Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
Do you need a miracle in your life?
I'm a big proponent of asking solution-focused questions. Solution-focused questions focus on a better future, as opposed to problem-focused solutions that focus on a troubled past. Can't get a callback for a job interview? The problem-focused person will dwell on what's wrong with him, and ask himself why he never gets an interview. The solution-focused applicant focuses on what has worked, what their strengths are and what might work in the future.
The questions you ask define your reality. They can help you live your best life, or they can distract you (at best) or even derail you. It's time you start thinking like a lawyer. A good trial lawyer uses questions to construct a reality that builds their case and best supports their client. It's time for you to become a better advocate for yourself by asking better questions.
Think about the questions you ask as beacons of light. The focus of your question becomes the focus of your attention. No matter what questions you are asking, you are always defining what is important and what is worth your attention. If you get in the habit of asking problem-focused questions, your energy will be spent on your problems and not necessarily on the solutions.
One of the very best questions I've ever come across is called the Miracle Question. The Miracle Question is a popular question in Solution-Focused Therapy -- a type of therapy that focuses less on problems and the past, and more on solutions and the future. The genius behind this question is that it forces you to stop thinking about why you can't achieve something and allows you to imagine how your life could be if something miraculous occurred.
The Miracle Question
Suppose that tonight while you sleep, a miracle happens, and all of your problems are solved. But since you're asleep when the miracle occurs, you aren't aware that it even happens. When you wake up tomorrow morning, how are you going to discover evidence of that miracle? What will you see yourself doing, thinking or believing that will prove a miracle has happened in your life or business?
Now it's your turn. Can you answer the miracle question? Most people can quickly and easily rattle off dozens of problems in their life, but struggle when it comes to answering the Miracle Question. Why? It doesn't take much insight to find problems, but it takes a lot of introspection to find solutions. When you shift from hating this and that about life and instead dream about what positive changes you want to make, you are focusing on solutions. If you're feeling brave, feel free to answer the Miracle Question in the comments section.
To help you get started asking better questions, I've created the "Richer Life Question of the Week!" I hope these Saturday morning questions will allow you to reflect on where you've been and where you're headed, and I hope they provide you with insight to help you create a more powerful, fuller, richer life. I've already found that the real fruit of this exercise is publicly answering each question and reading the community's responses.
The better your questions, the better your life.
For more career and personal development advice, visit iHaveNet.com Careers
Available at Amazom.com: Great on the Job
- 12 Ways to Be More Creative at Work
- Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
- Getting Ahead in Hard Times
- Why New Graduates Should Consider Entrepreneurship
- 6 Tips for the Hopeful Entrepreneur
- Think Startups are Fueling the Recovery? Not So Much
- How the Crippled Housing Market Affects Job Seekers
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- How to Use Twitter to Change Careers
- Tips for College Grads Starting First Jobs
- 5 Ways Your Negative Friends Can Drag You Down
- Job Market Sucks? Not for Techies
- How to Land a Job in Tech Even if You Don't Write Code
- 5 Creative Ways to Showcase Your Resume Online
- Can Profanity Help Your Career?
- Business Schools Hope to Shatter Sturdy Glass Ceiling
- Failure Is Now Fashionable
- How to Mesh In-Person and Online Networking
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- Why You Should Ditch the Quest for the Perfect Career
- Best Travel Companies to Work For
- The Oprah Effect: Ultimate Star-Maker Moves On As Should We
- Companies with the Most Older Workers
- 9 Companies Hiring Now
- Find New Law Jobs in a Slow Economy
- Make a Difference (And a Fortune!) Sharing Your Advice
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Healthcare Jobs on the Rise
- Can I Afford to Take a Sabbatical?
- How to Position Yourself to Change Careers
- How to Create Superstar Employees: Beyond Work-Life Balance
- The 10 Worst Cities for Job Seekers
- Hate Your Job? 3 Ways to Find a Better Job
- Alternative Career Options for Burned-Out Lawyers
- Where the Engineering Jobs Are
- Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance
- Tips for Communicating Well at Work
- Where the M.B.A. Jobs Are
- Not Too Late to Find a Summer Job or Internship
- When Surviving is Not Enough
- Navigating the Digital Job Market When You're Not Tech Savvy
- What Your Name Says About You in the Workplace
- Yoga Teaching Increasingly Popular as Second Career
- 9 Tips to Stop Caring What Others Think
- When Using Job Boards It Pays to Go Niche
- New Site Helps You Use Facebook for Your Job Search
- Tips to Create More Energy and Confidence
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Grads May Find More Jobs at Entrepreneurial Firms
- 3 Steps to Create a More Powerful Self-Image
- Switching Jobs in Bad Times: Should You Make the Leap?
- Extra Income: Bring in the Cash
- Treat Your Career Like a SmartPhone
- And on the Side, I'm an Entrepreneur
- Trouble at the Office
- How to Invest Your Time and Energy for Maximum Success
- Is It Time to Go Back to School?
- A Balanced Life is for Losers
- Thinking of Starting a Business? Look Before You Leap
- The Most Effective Ways to Look for a Job
- The Death of the One-Page Resume?
- Brighter Job Outlook for Class of 2011
- Quitting Fear Inc
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Women's Day: Life (and Work) Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- Stop Waiting for Permission
- Proactive Job-Search Strategy: Pitch Your Dream Company
- Cover Letters That Work
- Change Your Life and Create a Personal Revolution
- Taking a New Job Without Burning Bridges at the Old Job
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- The Quickest Way to Radically Improve Your Life: Use Radical Change
- 8 Workplace Perks for New Parents
- Reach Your Goals More Quickly: Use Incremental Change
- What the .Jobs Domain Means for Job Seekers
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- 10 Best Cities to Get a Job
- How to Be a Smart Job-Hopper
- How Job Seekers Can Build Their Online Brand
- Take Your Resume to the Next Level: Video
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- Rise in Social Media Jobs Means Opportunity for Job Seeker
- Want More Clout? Stand Up Straight
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Best Jobs 2011: Emergency Management Specialist
- 10 Jobs That Offer a Big Bang for Your Buck
- Best Career Advice: 2011
- Career Advice Hits of 2010
- Careful Actions Can Lead to Good Luck
- The Top 50 Companies to Work For
- Never Let Excuses Drag You Down Again
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- 6 Steps to Polish Up Your Resume
- 6 Tips for GenY on the Job Hunt
- Be Wary About Chancing a Workplace Romance
Careers - Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
Copyright © 2011 CBS INTERACTIVE INC. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES INC.