NFL Football Firings
There's a price to pay after poor seasons, and that is the case for both the Indianapolis Colts and Buffalo Bills. The Colts dismissed vice chairman Bill Polian and his son, Chris, the team's GM.
Indianapolis won just two games this past season, and "won" the rights to the No. 1 pick in the next NFL Draft.
"I was stunned, I was surprised, I was saddened and just disappointed that it all happened this way," Manning told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen by telephone. "I was actually meeting with Bill in the training room and we were talking about my rehab schedule, what I could and couldn't do in the facility under the new (collective bargaining agreement) and my checkpoints when he was summoned to see Irsay. He actually chuckled and said, 'We'll see.' "
The Bills, meanwhile, axed defensive coordinator George Edwards after a 6-10 season in which they crumbled after a 5-2 start.
Dave Wannstedt will replace Edwards, it was announced Monday.
"We're in a production business, that's the bottom line,'' Bills coach Chan Gailey said, according to the Democrat and Chronicle. "We need to get better production. George is an extremely smart guy. It's not all him and it never is. We lost some good players (to injury, including Pro Bowl nose tackle Kyle Williams and linebacker Shawne Merriman) and it's tough on anybody, but I think if you need to head in a different direction, then you have to do what you have to do.''
Tampa Bay fires head coach Raheem Morris and entire coaching staff
Tampa Bay, FL
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired head coach Raheem Morris Monday.
The rest of the coaching staff was fired as well after the Buccaneers went 4-12 this season after posting a 10-6 record in 2010.
Tampa Bay lost its last 10 games of the season in 2011 to finished in the basement in the NFC South. The losing streak was the franchise's worst in-season stretch since the 1977 club dropped its first 12 games.
Morris posted a 17-31 mark during his three seasons as head coach in Tampa. His tenure ended with a 45-24 loss to NFC South rival Atlanta in the season finale Sunday. It was Tampa Bay's seventh straight loss by 16 or more points.
Among the candidates likely to be considered for the job are former Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, and former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher.
Rams set to fire coach Spagnuolo, GM Devaney
St. Louis, MO
The fallout from a disappointing season appears to be coming soon in St. Louis.
According to a report, the St. Louis Rams will fire both coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney.
According to a team source, ESPN is reporting that the firings could be announced as early as Monday and no later than Tuesday.
The Rams finished their 2-14 season with a 34-27 loss to the NFC West champion San Francisco 49ers on Sunday.St. Louis finished the tied with the Indianapolis Colts for the worst record in the NFL.
Last season the Rams showed signs of improvement, but this season was a disaster almost from the start with injuries and the losses piled up.
St. Louis was 1-15 in Spagnuolo's first season but jumped to 7-9 last year and seemed to be on the verge of competing for the NFC West title. But the 2011 season was a huge disappointment and it left Spagnuolo just 10-38 in three seasons in St. Louis.
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: What to Look For
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
- NFL Football Firings
- Chicago Bears Dismiss GM After Poor Finish
- Manning, Cruz Pass Giants Over Cowboys into Playoffs
- In Like Flynn: Backup QB Powers Packers Past Lions
- Vick Leads Eagles Past Redskins For Fourth Straight Victory
- Colt McCoy says he wants to stay with Browns
- Giants Defensive End Osi Umenyiora Returns to Practice
- Patriots, 49ers Rack Up Most Pro Bowlers
- AFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- 2012 NFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- All on the Line in Final Week of Regular Season
- 2011 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 17
- Packers Take Over for Cowboys as America's Team
- Blue Christmas: Brandon Jacobs Lays into Jets after Giants Win
- Victor Cruz, Ahmad Bradshaw Lead Way as Giants Take Down Jets
- Brees Sets NFL Passing Record as Saints Rip Falcons
- Packers Wrap Up Top Seed in NFC
- Chargers Quarterback Not Happy Team will Miss NFL Playoffs Again
- Adrian Peterson Suffers Torn ACL in Vikings Costly Win vs Redskins
- David Akers Nails Game-Winning Field Goal as 49ers Edge Seahawks
- Eagles Handle Cowboys with Ease
- Flacco, Ravens Crush Browns: Close in on AFC North Crown
- Bills Intercept Tebow Four Times, Crush Broncos
- Lions Crush Chargers: Clinch First NFL Playoff Spot Since 1999
- Janikowski Field Goal Gives Raiders OT Win Over Chiefs
- Bengals Jump Out Early, Hold on Late Against Cardinals
- Brady Rallies Patriots Past Dolphins and First-Round Bye in AFC Playoffs
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- AFC Playoff Picture
- NFC Playoff Picture
- NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 16
- NFL to Stream Super Bowl for First Time
- 49ers Overcome Power Outage and Steelers in Big Win
- Packers Lose, Colts Win on Wild NFL Sunday
- Orton and Succup Deliver Goods: Chiefs End Packers Perfect Season
- Cardinals Push Win Streak to Four with OT Victory Against Browns
- Dolphins Interim Head Coach Todd Bowles Gets First Win
- Romo Sharp: Cowboys Blow Out Bucs
- Playoff Races Heat Up: 22 Teams in Playoff Contention
- NFL to Remain on Broadcast TV
- Matt Ryan, Falcons Rip Jaguars 41-14
- Vikings QB Joe Webb Weaves Magic
- Stafford, Levy Come Through as Lions Pursue Playoff Spot
- Dolphins Fire Head Coach Tony Sparano
Copyright 2011, AHN - All Rights Reserved