'A Good Day to Die Hard'
1 1/2 stars
"A Good Day to Die Hard" isn't just the weakest of the "Die Hard" pictures; it's a lousy action movie on its own terms, even without comparing it to the adored 1988 franchise launch starring
Here, Willis barely gets a piece of his own noisy, zero-attention-span movie, and he suffers the usual indignity of any action hero north of age 55. Ten seconds of his first scene passes before someone calls him "Grandpa."
The first big car chase attempts to outrun equivalent scenes in both the "Mission: Impossible" and "Bourne" series, and folks, I am here to tell you: It's stupid. It's silly and overscaled enough to toss you straight out of the very movie you're supposed to be enjoying. From there, screenwriter
It's hard to keep a late-20th century franchise going, to be sure, but when you think of how good the recent
Fighting words! But Willis looks pretty bored here. McClane has become a dour place-holder edition of his formerly relatable self. I enjoyed one bit -- a slow-motion sight gag involving Willis's final kiss-off to an adversary, surrounded by flames -- but it takes a long time to get there. This movie barely tops 90 minutes minus the end credits, and everybody coming out of the screening the other night couldn't believe it wasn't a lot longer. A lot longer. It felt that way.
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
"A Good Day to Die Hard" Movie Trailer
MPAA rating: R (for violence and language).
Running time: 1:37.
Credits: Directed by
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'The Company You Keep'
- 'The Place Beyond the Pines'
- 'Evil Dead'
- 'Jurassic Park 3-D'
- 'The Host'
- 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation'
- 'Gimme the Loot'
- 'The Croods'
- 'Olympus Has Fallen'
- 'Spring Breakers'
- 'On the Road'
- 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone'
- 'The Call'
- 'Beyond the Hills'
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
Copyright © 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.