49ers Ponder Future of Alex Smith and Randy Moss
San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke is discussing with Alex Smith the quarterback's future with the team.
Baalke had dinner with Smith and the signal-caller's wife, Liz, to get an understanding of what direction they wanted to go with the emergence of Colin Kaepernick as the team's No. 1 quarterback.
"Are we going to trade him for sure? No, that hasn't been decided," said Baalke.
49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said that it is "unlikely," that the team would choose to release Smith should a suitable trading partner not be found.
With Kaepernick playing so well after he took over as starter from Smith last Nov. 11, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh never put Smith back into the starting lineup, even though Smith was among the league's leading passers at the time. Kaepernick was stellar in leading the team to the Super Bowl, however.
Smith, who is heading into his ninth season, is due $8.5 million in 2013, including $6.5 million guaranteed if he remains on the San Francisco's roster after April 1.
He could be viewed as a viable trade option for quarterback-starved teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, Arizona Cardinals, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills and New York Jets.
However, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh "definitely" wants Randy Moss to return for another season in San Francisco. But Baalke said no decision has been made about the 36-year-old wide receiver.
"Is he going to return this year? I don't know that yet," said Baalke.
While lauded by teammates and coaches for his leadership, Moss had only 28 catches for 434 yards and three touchdowns. His status probably will be affected by the return of wide receiver Mario Manningham from a knee injury and the maturation of A.J. Jenkins.
- Goodell Assures NFL doing all it can to reduce, prevent head injuries
- Patriots Wide Receiver Wes Welker to Test Free-Agent Market
- Vince Young apologizes to ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher in letter
- Linebacker Von Miller: Broncos to win Super Bowl next season
- Cowboys Franchise Linebacker Anthony Spencer Again
- LeSean McCoy pushing for Michael Vick to start for Eagles
- Joe Flacco Signs Biggest Deal in NFL History
- Falcons Release Three Players to Create Salary Cap Room
- Ravens Terrell Suggs: 31 Other Teams Hate Patriots
- Titans Chris Johnson Says He'll Eclipse AP, Dickerson Marks
- Southern Cal Coach Lane Kiffin Makes Pitch for Matt Barkley
- NFL to Look into Prospect's Claim on Sexual Orientation Query
- Raiders Eyeing Mike Holmgren for Front Office Post
- Giants Re-sign Will Beatty to Five-Year Deal
- 49ers Trade QB Alex Smith to Chiefs for Two Picks
- Tom Brady's Discounted Deal Allows Patriots to Rebuild Around QB
- Heart Condition May Jeopardize Star Lotulelei's NFL Dream
- Baltimore Ravens Offseason Needs
- Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Needs
- Cleveland Browns Offseason Needs
- Pittsburgh Steelers Offseason Needs
- Houston Texans Offseason Needs
- Indianapolis Colts Offseason Needs
- Jacksonville Jaguars Offseason Needs
- Tennessee Titans Offseason Needs
- Denver Broncos Offseason Needs
- Kansas City Chiefs Offseason Needs
- Oakland Raiders Offseason Needs
- San Diego Chargers Offseason Needs
- Dallas Cowboys Offseason Needs
- Philadelphia Eagles Offseason Needs
- Washington Redskins Offseason Needs
- Chicago Bears Offseason Needs
- Detroit Lions Offseason Needs
- Green Bay Packers Offseason Needs
- Minnesota Vikings Offseason Needs
- Atlanta Falcons Offseason Needs
- Carolina Panthers Offseason Needs
- New Orleans Saints Offseason Needs
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Offseason Needs
- Saint Louis Rams Offseason Needs
- San Francisco 49ers Offseason Needs
- Seattle Seahawks Offseason Needs
- 49ers Ponder Future of Alex Smith and Randy Moss
- Ravens Center Matt Birk Retires After 15 Seasons
- Jets' Revis Trades Barbs with Seahawks' Sherman on Twitter
- Falcons Prioritize Tony Gonzalez Signing
- Jets Release Four Players in Salary-Cap Move
- Darrelle Revis Uncertain of Future with Jets
- Ray Lewis, Your Seat at The Kids Table is Ready
- Vikings Peterson Wants to Keep Playing Alongside Harvin
- NFL Braces for Stormy Super Bowl XLVIII
- Bears Give Up on Johnny Knox
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
- Michael Vick Agrees to One-Year Restructured Deal with Eagles
- Newly Installed Device Blamed for Superdome Power Outage
- Eagles Plan to Keep Quarterback Michael Vick for Now
- Giants Waive Bradshaw and Canty to Clear Cap Space
- Ex-Saints Assistant Gregg Williams Reinstated, Joins Titans Coaching Staff
- Vikings RB Adrian Peterson Undergoes Surgery for Sports Hernia
- Ravens Celebrate Super Bowl XLVII Victory with Parade
- If Selected, Santa Clara Assures Power-Outage Free Super Bowl 50
- Joe Flacco, Justin Tucker Carry Ravens Past 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved