What's Behind the Real-sugar Soda Movement?
Throwback drinks earned the nation's No. 2 soft-drink seller
I've been watching with amazement this whole Back to Sugar movement going on. Several food companies have reformulated their products to rid them of artificial sweeteners and reintroduce real sugar made from sugar cane or sugar beets. In addition to Pepsi's Throwback products, Sierra Mist touts its Natural brand made with sugar. Hansen's Natural comes in a variety of flavors and trumpets its non-sugarness; Dublin Dr. Pepper has a cult following; and Mexican Coke is becoming available in more and more markets.
Is sugar any better for you than high-fructose corn syrup? Some experts say they're practically the same, while many food advocates are pushing for real sugar because at least it's a natural ingredient, as opposed to HFCS, which came into wide use in the early 1980s because of its cost-effectiveness in soda alchemy, not because of taste.
I suspect, however, the real reason is that Gen-Xers are getting nostalgic for anything and everything associated with their fleeting youth, and even product packaging. Pepsi Throwback comes with the classic red-white-and-blue "meatball" design, as BevNet described it; Mountain Dew Throwback has the groovy font and cartoon miner left over from its 1960s inception. Both come in bottles as well as cans.
How do real-sugar sodas taste? Last summer we had a little newsroom blind test, and sugar-based Coke and Dr. Pepper generally were preferred over the HFCS versions. A downside is that real-sugar sodas are a lot more expensive; a 12-pack of Pepsi on Amazon goes for
So far, Coca-Cola doesn't appear to have any plans to match its rival, probably because it's beating Pepsi without sugar. Diet Coke recently overtook Pepsi as the nation's second-most-slurped soft drink.
If sugar does indeed taste better, Coke won't admit it. When I e-mailed the company for that taste-test post, spokesman Gorki A. De Los Santos replied that its research "shows that there is no perceptible taste difference between the products. ... Whether sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup or sugar, a Coke is a Coke and both are 'the real thing.'
"Also, as you might imagine, taste is a complex sense and is affected by many things, including the food you may consume with the product, the size of the glass, and amount of ice in the glass, the temperature of the beverage, etc. Some consumers have told us that they enjoy the sensation of drinking Coca-Cola out of a glass bottle, so perhaps, that is influencing their perception of the taste."
Are you nostalgic for sugar, and if you're a soda drinker, what brand sweetened your childhood tooth? Shasta? Fresca? Orange Crush? For me, it was Welch's Grape,
For better or worse, that's what got me started.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Experts Revisiting the Use of Antibiotics in Animal Agriculture
- Red Meat: Avoid the Processed Stuff
- What's Behind the Real-sugar Soda Movement?
- Is a juice fast a good way to lose weight?
- The Best Breakfast for Weight Loss
- Prescriptions: Don't Take A Drug Unless You Know Why
- When Pop Stars Become Pop Psychologists
- Harping on Healthy Eating Seldom Gets the Message Across
- Can Worrying Be Good for You?
- Aspirin Therapy: Safe for Sensitive Stomachs?
- Keeping Up With Vaccinations: New Guidelines Include Several Changes
- The Health Benefits of Smiling
- 4 Simple Steps to a Healthy Smile
- Do Home Tooth Remedies Really Work?
- How to Avoid Allergies This Season
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
- Nutrition Is 'In the Pink' with Rhubarb
- Four Sob Stories: The Effect of Tears and Three Other Tales of Woe
- If You Choose to Take Vitamins As Supplements Stick to the RDA
- Spring-clean Your Life Guide: Detox Your Home
- The Truth About Booze: Distinguishing Fact From Fiction
- Use Bold and Beautiful Spices for Health
- Much (Well Deserved) Ado About Mangoes
- Could Fluoride Rinses Help Prevent Cavities
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- Medical Schools Embrace Alternative Medicine
- Pre-Existing Conditions? Health Insurance Options Improving
- Washington D.C. Tops On Well-Being Index
- Spring-clean Your Life Guide: Clean up Your Diet
- Why Eating While Distracted Can Make You Fat
- Lose Fat With Your Dentist's Help
- Heart-Healthy Foods and Supplements Show Promise To Keep Cholesterol In Check
- Urban Legends on Wine Headaches and Sensitivities Abound
- Is Coffee Bad For You? Check the Evidence Before You Decide
- Organ Donation Demystified
- Is It Alzheimer's?
- Spring-clean Your Teeth
- Can That Dental Procedure Wait?
- Yes, Doc: I Have a Dirty Mouth!
- The Only 10 iPhone Health Apps You Need
- Drinking Water Before Meals to Lose Weight
- Sleep Is Not Enough: Getting the Rest You Need
- The Great Fat Debate Continues
- Refined Carbohydrates May Be Even Worse For You Than Saturated Fat
- Guess What You Just Ate: Watch Labels For Food Additives
- How to Talk to Your Doctor
- Spring-clean to Stay Healthy
- Mindful Eating: Savoring Your Food Has Physical and Psychological Benefits
- Cholesterol That's Good for Your Brain
- Tips For Natural Allergy Relief
- Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
- Sneaky Diet-spoilers
- Foods That Help Men Stay Healthy
- Broccoli Rabe: Broccoli's Bolder Cousin
- Aromatherapy: Simple Tips for a Healthier You
- Is Chewing Gum Good or Bad for My Teeth?
- 5 Habits to Help You Get Enough Sleep
- Understanding Headache Pain: Causes and Treatments Vary Widely
- Take the 'Small Steps' Challenge to Discover a Healthier You
- Hand-washing 101: Kill Germs, Don't Spread Them
- Pilot Safety Secrets for Dentists
- Healthy Diet Can Help Ward Off Type 2 Diabetes
- Overcoming Insomnia: Lifestyle Changes, Medication, Psychotherapy Can Help
- Everybody Say Om: The Real Powers of Meditation
- Green Veggies and Fruit Pack a Big Nutritional Punch
- Many Mouthwash Claims Don't Hold Up
- Know Your Vitamins: Vitamin K
- Health Benefits of Tea
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health
- Fasting Can Have Many Benefits for the Body
- The Glycemic Index Explained
- Letting Go of Grudges Helps Your Health
- Health and Wellness With Doctor Oz
- Foods to Boost Your Moods
- How Terrible is it to Skip Meals?
- Is Your Lunch Safe to Eat?
- Create a Healthy Diet
- 8 Foods for a Beautiful Smile
- Image Makeover Turning Coffee Into a Health Food
- Pick Blueberries for Brain Defense
- Tips to Manage Blood Sugar
- 5 Fats You Should Eat Every Day
- Does Money Buy Happiness?
- Vitamin Sources From A to K
- The Important Vitamin You May Be Forgetting
- Fill 'Er Up! Protein At Breakfast Impacts Satiety
- Preexisting Conditions Common in United States
- Talking to Teens About Marijuana: 9 Do's and Don'ts
- Break Habits That Harm the Heart
- The Pros of Probiotics: What's Good for the Belly Benefits the Brain
- Get Relief For Everyday Aches and Pains
- Seek Immediate Treatment at First Signs of Stroke
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices the Best Way to Minimize Cancer Risk
- Are Drugstore Blood-Pressure Machines Accurate?
- Get Over Your Childhood Eating Habits
- 5 Tricks That Make Your Dentist Happy
- Could You Have Bad Breath Today?
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
Copyright © 2011 The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.). Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.