Athletic Bilbao Boots Out Manchester United
San Mames, Spain
Fernando Llorente nailed a goal in the early going and Oscar de Marcos knocked in the eventual game-winner in the second half as Athletic Bilbao booted out Manchester United, 2-1 (5-3 on aggregate), in Sunday's Europa League showdown.
Athletic Bilbao advanced to the quarterfinals of the Europa League after beating the Red Devils on their home turf.
Llorente gave Athletic Bilbao the first lead of the match with a goal in the 22nmd minute and Oscar cashed in another in the 64th mark to essentially seal the victory for the Spanish squad.
Wayne Rooney scored his 27th goal of the season but his effort was not enough to power Manchester United to the quarterfinals of the Europa League.
Meanwhile, Manchester City also failed to secure a seat in the final eight after conceding two goals from Portuguese club Sporting CP on their home field.
After taking a 1-0 win in the first leg, Sporting CP enjoyed a fast start as Matías Fernández and Ricky van Wolfswinkel each scored a goal in the first half.
Manchester City responded with a furious offensive onslaught in the second half with Sergio Agüero scoring in the 60th and 81st minute and Mario Balotelli chipping in with another in the 74th mark to take a 3-2 lead.
However, the home team just came up short at recording the fourth and most important goal as Sporting CP barely nailed a quarterfinals ticket behind two away goals in a 3-3 aggregate contest.
Schalke 04 also progressed to the Europa League quarterfinals with a convincing 4-1 win (4-2 aggregate) over Twente Enschede. Also advancing to the final eight are Hannover 96, Valencia, and Athletic Madrid after beating their respective opponents Sunday.
- Athletic Bilbao Boots Out Manchester United
- Everton and Sunderland Battle to Draw in FA Cup Match
- Lionel Messi Makes Champions League History
- Manchester City Stays on Top of Premier League
- Reyna and Meola Elected to National Soccer HOF
- Liverpool and Stoke move on in FA Cup
- Rooney Scores Twice as Man U Edges Liverpool
- England Soccer Coach Fabio Capello Quits
- Fans of Rival Soccer Teams Clash in Egypt, 73 Killed
- Obertan Scores in Stoppage Time, Newcastle downs Blackburn
- Hernandez, Berbatov's Goals Steer Man United Past Stoke City
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved