New York, NY
With news of a new Galaxy smartphone coming, Samsung definitely has grabbed the momentum from rival Apple. Apple currently doesn't have anything lined up for these upcoming months to help shift the momentum back to its favor.
Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes believes the key for Apple is to develop a low or mid-tier smartphone that can compete with Samsung's line of smartphones.
"Samsung is on its way toward successful launches of mid-tier smartphones (i.e. Galaxy S3 mini and Galaxy Grand) - an area in which we believe Apple needs to be by the end of the summer to remain competitive. To say that the Samsung momentum is an issue for Apple is an understatement," Reitzes said.
Apple chief executive officer Tim Cook admitted in a press conference last week that Apple indeed has to catch up to the competition. As Cook recognizes this, the Cupertino-based company has to roll out iPhone deals with China mobile and NTT Docomo.
"We believe Apple needs to up its game in web services and platform integration to compete with Android and Samsung. We are hoping to see the seeds of this innovation when the company previews iOS 7 as early as March in an iPad launch event," Reitzes added.
Apple has to hammer out deals with telecommunication companies in markets such as China and India to reach lower and mid-tier consumers.
- Cloud Computing: Cost, Efficiency and Security
- The Internet Racket
- The Cell Phone Turns 40
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
(c) 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved, "Apple lot of catching up to do, says analyst"