Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
You’re not alone. The controversy comes from the fact that eggs contain very high levels of dietary cholesterol (over 200 milligrams per egg). Current dietary guidelines state you shouldn’t eat more than 300 milligrams daily -- yet eating just one egg leaves you close to the daily limit, while two launch you over.
The good news is we now understand that dietary cholesterol (the kind you get from food) doesn’t raise blood cholesterol the way we once thought it does.
While there aren’t any official guidelines for how many eggs you can eat, consuming one or two a couple of times per week is generally okay -- as long as the rest of your diet is sensible. However, if you have high cholesterol, diabetes or heart disease, you should ask your doctor about eating eggs, since you may be affected by dietary cholesterol.
The bottom line: Eggs pack a powerful nutrition punch.
One large egg only contains about 70 calories. (Smaller varieties contain even fewer calories.) Eggs are also a good source of protein, zinc and vitamins A, B and D. They’re loaded with luteins and zeaxanthins, which help prevent macular degeneration -- a serious age-related eye disorder that causes blindness. Plus, a breakfast that includes eggs keeps you feeling full longer. So for most people, eating eggs is OK.
Andrea Giancoli has a master's in public health and is a registered dietitian in Hermosa Beach, Calif. She is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Eat Less, Live Longer? Calorie Restriction May Boost Longevity
- How Much Protein Should I Eat?
- Are Eggs Good or Bad for You?
- Good Nutrition Vital to Maintain Healthy Immune System
- Guide to Weight Loss Success
- Eating-right Resolutions for Busy People
- Dieting Do's and Don'ts
- Secrets From the World's Healthiest Countries
- Your Cold-fighting Grocery List
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- Living-Donor Transplants Are Becoming More Common
- 7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues Today
- The Dangers of Type D Personality
- Become an Imperfectionist
- 5 Daily Habits for a Healthier You
- Are Germ-killing Products Harming Your Health?
- Get a Step Ahead of Flu Season
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes You Can Make Right Now
- Good Health Is A Sound Investment
- Mushrooms Have Medicinal As Well As Culinary Value
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Power Up with Hidden 'Superfoods'
- Strong Relationships Are Good For Your Health
- For Help With Medical Bills Cut a Deal With the Doctor
- Are You Overdosing on Dairy?
- How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy at Any Age
- How the Dentist Helps Your Heart
- Why Stress Can Be Good for You
- The Obesity - Cancer Connection
- The Far Reach of Fast Food
- Skip the Eggnog: These Holiday Foods Are Good For You
- Looking for the Mark of the Mediterranean Diet
- 12 Steps to Healthy Holidays
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- Enjoy the Holidays Without Piling on the Pounds
- The Benefits of Indulgence
- The Best Way to Kill Germs
- Best Cold-buster Strategies
- Gift Giving Made Healthy
- Managing Dental Phobia
- Is the Bedbug Threat Real?
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Junk Food Addiction Is All Too Real
- Cranberries: Our Holiday Season's Sparkling Gem
- Foods that Fuel the Immune System
- Powerful Nutrition for Strong Bones
- Bone Up On Bone Health
- Music Only Path to Movement for Some People With Motor Disorders
- Counterfeit Medicines: Health and Harm
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Charged Alcoholic Drinks
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- How to Properly Eat Your Veggies
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Top 10 Surprising Facts About Smiling
- Bad Habits That Are Good for You
- How to Decipher Product Labels
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- New Findings Turning Coffee Into A 'Health Food'
- Food Allergies: When Food Bites Back
- Healthy Hot Drinks Avoid Caffeine and Sugar
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Best Health Advice I Ever Got
- The Serious Hazards of Soda
- How to Turn Setbacks into Bounce-backs
- Stay Healthy When Everyone Else Is Sick
- How Personality Affects Your Health
- A Sensitive Issue: Salt Restriction
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Restaurant Inspection?
- Should I Stop Taking B12 Supplements?
- Tap Water Toxins: Fact or Fiction?
- Love Your Liver: Natural Liver Support
- Healthy Eating Guide to Cereal
- Load Up On Vitamin C
- Vitamins That Keep Your Brain Young
- 5 Superfoods You're Not Eating
- Boost Dental Health with Honey and Agave Syrup
- Oral Health Sweet Shocker
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.