A massive asteroid has safely passed Earth in the closest known flyby ever for a rock that large.
The U.S. space agency, NASA, said the more than 45-meter asteroid passed within 28,000 kilometers of the planet on Friday - closer than some satellites.
The asteroid passed Earth just hours after a much smaller meteor exploded in the sky above Russia's Ural Mountains.
NASA scientists warned last week about the asteroid, but said there was no chance the space rock would hit Earth.
The speeding asteroid was too small to be seen with the naked eye as it passed overhead. But astronomers in Australia were able to watch the point of light speed across the sky through binoculars and telescopes.
The asteroid was expected to move eight times as fast as a rifle bullet.
NASA says this is one of the largest asteroids ever to fly by Earth, but other, much larger space rocks crashed into Earth's surface millions of years ago, causing calamitous damage.
The last asteroid to cause serious destruction on the ground exploded over a Siberian forest in 1908.
Asteroid 2012 DA14 Safely Passes Earth
- Elimination of Poverty Possible
- New Century is Off to a Wobbly Start
- Pope Francis Ties with Jews, Muslims Could Strengthen Vatican
- Pope Francis Staunch in Conservatism and in Defense of the Poor
- Bin Laden's Influence Lives on After Him
- Dam Construction Raising Regional Tensions
- Haiti's Man-Made Hell
- The World's Struggle to Kick the Habit
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Military Interventions Rarely Fulfill Their Goals
- Why Do Societies Give Up?
- War is Like Rust
- War's Lingering Phantoms
- Lasting Peace
- Controlling Lucifer
- United States to Join Global Race for Talent -- Big Time
- Asteroid Safely Passes Earth
- Meteor Causes Panic in Russia
- Pope Benedict Becomes First Pope to Resign in over 600 years
- Pope Benedict to Step Down
- World, Religious Leaders React to Pope Resignation
- Two Africans Among Candidates for Next Pope
- German-Born Pope Brought Conservative Views to Vatican
- Asteroid to Pass Very Near Earth
- Earth-Like Planets Closer Than Expected
- When Soft Power Fails
- Hogging the Global Pie
- Avoiding the Wars That Never End
- I Am Because You Are
- The Death of Depth
- Lance Armstrong Admits Using Banned Substances in Run to Seven Tour Titles
- Lance Armstrong Admits to Doping in Oprah Interview
- The Geopolitics of Shale
- Intelligence and Human Networks
- The Really Important News of 2012
- Falling Birth Rates Portend A Very Different World
- What Hemingway Can Teach Us About New Year's Predictions
- Sacred Space
- Financial Nerve Centres at Risk of Flooding
- The Growth That Never Was
- A Gospel of Wealth
- Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super Rich
- The Cyber Menace
- Cyber Threats: Establishing the First Line of Defense
- Arming The Information Highway Patrol
- Keeping the Global Ship on Course
- Global Governance at Heart of Failed Foreign Policies
- Global Terrorism: Piles of Skulls
- When Terrorists 'Killed' in Drone Strikes Aren't Really Dead
- Stripping Down to 140 Characters
- Revolution through iDemocracy
- What Tyrants Fear Most: Social Media
VOA News. "Asteroid 2012 DA14 Safely Passes Earth "