Here's a novel way to use those luscious mangoes now at the height of their season: Puree them with curry and fresh ginger to create a spicy Asian sauce for tuna steaks.
Peeling a mango and removing the pulp can be messy. Try this easy method: Steady the mango upright on a cutting board with the narrow side facing you.
With a serrated knife, slice off each side of the mango as close to the seed as possible. Hold one of the halves, peel side down, in the palm of your hand and scoop out the pulp with a spoon. Repeat with the other half.
The timing in this recipe is for a 1-inch thick tuna steak. It will be very rare in the center. If you like it more well done, saute an 1 extra minute on each side.
The sauce tastes even better the next day. Save extra sauce and use on grilled pork or chicken.
Short cut tip: Omit the rice with caramelized onions recipe given. Instead, make a quick cooking rice. To complete the meal serve the tuna and rice with some sliced tomatoes.
WINE SUGGESTION: These sweet and spicy flavors would go well with a semi-dry Riesling.
-- Any type of sweet onion can be used for the rice dish.
-- To save cleaning up time, use the same skillet for the onions and tuna. There's no need to wash the skillet in between.
-- Saute onions.
-- Place water for rice on to boil.
-- Make mango sauce.
-- Cook rice.
-- Make tuna.
Pan Seared Tuna with Curry Mango Sauce
1 medium mango (about 1 pound to make 1 cup mango puree)
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 scallion, sliced
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 pound fresh tuna, cut into 2 portions
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pan Seared Tuna with Curry Mango Sauce Directions:
Process mango pulp, lime juice, ginger and curry powder in a food processor or blender until smooth. Remove and stir in the scallion and water. Set aside.
Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high. Sear tuna 2 minutes. Turn and salt and pepper the cooked side. Sear second side 2 minutes. Remove to 2 dinner plates and spoon mango sauce on top. Serve the remaining sauce at the table. Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 290 calories (21 percent from fat), 6.8 g fat (1.2 g saturated, 3.8 g monounsaturated), 78 mg cholesterol, 40.9 g protein, 16.0 g carbohydrates, 2.3 g fiber, 64 mg sodium.
RICE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided use
1 medium Vidalia onion, thinly sliced (2 cups)
1/2 cup Basmati rice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium-size nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onion and saute 10 minutes or until golden.
Bring a large saucepan with 3 quarts water to a boil. Add the rice, stir once or twice and boil 10 minutes. Drain and toss with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the caramelized onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 275 calories (24 percent from fat), 7.2 g fat (1.1 g saturated, 5.1 g monounsaturated), no cholesterol, 4.6 g protein, 47.7 g carbohydrates, 2.6 g fiber, 7 mg sodium.
Here are the ingredients you'll need for tonight's dinner.
To buy: 1 medium mango (about 1 pound ), 3 limes, 1 bottle ground ginger, 1 small bunch scallions, 1 medium Vidalia onion, 3/4 pound fresh tuna, 1 jar curry powder and 1 small package Basmati rice.
Staples: Olive oil, salt and black peppercorns.
- Spectacular Summertime Ice Cream Recipe
- Thai Mango with Coconut Sticky Rice
- Pan Seared Tuna with Curry Mango Sauce Recipe
- Double 'Cooked' Salmon with a Twist of Orange
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salsa
- Korean Grilled Beef with Green Rice
- Cheesy Tex-Mex Rice
- Oregon Summer Panino
- Weekend Breakfast Recipe: Crunchy Pecan Waffles
- Gazpacho, What to Make When It's Too Hot to Cook
- The Path to a Healthy Vegan Diet
- Don't Slip Out the Door in the Morning Without Some Fuel
- Accounting for Taste: Why is a Delicacy to Some a Serving of Slop to Others?
- Turmeric: Super-Spice for Health
- Many Grocery Staples Are Getting More Expensive
- Grilled Smoky Swordfish Kabobs
- Easy Summer Side Dish: Grilled Mushrooms with Garlic Butter En Papillote
- Greek Salad: Simplicity at its Best
- Simple and Elegant: Chicken Scaloppine
- A Taste of Paris: Artichoke, Kale and Ricotta Pie
- Granita: The Taste of Summer
- Kids' Nutrition: Remake Snacks Into Treats You Can Live With
- 10 Reasons to Love Pineapple
- Fourth of July Barbecue: Celebrity Chefs Recommend
- Patriotic Potato Chips: Red and White Chips with American Blue Cheese Sauce
- Grilled Chicken Mango Salad Gets a Makeover
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Poached Rhubarb Royale
- Sweet Vidalia Onion Soup
- A Rose-Tasting Party to Kickstart Summer
- Summertime Chicken Salads: Chinois Curried Chicken Salad
- Grilled and Glazed Pork With Apricots
- Grilled Mexican Chicken with Citrus Yogurt Sauce
- One for the Table: Classic Lasagna
- Thai-Style Omelet (Kai Jeow)
- Low Country Favorite: Shrimp and Grits
- Szechuan Rib-Eye Steaks With Caramelized Shallot Sauce
- Bone-In Rib-Eye Steak with Wasabi Sour Cream
- Nicaraguan Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri
- Halibut with Bread Crumbs and Smoke-Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Ultimate Ladies' Lunch Recipe: West Indies Salad
- Sauteed Cutlets with Crisp Caper and Lemon Sauce
- Grilled Banana Splits
- Triple Berry Ice Pops
- Goat Cheese and Poblano Quesadillas with Pineapple-Mango-Habanero Salsa
- Sausage Pizza Topped with Crispy Kale
- Greek-Style Chopped Vegetable Salad With Creamy Yogurt Vinaigrette
- Mediterranean Strawberry-Spinach Couscous Salad
- Barbecued Fish Tacos
- Bring Back Sunday Dinner - Italian Style
- A Tartine of Spring Greens and Herbs
- The Rocket: Spicy, Green Arugula Takes Off
- The Apple Trick: On Not Tricking Kids into Eating Well
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Crab-Stuffed Sweet Spanish Peppers: Refreshing Summertime Appetizer
- Crispy Crab Cakes with a Citrus Finish
- Sheryl Crow's Roasted Spring Vegetables with Quinoa
- Orange Sesame Roasted Asparagus Salad
- Apricot Pasta Salad
- Barley Salad With Green Garlic and Snap Peas
- How To Make Crumble Topping for Baked Fruit
- Summer Rice Salad: Fresh and Healthy Side for Grilling Season
- Grilled Scallop Brochettes with Almond Caper Relish
- Greek Chicken and Spinach Casserole
- Stress-Free Date Night Dinner: Shrimp Scampi and Chocolate Mousse
- Radicchio and Orange Salad with Citrus-Champagne Vinaigrette
- Pizza for Breakfast
- Spiced Rhubarb Chutney
- Bread Pudding with Mixed Berries and Chocolate Dessert Recipe
- Asparagus with Tarragon Mustard Vinaigrette Recipe
- Grilled Steaks California Style
- Springtime Farro with Baby Artichokes Mushrooms and Peas
- Salmon and Couscous with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Brewing Great Coffee With the Pour-Over Method
- Green Pea and Mint Soup
- Perfect Party Fare: Cold Poached Salmon
- Asparagus Bacon and Cheese Quiche
- Fun on a Stick: How to Make Cake Pops
- Spinach, Arugula and Walnut Pesto With Whole-wheat Linguine
- Muffins to Eat Now or Freeze for Later
- Blueberry Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake
- Grilled Chicken Spiedini
- Nutrition Is 'In the Pink' with Rhubarb
- Strawberry Pan Souffle Dessert Recipe
- Dress up Chicken with Chicken Dijonnaise
- Lemon Breakfast Rolls Really Perk Up Your Morning
- Sherry-Garlic Soup with Smoked Paprika
- Special Sauce: Deliciousness Galore in 'The Sriracha Cookbook'
