Islanders Acquire Veteran Goalie Tim Thomas from Bruins
The Islanders have acquired Tim Thomas from the Bruins for a conditional second round pick in 2014 or 2015.
Thomas could play with the Islanders or be dealt to another team looking for a goalie.
The Islanders have goaltenders Evgeni Nabokov, signed only for this season, and Rick DiPietro.
There is no indication that Thomas, 38, plans to leave his home in Colorado, where he is sitting out the season to spend time with his family. His agent, Bill Zito, said Thomas' situation is "status quo."
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli said the draft pick the Bruins will receive will depend upon whether Thomas plays again. Thomas was considering playing again in 2013-14.
He is technically suspended for not reporting, and is not receiving his $3 million salary.
Tuukka Rask has replaced Thomas in net.
Thomas is a two-time Vezina Trophy winner and a Conn Smythe Trophy winner in helping the Bruins win a Stanley Cup in 2011, and was 35-19-1 with a .920 save percentage last season.
- Marc Staal's Eye Injury Induces More NHL Visor Debate
- Blackhawks Patrick Kane enjoys LeBron-like attention
- Panthers center Stephen Weiss out for season due to wrist injury
- Goalie Rick DiPietro blames Islanders for career, life low points
- NHL Realignment Pending Approval from Executives and Players
- Mike Eruzione's 'Miracle On Ice' jersey and stick sold for almost $1 million
- Chicago Blackhawks set NHL mark with win
- Documentary Exposes The NHL's Culture Of Violence
- Raunchy 'Harlem Shake' rendition sidelines high school hockey team
- Islanders Place Expensive Netminder Rick DiPietro on Waivers
- Ducks extend goalie Viktor Fasth's contract by two years
- Slumping Sabres fire head coach Lindy Ruff
- Senators owner calls Penguins' Matt Cooke a 'Goon'
- Austria, Latvia, Slovenia Advance to 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey Event
- Islanders Acquire Veteran Goalie Tim Thomas from Bruins
- Montreal Canadiens Pin Hopes on Healthy Markove and Gionta
- Truncated NHL Season Kicks Off with 13 Blockbuster Games
- Kings' Darryl Sutter to Use More Players in Shortened NHL Season
- Ducks Hire Former Player Scott Niedermayer as Assistant Coach
- Henrik Zetterberg to Become Red Wings Captain
- NHL and Players' Union Reach 'Tentative' Agreement on New Labor Deal
- Grimaldi, Gibson Star as US Bags Gold in World Junior Hockey
- NHL Too Expensive for Canadians According to Survey
- NHL Lockout: Canadian Beer Sales Down
- Canadian Adult Shops Industry Booming During NHL Lockout
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved