Baseball -- or, rather, the linguistically more appropriate beisbol -- is the new grape.
Back in the day, the national grape boycott led by the
Today another high-profile boycott is in offing, this one targeting
I love America. Our quintessential red, white and blue sport has the leverage to speak up for this generation's immigrants. Major league baseball exemplifies what America does best -- attracting the talents and aspirations of the world. Foreign-born players made up nearly 28 percent of the Major Leagues' starting rosters this season. That's more than 230 players representing 14 countries and
The major league players join a host of other worthy opponents of the law.
But it's the threat of baseball going bye-bye that got Gov.
Perceptively, Brewer chose
Basically, she pleaded desperation. So fed up with the federal government's incompetence at keeping illegal immigrants from crossing through the state,
Come on. Are we supposed to believe that Sheriff
However, Brewer's tone of alarm is somewhat at odds with the fact that violent crime rates in
In a way, a country is defined by how it handles its most difficult, seemingly intractable social problems. Passing a bad law, pregnant with the possibility of all sorts of unintended consequences, and passing it as a way to get the federal government to act to your satisfaction, is not the right path. How does that make Brewer a responsible leader?
There is no room in that process for grandstanding or playing to the fears or prejudices of the electorate. It will be an educational process, and it will take more than nine innings.
Available at Amazon.com:
Read the latest political news.
- Living with Risk is the Cost of Freedom
- Naysaying Anti-Terrorism Success
- Hullabaloo in Times Square
- Sounds of Insecurity
- Life in the Age of 'Much Worse Than We Thought It Would Be'
- Shared Goals for Pakistan's Militants
- Limiting American Citizenship Not the Answer
- Arizona Immigration Law Controversy Only in Early Innings
- Is Arizona Law Still Wrong if It Works?
- Questioning the Wisdom of American Restraint
- The Future of American Security Assistance
- Bigger Is Better: Case for Transatlantic Economic Union
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- Congress Had a Role in the Financial Crisis
- Blame Those Dogged Liberals
- BP Oil Spill Calamity: Having to Play Defense
- Drill, Baby, Drill? Make BP Pay
- Gulf Spill Can Kill Our Tourist Season
- Guns vs. Butter 2010
- Obama Edge on Financial Reform
- Resisting Wall Street Reform
- Time to Break up the Big Banks
- What Obama Can Learn From Bush
- Voter Anger Could Doom Democrats in Fall Elections
- Capitalism vs. Capitalists
- Prayer and State
- West Virginia Mining Disaster and Financial Crisis Have Same Root Cause
- Congressional Pig Book: Pigs at the Trough
- Fear Factor: Swine Flu, Nuclear Weapons, Reacting to Doom
Arizona Immigration Law Controversy Only in Early Innings | United States
(c) 2010 Mary Sanchez