Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
The Cleveland Indians are making a serious push to acquire free-agent outfielder Nick Swisher to fill the vacancy at right field.
According to a team source, Swisher is scheduled to visit the Indians' facilities and listen to the organization's offer.
The Indians can offer Swisher the full-time role in right field as they recently traded outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to the Cincinnati Reds in a three-team, nine-player deal.
In that deal, the Indians have acquired outfielder Drew Stubbs to join Michael Brantley in the outfield. If Swisher decides to join, Cleveland's outfield picture will now be complete.
Aside from the Indians, the Seattle Mariners, Philadelphia Phillies, Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants and Baltimore Orioles are also interested in Swisher's services.
Last season, the switch-hitting Swisher hit .272 with 24 homers, 36 doubles and 93 RBIs in 148 games for the New York Yankees.
He also posted a .364 on-base percentage and a .473 slugging percentage. Swisher has hit at least 23 home runs in five straight seasons and he has collected at least 80 RBIs four years in a row.
Recently, several free-agent outfielders have received lucrative deals, including Josh Hamilton (Angels), B.J. Upton (Braves), Angel Pagan (Giants), Torii Hunter (Tigers), Melky Cabrera (Blue Jays) and Shane Victorino (Red Sox).
The Indians offered Victorino a four-year contract worth $44 million before he opted for a three-year, $39 million deal with Boston.
Last week, free-agent first baseman Mark Reynolds agreed to a one-year contract worth $6 million plus incentives to play for the Indians.
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved