Permanent lighting makes Rome's Colosseum brilliant at night
Across town at the Colosseum, the ancient arena is being cleaned from top to bottom and given permanent lighting. In future years, this ambitious project may open up new areas, which were previously closed to visitors.
A renovation project is transforming Tiburtina,
This year, it's getting even easier to buy Ferragamo shoes (and anything else) on
In Florence, the streets around the Duomo have recently been pedestrianized.
The Dogana traghetto, or ferry gondola, is back, shuttling passengers across the mouth of the
I can no longer accurately describe the Tuscan hill town of Volterra as out-of-the-way and not trampled by tourist crowds. Thanks to the "Twilight" sequel "New Moon," hordes of fans are following in the footsteps and fang-marks of Edward and Bella in this city (even though most of the Italian scenes in the movie were actually shot farther south in Montepulciano).
Wherever you go in
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- What's New in Italy? Less Chaos and Smoother Visits
- 'Airline of the Year'? Maybe; Maybe Not
- Need an Airline Ticket? Meta-search is Where Most Travelers Start
- Top 10 Sexiest Buildings and Structures
- Taking the Kids and Learning a Snow Sport
- Winter Thrills in the Alps
- The Social Network Hits the Ski Slopes
- Avoiding Nasty Winter Travel Surprises
- Taking the Kids and Remembering Stellar Trips to Get Up Close to Nature
- Cruising in 2011
- Finding a Toilet in Europe
- World's Top 10 Wild Rides
- Top 10 Artist Homes and Studios
- Air New Zealand's 777-300LR - A Look at the Future?
- Who Had the Worst Customer Service in 2010?
- Heightened TSA Security Is Necessary to Keep Us Safe
- TSA Has Its Security Priorities in the Wrong Place
- In 2010, the DOT Heard Our SOS
- AmEx Platinum: Expensive but Some Good New Extras
- Taking the Kids and Checking Out the Holiday Lights
- Christmas Trees and Manger Scenes
- Taking the Kids and Giving the Elves a Hand for the Traveling Family
- Terranea Resort Brings Mediterranean Style and Elegance
- The World's Top 10 Greatest Ceilings
- Passengers Say They Miss Luggage-Inclusive Airfares the Most
- Driving Home for the Holidays? You'll Get There -- Eventually
- The New Travelex Chip Card -- OK, But Not Great
- Plunging Into North England's Lake District
- Milan: A Big Italian Surprise
- Taking the Kids and Visiting Museums
- Taking the Kids To Puerto Rico
- New Online Destination Planning Program Tops the List
- Top 10 Unusual Things to Do at the Airport
- World's Top 10 Eccentric Constructions
- Ten Great Animal Statues
- With a Little Help From the TSA, 2011 Could Be a Flat Year for Travel
- Are Customized Prices Next for the Travel Industry
- Can't Use Your Miles? Give Them Away!
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Taking the Kids to a Ranch in Winter
- Slovakia: Booming Bratislava
- How Safe is a Cruise?
- Disney Turns to Guests to Promote Theme Parks
- World's Top 10 Ugliest Buildings
- 10 Fascinating Place Symbols
- What's Behind All Those Airline Change Fees?
- Taking the Kids and De-Stressing the Holidays
- Taking the Kids and Grabbing a Pre-Holiday Break
- Verdun, France: A Lesson About War
- Airline 'Code-Shares' Not Really 'Seamless'
- Taking the Kids to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
- Taking the Kids to Kauai Hawaii
- Taking the Kids to Steamboat Springs Colorado
- Welsh Magic
- Cultural Voyeurism in Tangier
- European Restaurant Rules
- The Biggest Travel Gouge
- Online Travel Planning: For Real?
- Onboard Internet: Lots More Coming
- A La Carte Pricing: Coming to Cruises?
- Do They Hate Us?
- Are Travelers Overloaded By Social Media?
