Looking for a seasonal twist for cocktails? Try persimmon
Persimmons are finally in season and they are all around us. At the supermarket, at farmers markets and, if you're lucky, on your own tree. I am a late bloomer when it comes to this delicious fruit -- it wasn't until last year that I was introduced to them.
I bought a few persimmons not really knowing what I was going to do with them. I bookmarked a post from the blog White on Rice for Grandma's Persimmon Cookies but never got around to making them. I also bookmarked Chocolate Persimmon Muffins on another blog but again failed to follow through.
Soon enough, I found myself with some very ripe persimmons and a few recipes that I had put at the top of my "to-do" list. After a 40-minute nap, I started dinner. I resolved to attempt the chocolate persimmon muffins, but it didn't happen. Instead, I pureed the persimmon and made a cocktail. I don't even drink, but I guess that is what I needed.
My husband and I sipped on these mojitos while I made salad dressing and pureed soup. I froze the rest of the persimmon puree in ice cube trays, which now rest comfortably in my freezer for either a sweet treat or more mojitos.
This drink is the perfect blend of sour and sweet -- not too strong, but with just enough of a kick to confirm that this is not a slushy but indeed a superlative cocktail.
Makes two 8-ounce cocktails.
3 tablespoons persimmon puree (see note)
6 ounces good rum
6-8 fresh mint leaves, bruised with a mortar and pestle
4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons simple syrup
Place ice in a beverage shaker, add rum, bruised mint leaves, lime juice and simple syrup. Shake well and pour over crushed ice in a tall glass. Add the persimmon puree and combine gently, and top off with club soda.
Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves.
Note: To puree persimmons, follow these steps. First, remove the green stem, cut two slits through the skin with a paring knife at the top of the fruit, and drop in boiling water for about a minute. Remove from water and immediately remove and discard the skin. Puree in a blender or juicer. Leftover puree can be frozen in an ice cube tray.
Cocktail Recipe, Cuban Cuisine
- Everyday Superfoods: 4 Easy and Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- Everyday Superfoods: Oat Recipes You'll Love
- Nothing Beats Fresh, Homemade Pita Bread
- Persimmon Mojito
- Crispy Potato-Apple Pancakes: A No-Fail Method
- Focaccia with Fresh Thyme
- Fig and Raspberry Bakewell Tarts
- Coconut Black Rice Pudding
- Spiced Sweet Potato, Cranberry and Pecan Cake with Orange-Cinnamon Glaze
- Pumpkin-Caramel Ice Cream Pie
- Maple Pecan Tart with Dried Cherries
- Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Cookie Wings
- French Onion Beef Tenderloin
- Grilled Shrimp Bruschetta with Romesco Sauce
- Alternative Flours Offer Variety and Nutrition
- Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Soup with Dill Whipped Cream
- Roasted Pumpkin-Apple Soup
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
- Delicata Squash Stuffed with Mushrooms, Farro, Pecans and Dried Cranberries
- Sweet and Spicy Roasted Carrots, Parsnips and Chickpeas
- Cornbread Stuffing with Brussels Sprouts and Squash
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Orange-Raisin Sauce
- Parsnips with Horseradish and Chives
- Pumpkin Risotto
- Manicotti Baresi al Forno
- Pasta with Spicy Tomato and Sausage Sauce
- Spicy Eggplant Fettuccine with Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
- Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- Spinach, Mushroom, Tomato, and Gorgonzola Pizza
- Alien Pizza Squares
- Hot Baked Nutella and Cream Cheese Sandwich
- Shortbread with Chocolate and Candied Walnuts
- Sour Cream Vanilla Cupcakes
- Chocolate Pretzel and Cherry Popcorn Balls
- Homemade Apple Sauce
- Austrian-Style Boiled Beef with Pickled Pumpkin
- Smoky Maple-Mustard Salmon
- Pan-Seared Fish Fillets with White Bean Ragout and Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette
- Radicchio Salad with Green Olives and Parmesan
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable
- ALL RECIPES
- MAIN COURSES
- BEEF / VEAL
- SIDE DISHES
- WOLFGANG PUCK