- Vegetable Paella: Best Springtime Side Dish
- Peppery Whole Wheat Pasta with Wilted Chard
- The Jucy Lucy Cheeseburger
- Mother's Day Waffles
- Two Rounds of Batter Make the Perfect French Fry
- Ginger Orange Broccolini With Spring Vegetables
- Bold and Beautiful Spices for Healthy Eating
- Much (Well Deserved) Ado About Mangoes
- Crab Cakes Benedict: A Special Treat for Easter Brunch
- Spring Vegetable Saute
- Springtime Pasta
- Quick and Tangy Artichoke Barigoule
- Spring Starter Recipe: Cool Langostino and Cucumber Crackers
- Banana-macadamia Pancakes
- Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- Passover and Easter Foods Done Healthy
- Citrus Almond Torte with Fresh Berries
- Coconut Curry Shrimp
- Rutabaga and Celeriac Puree with Seared Scallops
- Weeknight Meal Option: Quick-Cooking Couscous
- Radishes: Spring's Favorite Vegetable
- Learning to Love Brussels Sprouts
- Jicama, Mango and Black Bean Salsa
- Lemon Risotto with Fresh Pea Sauce and Seared Sea Scallops
- Easter Lamb: California-Bistro Style
- Vibrant and Dyed Naturally: Vegetable-Dyed Easter Eggs
- A Matter of Taste: Europeans on American Food
- Spicy Honey-Glazed Baby-Back Pork Ribs
- Garden Vegetable Saute: The Little Black Dress of Side Dishes
- Wilted Spinach Salad Takes Center Stage
- Breakfast Favorite With a Twist: Peanut Butter and Honey Granola
- How to Buy, Clean and Prepare Asparagus
- Zesty White Chicken Chili
- Foods That Help Men Stay Healthy
- Broccoli Rabe: Broccoli's Bolder Cousin
- Minestrone Soup with Clams and Saffron Pasta
- Roasted Cornish Hens with Orange-Honey-Mustard Glaze
- A Very English Chicken Potpie
- Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs and Shallots
- Make-Ahead Gougeres for an Easy but Elegant Brunch
- Secrets to Speed Cooking
- Frozen White and Milk Chocolate Mousse
- Quesadillas with Caramelized Onions, Chicken and Jack cheese
- Quick and Elegant Dinner: Steak au Poivre with Shallot Pan Sauce
- Rigatoni with Walnut, Parsley and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Fruit Toppings for Pancakes: Easy to Love, Easy to Make
- Flavorful Food Without Salt Or Salty Ingredients
- Healthy Comfort Foods (Really!)
- Rotisserie Garlic Rosemary Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
- Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts with Dilled Baby Rainbow Carrots
- Confetti Corn Bread-Crusted Shrimp in Creole Filling
- Taste of Texas: Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Bread
- Make Dinner Out of Odds and Ends with a Vegetable Frittata
- Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie for St. Patrick's Day
- Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
- King Cake: New Orleans-Style Recipe for Mardi Gras
- A Sweet Polenta Surprise for Breakfast
- Biscuits Offer Quick Comfort
- 6 Ways to Eat Well for Less
- Adaptogens: Natural Remedies For Anxiety
- Brown Rice: Right Rice for Nutrients, Fiber, Flavor
- Fennel: Versatile and Healthy Vegetable You Should Get to Know
- 3 Perfect Post-workout Meals
- Curried Barley Pilaf
- Pan-seared Scallops With Cabernet Mushroom Shallot Sauce
- The Perfect Potluck
- Foods to Boost Your Moods
- How Terrible is it to Skip Meals?
- Create a Healthy Diet
- 8 Foods for a Beautiful Smile
- Is Your Lunch Safe to Eat?
Available at Amazon.com:
Pan Seared Tuna with Curry Mango Sauce - Healthy Seafood Recipes
(c) 2011 McClatchy-Tribune News Service
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable
- ALL RECIPES
- MAIN COURSES
- BEEF / VEAL
- SIDE DISHES
- WOLFGANG PUCK