The Path to a Healthy Vegan Diet
Sharon Palmer, R.D.
Are you considering a vegan lifestyle? Not so long ago, "going vegan" was a difficult path, filled with challenges and, to a certain extent, isolation. Today, being vegan is "cool," thanks to celebrities like
It doesn't hurt that health experts are coming forward with scientific evidence promoting the benefits of diets that are based on plants, rather than animals. At the
If you've decided to go vegan, whether for health or philosophical reasons, it's important to put a little thought into your new strategy. While it's getting easier to find vegan products in supermarkets, it's important to ensure that you get a balanced diet that meets all of your nutritional needs. Check out Environmental Nutrition's Nine Vegan Diet Rules to make the most of your diet.
Environmental Nutrition's Nine Vegan Diet Rules
If you've chosen to go vegan, follow our top rules to make sure your diet is complete.
1. Protein perspective.
It's a common misperception that it's impossible to get adequate protein on a vegan diet. Yet nearly all foods contain some protein, except for alcohol, sugar and fat. If you eat a balanced diet with many plant foods and grains, you're already getting good sources of protein. To ensure that you're meeting your protein needs, shoot for two servings of nuts and seeds like walnuts, peanuts, and sunflower seeds, and three servings of legumes and soy such as beans, lentils, peas and tofu, every day.
2. Vitamin B12 boost.
This important vitamin is found in animal products, so you need to either consume vitamin B12-fortified foods or take a supplement to meet your needs.
3. Vitamin D-fense.
It's a challenge for vegans to get adequate levels of the important nutrient vitamin D. That's why you should try to get 10 minutes of sunlight a day, consume vitamin-D fortified foods such as soy or rice milk, breakfast cereal, or orange juice; or take a vitamin D supplement.
4. Calcium counts.
Even if you forfeit meat and dairy, your body still needs calcium. Focus on calcium-fortified products like juices and soy milk, and calcium-rich foods like dark green vegetables, almonds, and broccoli; and consider taking a calcium supplement.
5. Pump iron.
You don't need animal products to get iron. Make sure you include plant iron sources like spinach, kidney beans, lentils and whole wheat bread in your diet, and add a vitamin C source to increase your absorption of iron.
6. Omega-3 bonus.
If you're skipping out on fish, you may not be reaping the nutritional rewards of omega-3 fatty acids. So, get your omega-3s by eating about two servings a day of foods rich in plant omega-3s, such as walnuts, canola oil, soy products, and hemp.
7. Find zinc.
You can easily meet your zinc needs, as long as you include whole grains, legumes, green vegetables, and nuts in your diet.
8. Make your calories count.
When you're eating vegan, you need to make sure your food choices really count so that you meet all of your protein, vitamin and mineral needs. Instead of falling for vegan "junk foods," available in grocery stores that supply mostly refined grains and sugars, keep your diet primarily whole foods. Seek a variety of natural plant foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds. And don't forget to change it up; by varying the types of plant foods you eat every day you will ensure a diverse supply of important nutrients.
9. The Vegetarian Food Pyramid.
Make planning easier by downloading the Vegetarian Food Pyramid at www.vegetariannutrition.org -- it will make planning a cinch.
Available at Amazon.com:
- The Path to a Healthy Vegan Diet
- Lessons About Leptin, Weight, and Your Eating Environment
- Don't Slip Out the Door in the Morning Without Some Fuel
- Accounting for Taste: Why is a Delicacy to Some a Serving of Slop to Others?
- Turmeric: Super-Spice for Health
- 5 Tips to Bulldoze a Bad Mood
- Stem Cells Don't A Super Human Make
- New Book Promises to Reverse Heart Disease with Diet
- Mind-Controlled Prosthetic Arm to Help Amputees
- Is Chocolate Really Healthy?
- Statins Have Benefits Beyond Protecting Our Arteries
- You May Not Be as Thin as You think You Are
- Minimally Invasive Treatments Available For Bothersome Leg Veins
- The Rise of the Superbugs
- Healthy and Whole Convenience Food: Best of Both Worlds Is Possible
- The Case for Caffeine
- Let's Put the 'Public' in Public Defibrillators
- 4 Things Women Should Be Doing in Their Training
- Why You Need More Self-compassion
- Should You Go to a Holistic Dentist?
- Summer Skin: Prep and Protect
- Why 30 Years of AIDS Is Only the Tip of the Iceberg
- Food Allergies and Food Intolerance
- Fill Your Daily Whole Grains 'Gap'
- B Vitamins Play Vital Role in Brain Functioning
- Agave Nectar Is In Demand, But Is It Better Than Sugar?
- Break Your Sugar Addiction
- Gloomy Forecast on Heart Disease
- Biting Your Nails is Bad for Your Teeth
- Breaking Free From Nicotine Dependence
- Maqui Berries Make Splash in Exotic 'Superfruit' Circuit
- Are Electric Toothbrushes Worth the Cost?
- Is Your Work Posture Harming Your Health?
- Experts Revisiting the Use of Antibiotics in Animal Agriculture
- Red Meat: Avoid the Processed Stuff
- What's Behind the Real-sugar Soda Movement?
