Green Your Commute
You don't have to completely give up your car to prove how much you care about the environment. Simply changing the way you commute can radically reduce the amount of air pollution, greenhouse gases and carbon emissions you produce each day. And what's more, alternative modes of transportation can benefit your health, save you money and even lead to new friendships (hello, carpool buddies!).
Here, Brian Carr, director of communications for the Clean Air Campaign, shares a variety of ways for commuters to green their rides:
1. If you live in an urban area, choose public transit. It's one of the greenest ways to travel -- plus, it allows you to spend your commute reading a book, catching up on work, following the news or even napping, instead of sitting in traffic. "Public transit allows commuters to engage in a hobby or get work done en route, so you arrive at your destination more relaxed and ready to begin your day," says Carr.
2. Walk or bike whenever you can. Statistics show that nearly 50 percent of trips taken in a day are 3 miles away or less. Consider going without the car for these short trips, and you'll contribute considerably to reducing carbon emissions. Bonus: Choosing to walk or ride lets you squeeze in a workout without taking time to hit the gym.
3. If you have to drive, form a carpool to make a big difference. Even if you only carpool a few days a week, you can save thousands of dollars annually on gas costs and reduce your carbon footprint by 50 percent. You can also shave time off your commute by using designated carpool lanes. "Communities have really formed around carpooling," says Carr. "One group of Georgia commuters, calling themselves the Rolling Readers, formed a book club on wheels." While it's is a great way to get to know co-workers and neighbors, Carr points out that you can also designate your carpool as a quiet ride, giving passengers time and space to relax rather than socialize.
Even as a solo driver, there are a number of ways to clean up your act:
1. Slow down and avoid sudden starts and stops. According to FuelEconomy.com, a division of the U.S. Department of Energy, speeding, jerky acceleration and braking can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town.
2. Turn off your engine when idling for longer than 60 seconds.
3. Keep your car tuned and your tires full. CarbonFund.org has found that a tuned car and full tires help to keep 400 to 700 pounds of carbon out of the air each year.
4. Turn off the AC. It'll reduce the amount of greenhouse gases your car gives off, plus save you money at the pump by cutting down on your gas use.
5. Consolidate car trips. Lumping errands together reduces car time. "Every mile we don't drive takes 1 pound of pollution out of the air," says Carr.
If you green your commute, you might receive a big bonus for it: Many community organizations have formed incentive programs, offering gas cards, refunds and other benefits to those who reduce the environmental impact of their commute. Check out your city's or town's official website for more commuting information or ask your employer if your company has any transportation programs in place -- if not, be the first to start one!
Dana Goeglein received a bachelor's in creative writing from Sarah Lawrence College and a master's in food studies from New York University. She is a writer, yoga instructor and whole foods educator in New York City, where she strives to help others create harmonious, connected lives.
For more career and personal development advice, visit iHaveNet.com Careers
- 6 Ways to Network While You're in College
- How to Get the Salary You Want Even in This Economy
- The Quitting Quiz
- Can I Afford to Quit My Job?
- Green Your Commute
- Many Once-Standard Workplace Benefits Disappearing
- 5 Factors to Consider Before Relocating for a Job
- How to Take Off After a Layoff
- Unemployed for Life?
- Employers Increasingly Trimming Or Cutting Disability Benefits
- Boost Your Mood with This Simple Trick
- How to Create a Career without a Full-Time Job
- Become Unbreakable: 10 Tips to Create More Personal Resilience
- Get Over Yourself! Learn This Secret to Boost Your Confidence
- Steve Jobs: 5 Secrets of Success
- Do One Simple Thing to Immediately Increase Your Power
- Take Charge of Your Professional Development
- 6 Ways the World of Work is Changing
- Mastering the New Freelance Economy
- How to Deal with a Gap on Your Resume
- 6 Things You Must Do Today to Stay Sane in an Insane World
- How to Make a Career Back-Up Plan
- Navigate the Booming Computer Science Market
- How Higher Education Affects Lifetime Salary
- Unfinished College Degree Means Less Money
- Start Living Your Miracle Life
- Workplace Benefits That Are Rapidly Disappearing
- 5 Common Resume Misconceptions
- How Social Media Can Help 50-Plus Workers Find Jobs
- How to Run a Meeting that Won't Tick Off Employees
- Job Opportunity for Entrepreneurial New Grads
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 12 Ways to Be More Creative at Work
- Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
- Getting Ahead in Hard Times
- Why New Graduates Should Consider Entrepreneurship
- 6 Tips for the Hopeful Entrepreneur
- Think Startups are Fueling the Recovery? Not So Much
- How the Crippled Housing Market Affects Job Seekers
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- How to Use Twitter to Change Careers
- Tips for College Grads Starting First Jobs
- 5 Ways Your Negative Friends Can Drag You Down
- Job Market Sucks? Not for Techies
- How to Land a Job in Tech Even if You Don't Write Code
- 5 Creative Ways to Showcase Your Resume Online
- Can Profanity Help Your Career?
