ers Edge Saints
- Jets Legend Joe Namath Stumped On Sparano Hiring
- Final Eight Take Center Stage In Divisional Playoffs
- Wild Card Weekend: A Look Back
- Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in Overtime
- Giants Too Much for Falcons, Move On to Face Packers
- Foster's Two TDs Power Texans Past Bengals
- Drew Brees, Saints Tame Lions
- Raiders Dismiss Head Coach Hue Jackson
- LaDainian Tomlinson 'Contemplating' Retirement
- Robert Griffin III Headed to NFL
- Colts Set Sights on Andrew Luck as No. 1 in NFL Draft
- Star Running Back LaMichael James Leaving Oregon for NFL
- Oklahoma's Landry Jones, Wisconsin's Ball Return For Senior Campaigns
- Browns Seek Playmaker at Number 4
- Cleveland Browns Need Plenty of Help in Rugged AFC North
- Chiefs Plan to Keep Romeo Crennel as Head Coach
- Parcells Heads Up Potential NFL Hall of Fame List
- Playoff Records, Facts, Figures and Milestones
- Regular Season Records and Milestones
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: What to Look For
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
- NFL Football Firings
- Chicago Bears Dismiss GM After Poor Finish
Copyright 2012, iHaveNet.com