- Is a juice fast a good way to lose weight?
- The Best Breakfast for Weight Loss
- Prescriptions: Don't Take A Drug Unless You Know Why
- When Pop Stars Become Pop Psychologists
- Harping on Healthy Eating Seldom Gets the Message Across
- Can Worrying Be Good for You?
- Aspirin Therapy: Safe for Sensitive Stomachs?
- Keeping Up With Vaccinations: New Guidelines Include Several Changes
- The Health Benefits of Smiling
- 4 Simple Steps to a Healthy Smile
- Do Home Tooth Remedies Really Work?
- How to Avoid Allergies This Season
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
- Nutrition Is 'In the Pink' with Rhubarb
- Four Sob Stories: The Effect of Tears and Three Other Tales of Woe
- If You Choose to Take Vitamins As Supplements Stick to the RDA
- Spring-clean Your Life Guide: Detox Your Home
- The Truth About Booze: Distinguishing Fact From Fiction
- Use Bold and Beautiful Spices for Health
- Much (Well Deserved) Ado About Mangoes
- Could Fluoride Rinses Help Prevent Cavities
- Can Clutter Make You Sick?
- Medical Schools Embrace Alternative Medicine
- Pre-Existing Conditions? Health Insurance Options Improving
- Washington D.C. Tops On Well-Being Index
- Spring-clean Your Life Guide: Clean up Your Diet
- Why Eating While Distracted Can Make You Fat
- Lose Fat With Your Dentist's Help
- Heart-Healthy Foods and Supplements Show Promise To Keep Cholesterol In Check
- Urban Legends on Wine Headaches and Sensitivities Abound
- Is Coffee Bad For You? Check the Evidence Before You Decide
- Organ Donation Demystified
- Is It Alzheimer's?
- Spring-clean Your Teeth
- Can That Dental Procedure Wait?
- Yes, Doc: I Have a Dirty Mouth!
- The Only 10 iPhone Health Apps You Need
- Drinking Water Before Meals to Lose Weight
- Sleep Is Not Enough: Getting the Rest You Need
- The Great Fat Debate Continues
- Refined Carbohydrates May Be Even Worse For You Than Saturated Fat
- Guess What You Just Ate: Watch Labels For Food Additives
- How to Talk to Your Doctor
- Spring-clean to Stay Healthy
- Mindful Eating: Savoring Your Food Has Physical and Psychological Benefits
- Cholesterol That's Good for Your Brain
- Tips For Natural Allergy Relief
- Insulin Toppled As Ruler of Diabetes
- Sneaky Diet-spoilers
- Foods That Help Men Stay Healthy
- Broccoli Rabe: Broccoli's Bolder Cousin
- Aromatherapy: Simple Tips for a Healthier You
- Is Chewing Gum Good or Bad for My Teeth?
- 5 Habits to Help You Get Enough Sleep
- Understanding Headache Pain: Causes and Treatments Vary Widely
- Take the 'Small Steps' Challenge to Discover a Healthier You
- Hand-washing 101: Kill Germs, Don't Spread Them
- Pilot Safety Secrets for Dentists
- Healthy Diet Can Help Ward Off Type 2 Diabetes
- Overcoming Insomnia: Lifestyle Changes, Medication, Psychotherapy Can Help
- Everybody Say Om: The Real Powers of Meditation
- Green Veggies and Fruit Pack a Big Nutritional Punch
- Many Mouthwash Claims Don't Hold Up
- Know Your Vitamins: Vitamin K
- Health Benefits of Tea
- Spring-cleaning Checklist for Your Health
- Fasting Can Have Many Benefits for the Body
- The Glycemic Index Explained
- Letting Go of Grudges Helps Your Health
- Health and Wellness With Doctor Oz
- Foods to Boost Your Moods
- How Terrible is it to Skip Meals?
- Is Your Lunch Safe to Eat?
- Create a Healthy Diet
- 8 Foods for a Beautiful Smile
- Image Makeover Turning Coffee Into a Health Food
- Pick Blueberries for Brain Defense
- Tips to Manage Blood Sugar
- 5 Fats You Should Eat Every Day
- Does Money Buy Happiness?
- Vitamin Sources From A to K
- The Important Vitamin You May Be Forgetting
- Fill 'Er Up! Protein At Breakfast Impacts Satiety
- Preexisting Conditions Common in United States
- Talking to Teens About Marijuana: 9 Do's and Don'ts
- Break Habits That Harm the Heart
- The Pros of Probiotics: What's Good for the Belly Benefits the Brain
- Get Relief For Everyday Aches and Pains
- Seek Immediate Treatment at First Signs of Stroke
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices the Best Way to Minimize Cancer Risk
- Are Drugstore Blood-Pressure Machines Accurate?
- Get Over Your Childhood Eating Habits
- 5 Tricks That Make Your Dentist Happy
- Could You Have Bad Breath Today?
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
Copyright © 2011 Belvoir Media Group, LLC. DISTRIBUTED BY Tribune Media Services