Watch the leaves turn this fall in Vermont
The dinner bell!
We troop to the lakefront where, after cocktails, we're served lobster, corn on the cob, strawberry shortcake and more. We look out at
The best part: I didn't have to shop, cook or do the dishes. I'm not worrying about whether the kids are happy -- or where they are at the moment, since they're far from here. Instead, we're spending time with old friends from
This is a small resort about an hour from
Whether you want to escape the baby overnight at a city hotel (Doubletree, www.doubletree.com, has special romance packages across the country), play golf (
"Prices are generally less expensive than the summer months," says
That's key, of course. You certainly don't want to be surrounded by other people's kids. Join forces with friends and split the costs.
Check out deals like the one at Tranquility Bay Antigua (www.tranquilitybayantigua.com), an all-suite beach resort complete with discounts on a two-bedroom suite, private chef for one night and a spa gift certificate. Come midweek and save even more (under
"We found a great four-night cruise deal on
Believe me, the kids will be the better for your getaway. Younger ones discover that they can survive -- happily -- without you for a few days. Older ones see that you have a life beyond their carpools, homework, games and crises-of-the-moment. And those new college freshmen will be flummoxed that your life really didn't end when they decamped.
For you empty nesters, the fun is just starting, now that you can get away at the last minute without worrying about school schedules or what your teens are up to while you're gone. Check out sites like www.lastminutetravel.com and www.jetsetter.com where membership entitles you to private sales that spell big savings.
Go jump in the leaves on a Wednesday.
Make getting there part of the adventure. Check out www.virginia.org/fall for romantic trips for two, with wineries, scenic drives, historic inns and picturesque small towns; in
The deals are everywhere. Consider the
"It's the closest '
Wherever you go, and especially if you are leaving kids at home, choose a destination easy to reach -- just in case of an emergency.
Explore a new city (according to www.hotwire.com, midsized ones like
Maybe a football weekend is more your speed. Book a flight and hotel together, suggests the experts at www.expedia.com and you can save some significant bucks for your tickets and tailgate parties.
Head to a ski town. You'll find good hotel deals, lots going on and plenty of places to hike, mountain bike and golf from
As for us, we savored every kid-less moment of our weekend at
I wouldn't have it any other way.
- Prague: Castle Scenes and Ice Cream Dreams
- Florence: The Cultural Capital of Europe
- Taking the Kids: Meeting Up with Some Ghosts and Goblins
- Taking the Kids: When Grown-ups Go Out to Play in the Fall
- Planning a Green Vacation
- How to Find Airline Seats for a Family Group
- Are Travelers Frill-Seekers? No, But Here's What They Really Want
- Tarmac-Delay Rules Give Travelers More Respect
- New Airline Tie-Ups: What Consumers Need to Know
- Southwest and AirTran Airlines: Six Things You Need to Know
- How to Fall Into a Real Travel Bargain This Year
- The Travel Industry Still Cares About You
- Save Your Money or Your Trip?
- Fall and Winter Travel Senior Discounts: Where the Deals Are
- Walking Tours Bring Europe's Cities to Life
- Taking the Kids to Oahu Beyond Waikiki
- Taking the Kids and Flying Safely with Young Children
- Travel Essential: Suitcase Guide
- Are Loyalty Programs Worth It?
- Big Exhibit? Avoid Lines and Hassle
- The Continental - United Merger: What's New
- Munich: Metropolis with Small-Town Charm
- Grown Ups Have as Much Fun Aboard Disney Magic as Kids
- Coping with Europe's 'Season of Strikes'
- 'Private Sale' Sites: Deals on Luxury Hotels and Cruises
- 7 Clauses to Beware of in Your Cruise Contract
- Glamour Camping
- Flying? Get on the Web
- Glamour Camping
- Spain: Parties and Processions in Andalucia
- London: Taming London in a Week
- Taking the Kids to Mesa Verde National Park
- Fall Vacation Travel: A Great Season
- Airfare Searches: Know the Right Places
- 'Tax Free' Airport Stores: Bargain or Hype?
- Organize a Tour and Travel for 'Free' But with Strings
- Oh No You Didn't! 5 Ways Travelers Have Lost Their Manners
- Travel Complaints That Fail: 5 Kinds of Emails You Should Never Write
- Air Travelers Let Your Voices Be Heard
- Car Rentals: You Missed the Scratch on the Roof
- Hey, What Happened to My Internet Connection?
- Taking the Kids RVing in Colorado
- Taking the Kids to Nantucket
- Praying and Partying in the Streets of Istanbul
- Revenge of the Hotel Clerks: Things They Do to Difficult Guests
- Sorry We Forgot About That $500 Change Fee
- Beware of Tour Operator 'Savings' Claims
- New Vacation Rental and Hotel Options
- Steven Slater Airline Meltdown Hardly a Surprise
- Taking the Kids to Boston Time Traveling Back in History in Boston
- Stockholm's Island Getaways
- Shorter Vacations? Tighter Budgets? Welcome to the New 'Normal' in Travel
- Do You Really Want to Take Your Pets Along?
- Travel Taxes: Bad, Getting Worse
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Naughty No More: New York's 42nd Street
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- Taking the Kids: Grandparents and Kids Take on the Big Apple with Elderhostel
- The World's Top Architecture Museums
- Taking the Kids: Seeing More Than the Typical Sites in New York City
- Rambling Through the Ruins of Europe's Castles
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- Eco-Friendly Camping is About Putting Nature First
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Fall Travel Bargains Will Abound and Here's Where to Find Them
- If It's Called Secure Flight, Why Do I Feel So Insecure?
- Using Opaque Travel Web Sites Effectively
- Eldergadget: Creative or Condescending?
It's vacation and the teens are awake and ready to roll before 8 a.m.! The 22-year-old White has come down to Grand Cayman, his parents and sister in tow, to inaugurate Skate Cayman an 11-week summer program
Taking the Kids Camping & the Great Outdoors
Just being in a tent is an adventure for young kids, says Nancy Ritger, an Appalachian Mountain Club naturalist who has camped with her three teens since they were bab
Whether you want to learn to dive with your tween or snorkel with your kindergartner, teach your grade-schooler to sail or fly on a trapeze, you'll find plenty of opportunities at Caribbean resorts -- at prices that are surprisingly affordable.
Kids on a Plane! 5 Fixes for Unruly Junior Passengers
Kids on a plane. No four words incite more acrimonious debate among air travelers. On one side, you have childless customers who just want a little civility while they're locked inside a pressurized aluminum tube. Talk about oil and water.
Children in First Class: 3 Suggestions for the Kids 'Up Front'
The overwhelming number of travelers I spoke with said kids should be able to fly in first class if their parents could afford to pay the freight. But they were quick to add that they expected the children to behave.
(c) 2009 EILEEN OGINTZ DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here