Study Skills - Staying Motivated to Study
As it gets closer to summer, I feel less like studying. How can I keep myself motivated to study so I don’t trash my grades?
Staying motivated to study in the homestretch is never easy, especially when you’re feeling that much closer to sun, fun and relaxation. But if you crumble now, you will not be a happy camper when you get your grades back this summer. Here are some ideas to keep you chugging along:
Think of how much easier it is to maintain a high GPAthan it is to raise one that has dipped. As you take more classes, each new grade impacts your GPA a little bit less. So, especially if you’re a freshman or sophomore, build up a base of good grades -- and then when you’re really tired as a senior, the inevitable little bit of slipping won't mess you up as much.
Make deals with yourself
If you stay motivated to study for two-and-a-half hours or get such-and-such assignment completed, you can go out to dinner with your friends. Cut yourself some mini-deals too. For every 25 minutes you study, you get a “take-five” to Facebook-stalk or just chill.
It can also help to take your work outside when the weather’s nice
Grab your laptop and a book, and get some work done while allowing yourself some fresh air and sunshine. It's not beach volleyball, but it will still keep you motivated to study since it's better than sitting inside and not seeing the light of day.
Make sure you prioritize
If you’re determined to blow off an assignment or two (which I’m way too much of a geek to recommend). Won’t be tested on it? Doesn’t count for a huge percentage of your grade? (No wonder you’re not motivated to study!) Maybe you can just skim the reading or do that paper when you’re not as invested.
The reality of college is that you can’t be at your best all the time. It’s hard on purpose, and sometimes you just can't do everything.
Half the battle is knowing what you need to learn and giving yourself a break on the rest. If all else fails, remember that when you go home with not-so-stellar grades, it could be a looooooong summer with your parents. That should really keep you motivated to study!
- Study Skills - Staying Motivated to Study
- Nail That Job Interview
- Smooth Moves to Make Studying More Comfortable
- 10 Cool Gadget Gifts for Grads
- Dear Commencement Speaker: Inspire Me
- As College Decision Day Looms, Schools Say: Pick Me
- 11 Steps to Raise Last-Minute Cash for College
- 6 Steps to Reducing Your Student Loan Costs
- It's Not Too Late to Apply for Scholarships
- New Hope for Debtors Struggling With Student Loans
- School Competition Restores Hope
- A Lean Mean Stay-fit Exercise Routine
- Inside Scoop on Working in Study Groups
- Extreme Environmentalism
- So You Want to Transfer
- Protect Yourself From Crime on Campus
- A Word for the Rejects
- Business Schools' Great Ethics Debate
- Jobs With Great Return on Investment
- Colleges Go Green for Earth Day
- Maximizing an Online Education
- Student Loan Crunch May Be Easing
- Internships Near Necessity in Quest to Find Job in Today's Market
- You Can Work Your Way Through 11 Grad Degrees
- Turn Education Into New Job: Short-term Routes Lead to Career Growth
- Snag Your Dream Internship
- Getting Into Graduate School Made Tougher by Recession
- Five Minority School Districts In Running for Broad Prize
- How to Pick the Best College for You and Your Wallet
- 8 Big Mistakes Online Students Make
- Online Certificate Programs Offer Fast Track to New Career
- No Child Left Behind & Reform Killing Public Education
- Big Changes Coming to Student Loans
- Smart Ways to Live Cheaper on Campus
- YouTube the New Essay in College Applications
- Colleges Where Need for Aid Can Hurt Admission Odds
- High School Senior's Advice on Picking Right College
- 7 Steps to Find a Great Affordable College
- Do Colleges Prefer Rich Applicants
- How to Pick the 'Right' College
- Latin America Leads in School Laptops
- NCAA Men's Basketball Graduation Rate Disparity Between Races Grows
- NCAA March Madness & Diploma Sadness
- Organize Your Study Space
- Cleaner Greener College Living
- You're In! And Here's a Free T-Shirt
- Don't Know Much About History and Don't Wanna
- Why College Students Cheat
- Fraternities & Sororities: Going, Going ... Greek?
- Bad Habits That Destroy Your GPA
- How to Avoid Expensive Financial Aid Mistakes
- Alternative Spring Breaks Combine Service & Learning
- How to Relax and Ace Your College Midterms
- Making Majors out of Math Skills
- The Three-year College Degree
- Recession-safe Majors
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.