Premier League: Chelsea Falls to Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
Chelsea's bid to qualify for next year's UEFA champions League came to an end after absorbing a 4-1 loss to Liverpool in their Tuesday's English Premier League Match at Anfield.
After pulling off a 2-1 victory against Liverpool in Saturday's FA Cup Finals, Chelsea was flat against the Reds and was perhaps more focused on its upcoming UEFA Champions League clash with Bayern Munich on May 19.
Liverpool scored the first goal of the game on a blunder by midfielder Michael Essien in the 19th minute. The home team continued its offensive attack, allowing Jordan Henderson and Daniel Agger to score in a span of three minutes.
With a commanding 3-0 advantage, Liverpool started to be a little sloppy on the defensive end while Chelsea began to find opportunities early in the second half.
Ramires, who recently became the first Brazilian to score in an FA Cup Finals, once again delivered the goods for Chelsea by coming through with a wonderful goal five minutes into the second half.
The Reds sealed the win, however, courtesy of a goal from Jonjo Shelvey in the 61st minute.
Liverpool improved its regular-season record to 14-10-13 (52 pts) and dealt payback on Chelsea (17-10-10, 61 pts), already out of contention for the top four finish in the English Premier League.
Meanwhile, American businessman Bill Miller backed out from his bid to purchase the Rangers after learning the ball club's unstable financial status and its fans uproar against potential foreign ownership.
"By late Monday night, it became clear to me that preliminary information, discussions and analysis were, unfortunately, more optimistic than reality," Miller told ESPN Tuesday. "Having no intention of negatively affecting the potential outcome of the club's future and after hearing the message from Rangers supporters and fans loud and clear, I notified the administrators today that I have withdrawn my bid for Rangers and will not be moving forward."
- Premier League: Chelsea Falls to Liverpool
- Drogba and Cech Lift Chelsea Past Liverpool for FA Cup Crown
- Barcelona's Messi Sets European Season Goal Record
- Dalglish Optimistic of Liverpool's Chance in FA Cup Final
- More EU Nations Threaten Boycott of Euro 2012 Over Tymoshenko
- Manchester City Blanks Manchester United, 1-0
- Torres Hat-trick Steers Chelsea Past QPR
- UEFA Champions League: Bayern Munich Edges Real Madrid in Shootout
- UEFA Champions League: Chelsea Knocks Barcelona Out in Semifinals
- Landon Donovan Continues Offensive Resurgence for Galaxy
- Man City Rips Wanderers; Man U-Everton Draw
- Arsenal Nets Costly Scoreless Draw with Chelsea
- Barcelona Up Against It in Champions League and La Liga
- UEFA Champions League: Chelsea Tops Belfica; Real Madrid Pummels Apoel
- David Beckham's Olympic Dream Still Alive
- Manchester City Revives Premier League Title Hopes
- Chelsea Holds Off Aston Villa Behind Ivanovic, Torres
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- Athletic Bilbao Boots Out Manchester United
- Everton and Sunderland Battle to Draw in FA Cup Match
- Lionel Messi Makes Champions League History
- Manchester City Stays on Top of Premier League
- Reyna and Meola Elected to National Soccer HOF
- Liverpool and Stoke move on in FA Cup
- Rooney Scores Twice as Man U Edges Liverpool
- England Soccer Coach Fabio Capello Quits
- Fans of Rival Soccer Teams Clash in Egypt, 73 Killed
- Obertan Scores in Stoppage Time, Newcastle downs Blackburn
- Hernandez, Berbatov's Goals Steer Man United Past Stoke City
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved