Balanced Scoring Helps Thunder Defeat Rockets
2013 NBA Playoffs
Oklahoma City, OK
The Oklahoma City Thunder banked on their balanced scoring to rout the Houston Rockets, 120-91, in Game 1 of their Western Conference first-round showdown at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Kevin Durant scored 24 points, six rebounds and four assists while Russell Westbrook came close to a triple-double with 19 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds for the top seed Thunder.
Serge Ibaka had 17 points and three blocks, Kevin Martin tallied 16, Thabo Sefolosha, Derek Fisher and Reggie Jackson had nine points apiece while Nick Collison had eight for the Thunder.
Former Thunder James Harden paced the Rockets with 20 points on 6-for-19 shooting while Patrick Beverley and Carlos Delfino added 11 and 10 points off the bench, respectively.
Jeremy Lin had a tough night, scoring just four points on 1-of-7 shooting while the Rockets shot 36.3-percent overall and went just 8-of-36 from three-point land.
The Thunder made 44 of 83 attempts from the field for a 53-percent clip and dominated the Rockets in every aspect of the game.
Oklahoma City outrebounded (46-39) and out-assisted (28-17) Houston while playing good defense with nine blocks and nine steals.
The Thunder took an early 13-2 lead from six fastbreak points as the Rockets missed their first nine attempts until Harden made a layup with 5:46 left in the first period.
The Thunder suddenly went cold, making made just four baskets the rest of the opening period that allowed the Rockets to trim the gap to seven entering the second canto.
The Rockets continued their surge in the second period, tying the Thunder at 38 after a triple by Beverley.
However, the Thunder regained their shooting touch, outscoring the Rockets, 22-9, for a 60-47 halftime lead.
In the third, the Rockets missed nine straight shot, allowing the Thunder to take an 89-65 lead heading into the final period.
Balanced Scoring Helps Thunder Defeat Rockets
- Spurs Topple Warriors, Advance to NBA West Finals
- Carmelo Anthony Shines with 28 points as Knicks Stay Alive
- Dirk Nowitzki Willing to Take Pay Cut to Give Mavs Salary-Cap Room
- Staying in Sacramento: NBA Owners Reject Kings Move to Seattle
- Defense and Rebounding Lift Pacers to 3-1 Series Lead Over Knicks
- Heat Bump Off Bulls, Advance to East Finals
- NBA Fines Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau for Postgame Comments
- Warriors Outplay Spurs in Overtime, Knot Series at 2-2
- Hibbert, Pacers Show Best Form in Beating Knicks
- Marc Gasol, Mike Conley Star as Grizzlies Take 2-1 Lead
- Seattle Pursues Kings with Increased $625M Bid
- Bosh-fueled Heat Hold On to Take 2-1 Series Lead on Bulls
- Tony Parker shines as Spurs take 2-1 lead over Warriors
- Bulls Joakim Noah Tells Reporter Getting 'Finger' Not Fun
- Amar'e Stoudemire to Beef up Knicks Frontline vs Pacers in Game 3
- Kobe Bryant Fights Mom over Memorabilia
- Lakers Forward Pau Gasol to Undergo Regeneration for Knees
- Ray Allen Scores 21 as Heat Tie Series with Bulls
- George Karl Wins NBA Coach of the Year
- Mike Conley's Heroics Push Grizzlies Past Thunder
- Suns Hire Celtics' Ryan McDonough as General Manager
- Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro on Shaky Ground after First-Round Exit
- Pacers Outmuscle Knicks to take Game 1
- Carlesimo Firing Nothing to Do with Nets Playoff Failure
- Joakim Noah Stars as Bulls Oust Nets in Game 7
- Kevin Durant Scores 27 as Thunder Oust Rockets in Six Games
- Zach Randolph Stars as Grizzlies Finish Off Clippers in Six
- LeBron James Earns Fourth MVP Trophy
- Phil Jackson to Advise Pistons During Coaching Search
- Warriors Survive Nuggets Late Rally to Advance
- James Harden Leads Rockets in Cutting Thunder Series Lead to 3-2
- Jeff Green Scores 18 as Celtics Close in on Knicks
- Blazers Damian Lillard Unanimously Selected Rookie of the Year
- Grizzlies Push Clippers to Brink of Elimination
- Andre Iguodala Stars as Nuggets down Warriors in Game 5
- Chandler Parsons Stars as Rockets Avoid Sweep by Thunder
- NBA Relocation Committee Rejects Kings Move to Seattle
- Andray Blatche Sizzles in 4th Quarter as Nets Prevail
- NBA Veteran Jason Collins Comes Out As Gay
- Spurs Coach on Sweep of Lakers: 'It wasn't a fair fight'
- Tony Parker scores 23 as Spurs Sweep Listless Lakers
- Heat Complete Four-Game Double Digit Sweep of Bucks
- Bulls Outlast Nets in Triple OT for 3-1 Series Lead
- Spurs Hand Lakers Worst-Ever Home Playoff Loss
- Raptors Eyeing Phil Jackson as Head of Basketball Operations
- Grizzlies Dominate Clippers in the Paint to Take Game 3
- Ray Allen Sizzles as Heat Scorch Bucks for 3-0 Lead
- Marc Gasol Named 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
- Cavs Like Mike: Brown Returns for Second Stint
- Bobcats Fire Mike Dunlap After 21-61 Season
- Knicks' J.R. Smith Wins NBA's Sixth Man Honor
- Chris Paul Jumper Carries Clippers to 2-0 Series Lead
- Heat President Pat Riley Says Its Doable to Keep Big 3 Intact
- Balanced Scoring Helps Thunder Defeat Rockets
- Dennis Rodman Projects Himself as FBI Informant, Global Peacemaker
- Duncan's Double-Double Helps Spurs top Lakers in Series Opener
- Paul George Triple-Double Lifts Pacers over Hawks
- Eric Bledsoe Lifts Clippers Past Grizzlies
- Carmelo Anthony Scores 36 as Knicks Defeat Celtics
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Clippers - Grizzlies Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Bulls - Nets Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Warriors - Nuggets Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Hawks - Pacers Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Rockets - Thunder Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Heat - Bucks Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Lakers - Spurs Series
- 2013 NBA Playoffs Preview: Celtics - Knicks Series
- Kings Ransom? Seattle Group Fears Stern is Siding with Sacramento
- Stoudemire Likely Out for Knicks Opening Playoff Round vs Celtics
- Pistons Fire Lawrence Frank after 29-win Season
- Mike D'Antoni to Remain Lakers Head Coach
- Cavs Fire Byron Scott Following Dismal 24-58 Season
- Phil Jackson Reportedly Wants NBA Front Office Post
- Michigan's Tim Hardaway Jr Opts for NBA Draft
- Quentin Richardson Fortifies Knicks for Playoffs
- Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart Puts NBA on Hold
- Spurs Sign Tracy McGrady
- Kentucky's Nerlens Noel Joins 2013 NBA Draft
- Georgetown Forward Otto Porter to Enter NBA Draft