Giants Too Much for Falcons, Move On to Face Packers
NFL 2011 Playoffs
East Rutherford, NJ
Eli Manning threw three touchdown passes and the New York Giants defense turned in a dominant performance in a 24-2 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in an NFC wild card game Sunday.
Manning threw for 277 yards and two of his scoring strikes went to Hakeem Nicks as the Giants (10-7) set up a meeting with the top-seeded Green Bay Packers next weekend.
New York lost to Green Bay in the regular season, 38-35 on Dec. 4.
Atlanta (10-7) could not do much offensively all game and could not even pick up a yard in a pair of crucial situations.
The New York defense twice stopped Atlanta on fourth-and-one. The second time the Giants stuffed Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan on fourth-and-inches at the New York 21-yard line late in the third quarter.
Three plays later, Manning tossed a short pass to Nicks, who took it to the house for a 72-yard TD and a 17-2 lead for the Giants with 2:44 left in the quarter.
Ryan was sacked twice and completed 24-of-41 passes for 199 yards while running back Michael Turner was held to only 41 yards on 15 carries.
- Final Eight Take Center Stage In Divisional Playoffs
- Wild Card Weekend: A Look Back
- Tebow, Broncos Stun Steelers in Overtime
- Giants Too Much for Falcons, Move On to Face Packers
- Foster's Two TDs Power Texans Past Bengals
- Drew Brees, Saints Tame Lions
- Raiders Dismiss Head Coach Hue Jackson
- LaDainian Tomlinson 'Contemplating' Retirement
- Robert Griffin III Headed to NFL
- Colts Set Sights on Andrew Luck as No. 1 in NFL Draft
- Star Running Back LaMichael James Leaving Oregon for NFL
- Oklahoma's Landry Jones, Wisconsin's Ball Return For Senior Campaigns
- Browns Seek Playmaker at Number 4
- Cleveland Browns Need Plenty of Help in Rugged AFC North
- Chiefs Plan to Keep Romeo Crennel as Head Coach
- Parcells Heads Up Potential NFL Hall of Fame List
- Playoff Records, Facts, Figures and Milestones
- Regular Season Records and Milestones
- Wild Card Weekend Preview: What to Look For
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
- NFL Football Firings
- Chicago Bears Dismiss GM After Poor Finish
- Manning, Cruz Pass Giants Over Cowboys into Playoffs
- In Like Flynn: Backup QB Powers Packers Past Lions
- Vick Leads Eagles Past Redskins For Fourth Straight Victory
- Colt McCoy says he wants to stay with Browns
- Giants Defensive End Osi Umenyiora Returns to Practice
- Patriots, 49ers Rack Up Most Pro Bowlers
- AFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- 2012 NFC Pro Bowl Rosters
- All on the Line in Final Week of Regular Season
- 2011 NFL Playoff Scenarios for Week 17
- Packers Take Over for Cowboys as America's Team
- Blue Christmas: Brandon Jacobs Lays into Jets after Giants Win
- Victor Cruz, Ahmad Bradshaw Lead Way as Giants Take Down Jets
- Brees Sets NFL Passing Record as Saints Rip Falcons
- Packers Wrap Up Top Seed in NFC
- Chargers Quarterback Not Happy Team will Miss NFL Playoffs Again
Copyright 2012, AHN - All Rights Reserved