Yankees Seek to Avoid Bidding War for Robinson Cano
The New York Yankees have discussed a contract extension with second baseman Robinson Cano, who will be a free agent after this season.
Sources say that Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner is negotiating with agent Scott Boras about not having to bid on the free agent market for Cano's services.
As a matter of policy, the Yankees refuse to discuss extending existing contracts with players, managers or general managers. An exception was made when GM Brian Cashman offered to discuss a contract extension with Alex Rodriguez during the 2007 season.
The 29-year-old Cano, who will play in 2013 under a team option that will pay him $15 million, is expected to command a deal that could reach $200 million as a free agent.
Boras is expected to seek a deal in line with that of the Reds' Joey Votto ($225 million over 10 years), Angels' Albert Pujols ($240 million for 10 years), or Mariners' Felix Hernandez for (five years at $135.5 million).
It remains to be seen whether Boras would allow Cano to sign with the Yankees before testing the free agent market.
A four-time All-Star, Cano batted .313 with 33 home runs, 94 RBIs and a team-high .929 OPS in 2012. He is a .308 lifetime hitter who has averaged 28 home runs and 101 RBIs over his past four seasons, and is considered one of the best defensive second basemen in the league.
- Papelbon Claims Red Sox Injected Players with Toradol
- Yankees Seek to Avoid Bidding War for Robinson Cano
- Despite Contrary Reports, Schilling Maintains PED Advice Occurred
- Pitcher Felix Hernandez, Mariners Close In On 7-year, $175M deal
- Schilling: Ex-Red Sox Members Tried to Convince Me to Use PEDs
- Giants Allow Nine Players to Join World Baseball Classic
- Brewers' Braun Denies Obtaining Banned Substances from Miami Clinic
- Cards Pitcher Chris Carpenter to Miss Season Due to Nerve Injury
- A's Achieve Depth with Acqusition of Infielder Jed Lowrie
- MLB Investigators Seek to Obtain Notebooks Detailing PED Use
- Yankees Using PED Issue to Wiggle Out of A-Rod's Contract
- Stan Musial: The Man
- Dodgers to Start Own Regional Sports Media Network
- Frank Thomas Confident of 2014 Hall of Fame Enshrinement
- MLB Investigates South Florida Wellness Clinics for Ties to Performance Enhancers
- Pitcher Carl Pavano Ruptures Spleen in Snow Shoveling Accident
- Pedro Martinez Lands Front-Office Role with Red Sox
- Mets Lose Outfielder Scott Hairston to Cubs
- Braves Acquire Justin Upton From D-Backs for Five Players
- 10 Biggest Disappointments for the 2012 Mets
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved