The Memphis Grizzlies did not have to look far to find a replacement for Lionel Hollins, by promoting assistant coach Dave Joerger to head coach.
Joerger spent six seasons on the Grizzlies bench as assistant to Hollins, who parted ways with the team after he wasn't offered a new contract.
Hollins compiled a 196-155 record after taking over for Marc Iavaroni midway through the 2008-09 season.
The 39-year-old Joerger emerged as a favorite for the position after Grizzlies management granted Hollins permission to seek other coaching opportunities.
Before hiring Joerger, the Grizzlies formally interviewed former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry and Chicago Bulls assistant Ed Pinckney for the post. The team also expressed interest in former Denver Nuggets head coach George Karl.
Before joining Memphis, Joerger coached in the International Basketball Association, the Continental Basketball Association and the D-League, where he won five titles in seven seasons as a head coach.
After winning 56 games in the regular season, the Grizzlies defeated the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of the playoffs and the top-seeded Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference semifinals.
However, the Grizzlies were swept by the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference finals.
The Grizzlies did not offer a contract to Hollins despite leading them to their best season in franchise history.
This after Hollins openly voiced his reservations when the Grizzlies' management group, under new owner Robert Pera, traded Rudy Gay to Toronto.
- Rockets Land Free-Agent Center Dwight Howard
- Warriors Obtain Andre Iguodala after Losing out on Dwight Howard
- Spurs Sign Marco Belinelli, Set to Lose Gary Neal to Free Agency
- Kings Trade Tyreke Evans to Pelicans in Three-Team Deal
- Standout Sixth-man J.R. Smith to Stay with Knicks
- Al Jefferson Agrees to Three-Year deal with Bobcats
- Butler's Brad Stevens Debuts in NBA as Celtics Head Coach
- Eric Bledsoe goes to Suns, J.J. Redick to Clippers in 3-team trade
- Raptors Forward Andrea Bargnani Headed to Knicks
- Raptors Express Interest in Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe
- Bernie Bickerstaff joins Cavs as assistant coach
- Heat's Ray Allen exercises $3.2-M player option
- Nets Acquire Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from Celtics in Blockbuster
- Cavs Take Canadian Anthony Bennett with Top NBA 2013 Draft Pick
- NBA Champion Heat to bring back Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller
- Doc Rivers Gets Fresh Start as Clippers Coach
- Jazz Owner Shares Notes on Jerry Sloan - Deron Wlliams Dispute
- Nuggets Give Brian Shaw his First NBA Head Coaching Gig
- Grizzlies Promote Assistant Dave Joerger as Head Coach
- Heat celebrate second straight NBA title with parade
- Clippers Finally Lure coach Doc Rivers from Celtics
- Heat 2-1 Favorites to Three-Peat Next Season
- Kobe Bryant persuading Dwight Howard to stay with Lakers
- LeBron James leads Heat to second straight NBA title
- LeBron James, Ray Allen star as Heat force Game 7
- Kobe Bryant Hopes to Surpass Michael Jordan's Six NBA Championships
- Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili shine as Spurs take Game 5
- Nuggets Name Tim Connelly New General Manager
- Trade Doctoring: Clips Keep Eric Bledsoe Out of Deal with Celtics
- Spurs Veteran Manu Ginobili Ponders Retirement
- Nets Hire Jason Kidd over Brian Shaw as Coach
- Danny Green, Gary Neal Star as Spurs take Game 3
- Pistons Hire Maurice Cheeks as Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Memorabilia Issue Ironed Out
- Dennis Rodman Paints Unflattering Portrait of LeBron
- Drop the Act: NBA to Increase Flopping Fines