- Paying Up Front for Rental Car Nicks and Scratches
- Prague: Castle Scenes and Ice Cream Dreams
- Florence: The Cultural Capital of Europe
- Taking the Kids: Meeting Up with Some Ghosts and Goblins
- Taking the Kids: When Grown-ups Go Out to Play in the Fall
- Planning a Green Vacation
- How to Find Airline Seats for a Family Group
- Are Travelers Frill-Seekers? No, But Here's What They Really Want
- Tarmac-Delay Rules Give Travelers More Respect
- New Airline Tie-Ups: What Consumers Need to Know
- Southwest and AirTran Airlines: Six Things You Need to Know
- How to Fall Into a Real Travel Bargain This Year
- The Travel Industry Still Cares About You
- Save Your Money or Your Trip?
- Fall and Winter Travel Senior Discounts: Where the Deals Are
- Walking Tours Bring Europe's Cities to Life
- Taking the Kids to Oahu Beyond Waikiki
- Taking the Kids and Flying Safely with Young Children
- Travel Essential: Suitcase Guide
- Are Loyalty Programs Worth It?
- Big Exhibit? Avoid Lines and Hassle
- The Continental - United Merger: What's New
- Munich: Metropolis with Small-Town Charm
- Grown Ups Have as Much Fun Aboard Disney Magic as Kids
- Coping with Europe's 'Season of Strikes'
- 'Private Sale' Sites: Deals on Luxury Hotels and Cruises
- 7 Clauses to Beware of in Your Cruise Contract
- Glamour Camping
- Flying? Get on the Web
- Glamour Camping
- Spain: Parties and Processions in Andalucia
- London: Taming London in a Week
- Taking the Kids to Mesa Verde National Park
- Fall Vacation Travel: A Great Season
- Airfare Searches: Know the Right Places
- 'Tax Free' Airport Stores: Bargain or Hype?
- Organize a Tour and Travel for 'Free' But with Strings
- Oh No You Didn't! 5 Ways Travelers Have Lost Their Manners
- Travel Complaints That Fail: 5 Kinds of Emails You Should Never Write
- Air Travelers Let Your Voices Be Heard
- Car Rentals: You Missed the Scratch on the Roof
- Hey, What Happened to My Internet Connection?
- Taking the Kids RVing in Colorado
- Taking the Kids to Nantucket
- Praying and Partying in the Streets of Istanbul
- Revenge of the Hotel Clerks: Things They Do to Difficult Guests
- Sorry We Forgot About That $500 Change Fee
- Beware of Tour Operator 'Savings' Claims
- New Vacation Rental and Hotel Options
- Steven Slater Airline Meltdown Hardly a Surprise
Taking the Kids to Boston
Time Traveling Back in History in Boston
- Stockholm's Island Getaways
- Shorter Vacations? Tighter Budgets? Welcome to the New 'Normal' in Travel
- Do You Really Want to Take Your Pets Along?
- Travel Taxes: Bad, Getting Worse
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Rambling Through the Ruins of Europe's Castles
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- Eco-Friendly Camping is About Putting Nature First
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Fall Travel Bargains Will Abound and Here's Where to Find Them
- If It's Called Secure Flight, Why Do I Feel So Insecure?
- Using Opaque Travel Web Sites Effectively
- Eldergadget: Creative or Condescending?
- Communing with Nature in Austria's Hallstatt
- Barefoot in Venice Italy
- Lisbon: Portugal's Salty Capital
- Irish Soul Music
- Biking in Europe: A Bridge Over Cultural Barriers
- Verona Italy: City of Romance
- France: Basking in France's Dordogne River Valley
- Salzburg: An Austrian Symphony
- Taking the Kids Aboard the Newest Megaship Epic
- 6 Tips for Taking a Summer 'Daycation'
- Ticket? Check. Bag? Check. Insurance? Pre-check
- Warning: Tour Operators Can Still Fail
- Go Camping and Bring the Kids
- On-the-road Rx: Family Vacation Safety Tips
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- How Much Should We Tip These Days?
- Advance Baggage Shipment: Does it Make Any Sense
- Airline Passengers Get Chance to Be Heard on Proposed Regulations
- Best 'Value' Destination Cities
- One-Sided Cruise Contracts
- Salzburg Austria: Stage Of The World
- 10 Best Bargains in Salzburg
- Germany's Mix of Perfume Chocolate and God
- Krakow: Poland's Historic and Cultural Gem
- Europe this Summer: Mixed Bag of News
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
(c) 2010 RICK STEVES DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here