Europe: Rental Car Age Limits
Before you commit to a driving trip in
Young drivers. The minimum age to rent a car (or drive a rented car) is 18 in
Seniors. Travelers of any age over the minimum can rent cars in
In several countries, however, some suppliers impose maximum age limits to rentals, generally, or to rentals of some models of cars:
Rental agencies in
No matter what your age, individual rental agencies can refuse to rent to you if your driving record is bad or if you appear to be unable to drive safely.
As far as I can tell, age restrictions apply to renting, not driving. If you rent in a country without an age limit, you can drive into an adjacent country that does have a limit -- provided your rental contract allows such cross-border trips. Check to make sure.
International Driving Permit (IDP).
When you book online, it's easy to miss the fine print on age -- with
Obviously, it's critical that you make sure you're eligible to rent a car before you make final trip arrangements. Nothing could be worse than arriving at the rental counter, planning to start a driving tour, only to be told; "sorry, you can't rent."
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Four Secrets for Upgrading Your Next Vacation
- What's New in Eastern Europe in 2010
- Low Fare Airline to Europe? Sort Of
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- What's New in Scandinavia in 2010
- Taking the Kids to Bermuda
- Taking the Kids to Chile
- Too Sick to Fly? When to Put Yourself on the 'No Fly' List
- Lowest Airfare? You May Have to Connect
- How to Ensure Your Luggage Survives a Trip
- What Hotels Will Resort to For a Good Review
- Accidental Tourist? Tips for Maximizing Happy Coincidences and Avoiding Bad Ones
- Low Airfares That Vanish in a Click
- Air Travel Buying Extra Legroom
- Priceline Opens Up; Quikbook Goes Opaque
- Another Argument For Travel Insurance
- Travel Apps for Your Smart Phone
- 6 Ways to Save: Family Vacations
- My Hotel Lost a Star -- What Now?
- When Travelers Experience Discrimination
- Good Airline Fees? Some Are Worth the Money
- Clear Airfares Act Left Sitting on the Tarmac
- Rental Car 'Gotchas' That Can Cost You Real Money
- What's New in Germany and Switzerland for 2010
- What's New in Great Britain and Ireland in 2010
- Totally Kidcentric and Affordable Ski Resorts
(c) 2010 Ed Perkins
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here