Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Home Decor
This living room has the right feel for summer. Pale, painted chairs with light-colored accessories and pale walls makes the room look and feel right for warm weather
After the long months of winter, it's nice to lighten up around the house and bring the freshness of summer indoors. Adding summer accents can ease the heaviness of the winter's dark colors, heavy fabrics and cocooning feel. Summer is the time to refresh your decor and make the house lighter and brighter with pops of vibrant color and summery touches. Try these ideas to give your home a cooling summer lift.
Open up by replacing drapes.
Take heavy drapes off the windows and hang yards of light sheers to make the room feel lighter and brighter. Or replace dark curtains with simple light-colored panels to preserve privacy and maximize light.
Lighten up the fireplace.
Take fireplace screens down and put the fireplace tools away. Give it a summertime touch by adding a lush real or silk plant to fill up the fireplace. Or create an arrangement of coordinating vases in the firebox. Top the mantle with a collection of single-stem vases and flowers for a quick and easy change.
Brighten the porch with color.
For summery street appeal, add a cozy wicker chair to make a welcoming spot on the front porch. Pop in bright, colorful cushions for a touch of summer color. Or hang an old-fashioned porch swing and top with cushions in fun, punchy shades.
Spray paint your way to a brighter house.
Painted furniture is popular and looks fresh -- especially for summer. Visiting garage sales or flea markets for furniture bargains? Spray paint is the way to turn inexpensive finds into new furnishings that look oh-so-now.
Change linens for a cool night's sleep.
With summer comes the need for sheets that are crisp and cool on hot sultry nights. Pack away sateen and jersey sheets that cling to skin, making summer sleep hot and restless. Instead, make the bed with sheets with body, such as percale, that allow plenty of air circulation. Top with lightweight bedspreads in soft colors to create an inviting bed that won't weigh down sleep on humid nights.
Fresh towels brighten the bathroom.
Give the bathroom a summertime lift by replacing jewel-toned towels with towels in bright white or colorful summer colors. Bathing will feel cooler and more refreshing when followed with fluffy lemon yellow or bright blue towels. Try the new fast-drying towels or a bamboo blend for quick dry appeal or an extra dose of softness.
Got shells? Nothing says summer like seashells.
They bring a day at the beach into the house. Display large shells as accents or hang up shell prints to bring a beachy touch to your decor. Collected shells can go into a bowl or tray with beach glass and interesting rocks that wash up on the shore. When paired with nautical accessories, white canvas slipcovers transform a living room into a
- Summertime Swaps: Quick Changes to Lighten Up Your Home Decor
- Hydrangeas Offer Impressive Palette to Gardener
- Best Tools and Materials Are Key to Good Paint Job
- Hot New Trend Is Cool Asian Design
- Growing Potatoes in the Garden Easier than You Think
- Banish Tar: Get a Greener Driveway
- Asphalt vs. Concrete Driveways
- Staining a Deck
- Modern Homesteading: How to Live Better on Less
- Better Sleep Begins with Good Bedroom Design
- Kitchen Hoods Take Center Stage
- Kitchen Cabinets that Conceal Appliances
- 15 Fresh Ways to Use Wallpaper
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills
- Antidote for a Dull Planter: Chocolaty Goodness
- 10 Ways to Reuse and Save
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- What to Do With Spring Cleaning Purges
- A Beeswax Balm You Can Make Yourself
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Exterior Lighting Makes Home More Appealing and Safer
- No Room for a Vegetable Garden? Think Again
- Food Scraps That Help Your Garden Thrive
- Designing a Nursery Around Color
- Birch Beautiful on the Table As Well As in Nature
- 5 Money-saving Gardening Tips
- Straighten Up in an Instant
- Deck Patio Rooftop Garden Ideas
- Growing a Family Garden
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- 5 Cheap and Easy Decorating Ideas
- Concrete Ideas on Turning Construction Leftovers into Garden Fixtures
- Attractive and Durable DIY Garden Vine Trellis
- How to Green Your Baby's Nursery
- 6 Simple Home Repair Jobs You Can Do Yourself
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Better Spring Cleaning with Less Effort & More Fun
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Don't Just Let that Rainwater Go Down the Drain
(c) 2010 Living Space by Kathryn Weber