The Grand Canyon is an icon of the American landscape and receives about five million visitors a year, according to the National Park Service.
Still, the canyon's remote location in the southwestern state of Arizona, make it hard for many to make the trip. Now, thanks to Google Maps, anyone with an internet connection can take a virtual hike through the rugged terrain.
According to the Google Maps blog, the images cover 75 miles of trails through what is considered one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
The Google team members strapped 40-pound, 15-lens cameras called Trekkers to their backs to capture the more than 9,500 images, according to the blog.
Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
- Web Companies Need to Step Up on Protecting Kids Privacy
- We Humans Headed Toward Obsolescence
- Chinese Telecom Giants Deny Allegations Huawei, ZTE Pose Security Threats
- Google to be Top Ad Revenue Earner by End of this Year
- Microsoft to Use Google's Mistake to Boost Market Push for Bing
- Microsoft to Chinese companies: Stop Using Pirated Copies of Office
- Germany's IT Watchdog Warns Users Against Internet Explorer
- eBay Unveils New Design, Launches Same Day Delivery Service
- 6 Apps for a Good Night's Sleep
- Best iPhone Apps for Moms
- 4 Physical Therapy Apps That Speed Healing
VOA News, "Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon"