Tony Parker scores 23 as Spurs Sweep Listless Lakers
2013 NBA Playoffs
Los Angeles, CA
Tony Parker and Gary Neal combined for 16 points to spark a second-period breakaway as the San Antonio Spurs swept the Los Angeles Lakers via a 103-82 wire-to-wire victory in their Western Conference first-round series Sunday at Staples Center.
Parker finished with 23 points on 9-for-16 shooting while Neal added 11 points for the Spurs, who will take on the winner of the Denver Nuggets-Golden State Warriors showdown in the Western Conference semifinal.
Kawhi Leonard and DeJuan Blair added 13 points apiece, Tim Duncan had 11 points and six rebounds in 29 minutes while Manu Ginobili added eight for the Spurs.
Pau Gasol scored 16 points, grabbed eight rebounds, and dished out five assists, Andrew Goudelock had 14, Antawn Jamison scored 12 and Chris Duhon tallied 11 for the Lakers, who suffered their first opening-round elimination since 2007.
The Lakers, who were swept out of the playoffs for the second time in last three seasons, played without Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Metta World Peace, Steve Blake and Jodie Meeks due to various injuries.
Dwight Howard was ejected early in the third period for picking up his second technical foul. He finished with seven points, eight rebounds and five of the Lakers' 22 turnovers in what could be his last game for the Lakers as he will turn free agent this summer.
The Lakers fared better from the field, 47.4 percent compared to the Spurs' 46.4 but San Antonio played an almost-flawless game, committing just eight turnovers, and converted Los Angeles' errors to 24 points.
From a close 26-20 lead in the first quarter, the Spurs stormed to a 14-point lead after eight unanswered points by Neal, including two triples. Parker then scored the Spurs' last five points to grab a 52-34 lead at the break.
In the third, a jumper by Parker extended the Spurs' lead to 21 and the Lakers never threatened from there.
The Lakers 2013 season came to an end on Sunday when the San Antonio Spurs swept Los Angeles in the first round of playoffs
Lakers 2013 NBA Season Comes To An End
- Spurs Topple Warriors, Advance to NBA West Finals
- Carmelo Anthony Shines with 28 points as Knicks Stay Alive
- Dirk Nowitzki Willing to Take Pay Cut to Give Mavs Salary-Cap Room
- Staying in Sacramento: NBA Owners Reject Kings Move to Seattle
- Defense and Rebounding Lift Pacers to 3-1 Series Lead Over Knicks
- Heat Bump Off Bulls, Advance to East Finals
- NBA Fines Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau for Postgame Comments
- Warriors Outplay Spurs in Overtime, Knot Series at 2-2
- Hibbert, Pacers Show Best Form in Beating Knicks
- Marc Gasol, Mike Conley Star as Grizzlies Take 2-1 Lead
- Seattle Pursues Kings with Increased $625M Bid
- Bosh-fueled Heat Hold On to Take 2-1 Series Lead on Bulls
- Tony Parker shines as Spurs take 2-1 lead over Warriors
- Bulls Joakim Noah Tells Reporter Getting 'Finger' Not Fun
- Amar'e Stoudemire to Beef up Knicks Frontline vs Pacers in Game 3
- Kobe Bryant Fights Mom over Memorabilia
- Lakers Forward Pau Gasol to Undergo Regeneration for Knees
- Ray Allen Scores 21 as Heat Tie Series with Bulls
- George Karl Wins NBA Coach of the Year
- Mike Conley's Heroics Push Grizzlies Past Thunder
- Suns Hire Celtics' Ryan McDonough as General Manager
- Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro on Shaky Ground after First-Round Exit
- Pacers Outmuscle Knicks to take Game 1
- Carlesimo Firing Nothing to Do with Nets Playoff Failure
- Joakim Noah Stars as Bulls Oust Nets in Game 7
- Kevin Durant Scores 27 as Thunder Oust Rockets in Six Games
- Zach Randolph Stars as Grizzlies Finish Off Clippers in Six
- LeBron James Earns Fourth MVP Trophy
- Phil Jackson to Advise Pistons During Coaching Search
- Warriors Survive Nuggets Late Rally to Advance
- James Harden Leads Rockets in Cutting Thunder Series Lead to 3-2
- Jeff Green Scores 18 as Celtics Close in on Knicks
- Blazers Damian Lillard Unanimously Selected Rookie of the Year
- Grizzlies Push Clippers to Brink of Elimination
- Andre Iguodala Stars as Nuggets down Warriors in Game 5
- Chandler Parsons Stars as Rockets Avoid Sweep by Thunder
- NBA Relocation Committee Rejects Kings Move to Seattle
- Andray Blatche Sizzles in 4th Quarter as Nets Prevail
- NBA Veteran Jason Collins Comes Out As Gay
- Spurs Coach on Sweep of Lakers: 'It wasn't a fair fight'
- Tony Parker scores 23 as Spurs Sweep Listless Lakers
- Heat Complete Four-Game Double Digit Sweep of Bucks
- Bulls Outlast Nets in Triple OT for 3-1 Series Lead
- Spurs Hand Lakers Worst-Ever Home Playoff Loss
- Raptors Eyeing Phil Jackson as Head of Basketball Operations
- Grizzlies Dominate Clippers in the Paint to Take Game 3
- Ray Allen Sizzles as Heat Scorch Bucks for 3-0 Lead
- Marc Gasol Named 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
- Cavs Like Mike: Brown Returns for Second Stint
- Bobcats Fire Mike Dunlap After 21-61 Season
- Knicks' J.R. Smith Wins NBA's Sixth Man Honor
- Chris Paul Jumper Carries Clippers to 2-0 Series Lead
- Heat President Pat Riley Says Its Doable to Keep Big 3 Intact
- Balanced Scoring Helps Thunder Defeat Rockets
- Dennis Rodman Projects Himself as FBI Informant, Global Peacemaker
- Duncan's Double-Double Helps Spurs top Lakers in Series Opener
- Paul George Triple-Double Lifts Pacers over Hawks
- Eric Bledsoe Lifts Clippers Past Grizzlies
- Carmelo Anthony Scores 36 as Knicks Defeat Celtics
- Kings Ransom? Seattle Group Fears Stern is Siding with Sacramento
- Stoudemire Likely Out for Knicks Opening Playoff Round vs Celtics
- Pistons Fire Lawrence Frank after 29-win Season
- Mike D'Antoni to Remain Lakers Head Coach