- Business Schools Hope to Shatter Sturdy Glass Ceiling
- Failure Is Now Fashionable
- How to Mesh In-Person and Online Networking
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- Why You Should Ditch the Quest for the Perfect Career
- Best Travel Companies to Work For
- The Oprah Effect: Ultimate Star-Maker Moves On As Should We
- Companies with the Most Older Workers
- 9 Companies Hiring Now
- Find New Law Jobs in a Slow Economy
- Make a Difference (And a Fortune!) Sharing Your Advice
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Healthcare Jobs on the Rise
- Can I Afford to Take a Sabbatical?
- How to Position Yourself to Change Careers
- How to Create Superstar Employees: Beyond Work-Life Balance
- The 10 Worst Cities for Job Seekers
- Hate Your Job? 3 Ways to Find a Better Job
- Alternative Career Options for Burned-Out Lawyers
- Where the Engineering Jobs Are
- Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance
- Tips for Communicating Well at Work
- Where the M.B.A. Jobs Are
- Not Too Late to Find a Summer Job or Internship
- When Surviving is Not Enough
- Navigating the Digital Job Market When You're Not Tech Savvy
- What Your Name Says About You in the Workplace
- Yoga Teaching Increasingly Popular as Second Career
- 9 Tips to Stop Caring What Others Think
- When Using Job Boards It Pays to Go Niche
- New Site Helps You Use Facebook for Your Job Search
- Tips to Create More Energy and Confidence
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Grads May Find More Jobs at Entrepreneurial Firms
- 3 Steps to Create a More Powerful Self-Image
- Switching Jobs in Bad Times: Should You Make the Leap?
- Extra Income: Bring in the Cash
- Treat Your Career Like a SmartPhone
- And on the Side, I'm an Entrepreneur
- Trouble at the Office
- How to Invest Your Time and Energy for Maximum Success
- Is It Time to Go Back to School?
- A Balanced Life is for Losers
- Thinking of Starting a Business? Look Before You Leap
- The Most Effective Ways to Look for a Job
- The Death of the One-Page Resume?
- Brighter Job Outlook for Class of 2011
- Quitting Fear Inc
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Women's Day: Life (and Work) Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- Stop Waiting for Permission
- Proactive Job-Search Strategy: Pitch Your Dream Company
- Cover Letters That Work
- Change Your Life and Create a Personal Revolution
- Taking a New Job Without Burning Bridges at the Old Job
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- The Quickest Way to Radically Improve Your Life: Use Radical Change
- 8 Workplace Perks for New Parents
- Reach Your Goals More Quickly: Use Incremental Change
- What the .Jobs Domain Means for Job Seekers
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- 10 Best Cities to Get a Job
- How to Be a Smart Job-Hopper
- How Job Seekers Can Build Their Online Brand
- Take Your Resume to the Next Level: Video
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- Rise in Social Media Jobs Means Opportunity for Job Seeker
- Want More Clout? Stand Up Straight
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Best Jobs 2011: Emergency Management Specialist
- 10 Jobs That Offer a Big Bang for Your Buck
- Best Career Advice: 2011
- Career Advice Hits of 2010
- Careful Actions Can Lead to Good Luck
- The Top 50 Companies to Work For
- Never Let Excuses Drag You Down Again
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- 6 Steps to Polish Up Your Resume
- 6 Tips for GenY on the Job Hunt
- Be Wary About Chancing a Workplace Romance
Careers - Green Your Commute
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.