It takes just a few extra minutes to make decadent macaroni and cheese from scratch instead of a box. Whole-wheat macaroni boosts protein, fiber and whole-grain nutrients. Cut the total fat and saturated fat slightly by using a reduced-fat version of sharp cheddar and 1% low-fat milk.
Just one cup of this scrumptious and comforting side dish contains over one-third of your daily value for calcium!
Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
12 ounces whole-wheat macaroni
4 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces fontina cheese
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt to taste
- In a large 5-quart pan, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pan.
- Grate or shred cheeses while macaroni cooks. Set cheeses aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, mustard and garlic powder until thoroughly blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low; stirring often, simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat, add shredded cheeses and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni and toss gently until all macaroni is coated. Salt lightly to taste if desired.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Chicken And Vegetable Quesadillas - Cinco de Mayo Treat
- Chocolate Cherry Bread Pudding Recipe
- Giant White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut and Chocolate Marble Pound Cake
- Kaiserschmarrn: Viennese Mother's Day Brunch
- Chevre Tartlets with Hazelnuts and Fresh Herbs
- Whole-grain Macaroni and Cheese
- Fish In Pine Nut Sauce: Spanish Tapa for Dinner
- Roasted Salmon Fillets Topped with Mustard Herb Butter
- Margarita Cod Recipe
- Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
- Better Supermarket Shortcut Meals
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sugar
- Quinoa: Nutritious Mother Grain of the Incas
- Omega-3 Enriched Eggs an 'Eggs-traordinary' Choice for Heart Health
- Omega-3 Rich Healthy Diet Recipe
- Best Cooking Methods for Heartburn Sufferers
- Popover Pancake with Mascarpone and Berries
- Pork Medallions With Onion Marmalade
- Spring Chicken Salad Recipe
- Spring Pea Soup with Bacon and Chives
- Smoked Salmon Not Just for Brunch Anymore Recipes
- Sweet and Tender Artichoke Hearts Recipes
- Going Green Organic Smoothies
- Pepper-spiced Pecans and Almonds
- Secrets to Money-saving Meals
- Food Allergy Update
- Vegetables a la Greque
- Three Cheese Macaroni with Caramelized Leeks, Prosciutto and Peas
- Beef and Bean Chili Recipe
- Braised Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and Fennel
- Asparagus, the Perennial Spring Miracle
- Healthiest Artificial Sweetener
- Enjoying Tuna Without Endangering Your Health
- Eight Uncommon Fruits Worth A Try
Whole-grain Macaroni and Cheese - Recipes
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
- White Bean Soup with Pancetta and Swiss Chard
- Roasted Red Pepper, Wine and Red Lentil Soup
- Whipped Ricotta Dip with Garlic-Rubbed Toasts
- Modern and Lighter Farmer's Market Cobb Salad
- Huevos Rancheros - Put More Power in Your Breakfast
- Quiche Lorraine
- Pear, Ginger and Pecan Muffins
- Fettuccine with Roasted Red Peppers
- Emily's Tomato Risotto
- Pappardelle Topped with Veal Ragout
- Eggplant Recipes, King of Middle Eastern Vegetables
- Portobello and Goat Cheese Vegetarian Sandwich
- Chicken and Onion Grilled Sandwiches
- Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Figs, Pancetta and Gorgonzola
- Stew in a Jiffy: Moroccan Lamb Stew
- Sausages and Peppers in Beer
- Maque Choux and Skillet Pork Chops
- Roquefort Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Pears
- Braised Pork Chops with Apricot Cranberry Sauce
- Braised Pork Chops with Rosemary, Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Roasted Pork Loin With Granny Smith Apples
- Steamed Fish Filets with Tarragon Butter
- Sesame-Ginger Salmon Fillets With Celery Root Puree
- Mississippi Apple Pie
- Thai Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango
- Perfect Pear Dessert Recipes
- Doughnut Delight - 3 Doughnut Recipes
- Caramelized Apples: One Recipe with Many Variations
- Warm Apple and Plum Crisp with Ginger Snap Crust
- Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cups
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Ginger Creme Brulee
- Deep-Dish Pumpkin Pie with Cranberry Marmalade
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food now share their passion on iHaveNet.com. Diane Rossen Worthington and others make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each recipe includes an expert tip and an easy-to-follow recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
More Recipes ...