Golf: A Spot of Tee in Palm Springs
By Edward Schmidt Jr.
When golf vacationers say, "We're playing Palm Springs," what they really mean is they're teeing up in the
With its rugged desert scenes and surprisingly lush, verdant fairways peppered with palm trees and framed by mountains, the
In recent years, marquee name golf designers like
Before you plan a Palm Springs golf vacation, here are a few things you should consider:
-- High season is generally February through April, when the temperatures are cooler and the sun shines brightly.
-- Value season is June or July through September when temperatures rise and green fees go down (dates vary among courses). The absolute lowest fees are "Twilight Rates" during the summer months when discounts can be as much as 50 to 60 percent.
-- Green fees range from
-- The area is home to two outstanding professional tournaments for those who enjoy watching the best golfers in the world. The
Here's a menu of the some of the best golf courses in the Palm Springs area:
Recognized by several publications as one of the finest new public access golf courses in
THE CLUB AT PGA WEST
Host site to the Bob Hope Classic,
INDIAN WELLS RESORT HOTEL
The Players Course at the classic
MARRIOTT'S SHADOW RIDGE II -- THE ENCLAVES
Set against a backdrop of the snow-capped
WESTIN MISSION HILLS RESORT & SPA
With its carpet-like fairways, 20 acres of lakes and four waterfalls, this course is brimming with high-impact features. At first glance, it's intimidating. Luckily, it's easier than it looks. Designer
Palm Springs Golf Vacation
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- 6 Tips for Traveling With Your Grandchildren
- How to Travel on a Budget
- Affordable Lake Tahoe: Truckee Vacation Rentals
- The Idyllic Islands of Georgia
- Gettysburg Family Vacation
- Golf: A Spot of Tee in Palm Springs
- Dublin's Pubs, Grub and Nightlife
- Copan Ruinas: Easy Indiana Jones Adventure
- Taking the Kids: When Everyone Else is Back in School
- Taking the Kids: Up-close & Personal with Animals at Zoos & Aquariums
- Taking the Kids: Bora Bora an Exotic Place That Loves Kids
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
- Rick Steves Travel: Historic Gdansk
- Rick Steves Travel: Intriguing Montenegro
- Suite and Not So Suite Hotels
- United's New Premier Travel Bundles
- Seniors on the Go: Amtraking This Fall
- 'Best' Credit Card for Frequent Flyers
(c) 2009 Travel Muse Distributed by Tribune Media Services, Inc.
WOLFGANG PUCK RECIPES
Wolfgang Puck, world-renowned chef with an extraordinary passion for food, now shares that passion in Wolfgang Puck's Kitchen. Wolfgang Puck makes great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Wolfgang Puck Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more from the Tribune's movie critic Michael Phillips. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Michael Phillips Movie Reviews Click Here