Cool New Pair of Sunglasses
Style + Tech For Men
Now that spring is here, I'm looking for a cool new pair of sunglasses as an accessory. How can I find the right pair?
Men have become a lot more hip and "with it" than they used to be. They're willing to take more chances with accessories to look cool, and many new options in sunglasses offer that opportunity. Finding the right pair for you begins with the contour of both the frames and your face.
You don't want to get frames that too closely mirror the shape of your face. If you have a round face or a square face, you want to avoid frames that accentuate or emphasize those features. There needs to be a contrast to achieve a positive effect. You want to select a shape that's the opposite of your facial structure. If you have a square face, find a frame with at least a little softness.
Retro shapes and styles inspired by the '70s and '80s are trendy right now. Look for bigger aviators -- try the ones from familiar companies like Ray-Ban -- interesting square-shaped frames, and double bridges.
Another big trend right now is big frames. If you're a guy that has a smaller face, you don't want to go too big, because you'll look like Urkel. The frame should fit within the facial pocket between your cheekbone and your eyebrow, and not occupy more than 25 percent of your facial real estate.
It used to be that you wouldn't see a lot of different hues for men, but we're starting to see a lot of navy blues and greens. Colors are big now -- even in sports lines (such as those made by Kaenon ), which are traditionally the territory of the conservative. Barton Perreira makes many desirable frames that come in an interesting array of colors, and that's a new development. Clear frames are also really in.
More flamboyant guys are grabbing more stylish frames, like those made by Chrome Hearts. They feature a lot of detail on them, including sterling silver, leather and wood. These frames tend to be on the larger side and are fairly bold and trendy. You'll see over-the-top celebrities like Jim Jones, Lenny Kravitz and Eddie Murphy wearing these. I wouldn't recommend them to accountants or bankers who have to maintain a conservative look.
No matter what your style, you want to make sure you have close to 100 percent UVA and UVB protection. If you're buying a frame off the rack, there should be a sticker that tells you how much protection the glasses offer. If there is no sticker, don't buy them. If they're not 100 percent, it means you're getting UV rays into your eyes, which could lead to cataracts later in life.
Available at Amazon.com
- How to Get Kate Middleton's Style
- Frosted Makeup Trend
- Curly-haired Ladies: How to Get out of a Hair Rut
- Hair Trend Alert: Ombre Color
- Marilyn Monroe-inspired Hairstyles
- Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair
- Cool New Pair of Sunglasses
- The Ultimate Guide to Looking Cool in Khaki
- 4 Staples for Sizzling Summer Style
- Trench Coats and Rain Coats
- How to Buy a Suit
- Are You Using the Right Soap for Your Skin?
- Wedding Beauty Countdown
- 4 Steps to a New Spring Look
- Shortcuts to a Bright and White Smile
- 4 Beauty Products to Keep in Your Summer Makeup Bag
- Spring's Fresh Makeup Shades
- Spring Makeup: Sunny Colors
- The Best Blondes for Spring
- The Hottest Nail Colors This Season
- Six Tips for Sporting Denim This Spring
- Simple Ways to Spring-clean Your Closet
- Make Over Your Spring Skin Care
- Hair Styles: 1920s-inspired Waves
- Hair Color Trend: Brunettes Are Back
- Make Over Your Hair and Makeup for Spring
- Making Sense of Fashion Sense
- Hair Products: Do You Need His-and-hers?
- How to Wear Spring's Pastel Makeup
- Express Beauty: Get Gorgeous in No Time
- Get a Short Hairdo -- or Try One Virtually
- Styling a Ponytail Video
- Quick Ways to Create Texture and Volume Video
- Makeup Trend: Orange Lipstick
- Spring's Must-have Statement Jewelry
- Four Steps to a New Spring Look
- Four Ways to Fake Great Legs
- Celebrity Hair Comeback: The Farrah Flip
- The Modern Smoky Eye
- Beauty From the Inside Out
- Celebrity Style: Best Oscar Hair
- Kate Middleton: Royal Wedding Beauty
- Amanda Peet's Beauty Secrets
- Mix-and-match Your Wardrobe for Spring
- Switch up Your Hair Care Routine
- Cool New Pair of Sunglasses
- New Bang Trend: Center-parted Bangs
- Your Guide to Face Primers
- Simple Ways to Touch up Hair and Makeup
- Get Inspired by Fashion Icons
- All About the Gel Manicure
- Top Hair and Beauty Trends From the Oscars
- Updo? Can Do!
- Add Shine to Your Hair
- How to Get Gorgeous as You Sleep
- Winter Shorts
- Blond Pixies
- Hair and Makeup Trends: New York Fall Fashion Week
- Hair Trends: Chin-Length Bob
- Kate Walsh's Beauty Tips
- Get a Natural-looking Faux Tan
- The Best Hair and Beauty Trends From the Grammys
- Create Flawless Skin With Concealer
- Best Oscar Makeup
- New York Fashion Week Makeup Forecast
- New Hair Trends for Spring
- Add Color to Your Winter-weather Wardrobe
- Celebrity Hair Trend: Fake-out Hairstyles
- The Most Painless Way to Grow Out a Layered Bob
- How to Choose a Pixie Cut
- Celebrity Makeup for the Oscars
- Simple Steps for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Tailored Shirts at Off-the-rack Prices
- Hot Looks for Date Night
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.